Has a coach ever changed his scheme?

rocky_rams

9 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Ravens last year when Lamar Jackson came in?

this is the best answer

i used to honestly think a team with a guy who went down signing kaepernick would be nonpracticable because kap's skillset is different to a lot of guys and would require a different scheme to get the best out of him, and that it would be nigh impossible to change your scheme that radically in a short time span - but harbs very much changed that thought of mine lol

Belichick and Brady might change the offense every week.

They find the weakness of the other team and that's how the offense plays that week.

Spread? 2 TEs?  Run the ball 40 times? Pass the ball 55 times? flea flickers and reverses and WR option passes?

It all depends on what the film says in the week leading up to the game.

If you are just talking actual philosophy of offense then Shanahan in DC with RG3,  Harbaugh in SF, and Harbaugh in Baltimore.

I would also say that the Chiefs offense has evolved since Andy has been there. (the 2002, 2003, and 2004 Eagles offenses changed drastically based on personnel too)

• 2002 running QB heavy + passing game to RB focused when McNabb got hurt for 6 games
  • 2003 - 3 headed RB offense (Duce. Buckhalter. Westbrook)
  • 2004 - Pass happy with TO, TEs, and Westbrook

The 2014 Chiefs had zero TDs to WRs. The 2018 Chiefs had 24 TDs to WRs.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:18 PM, rocky_rams said:

In light of the Rams recent struggles, most of us fans out majority blame on McVay. 

The OL sucks and Goff is struggling but McVay put the team in that position. 

His offense has been largely figured out and has become stale. He hasn’t made the necessary adjustments and we keep seeing the same concepts. 

McVay may need to think about taking another approach toward the stale offense  

Has a coach ever changed their philosophy/concepts/scheme mostly or even entirely and proved to be successful afterwards? 

I cant think off the top of my head of any 

PS. please don’t derail this thread talking about OL and Goff. Those are different topics for a different thread 

I think your GM deserves a ton of blame for the Rams being in the position they are in at least in terms of being in cap hell and having no first round picks for awhile.

That being said - Belichick will change his scheme on any given week if he thinks that will play to the weakness of the upcoming opponent. 

No other team has ever successfully replicated this though.