GDT Week 2: Cowboys @ Broncos - Witten in the Stars

Texas_OutLaw7

3 hours ago, Texasmade said:

Agreed, but Denver doesn't have NY's front seven. Von Miller is Von Miller ob-veez, but NY's collective unit is arguably the best in the league, with only Seattle capable of presenting something to the contrary. Win up front, and the secondary as good as it is, becomes much less impactful. 

I don't know I watched part of the Denver game Monday as we play both teams just to see mostly how good their QB is I was very impressed how fast their front 7 looked it also should be noted noise is gonna be an issue. Dak can not run the no huddle like he did against Giants. So yes real test on Collins Green.  And Smith better have his A game   Play calling has to be spot on in the huddle no adjustments can be made on the fly.   Scoring first would be huge here.  I still think our WR can get open.  Especially Beas and Williams if he runs the crisp routes.   Written I am afraid will need to really help on Miller most the time.  Dez also should have a better go as the match up here much easier on him then the Giant game.   Still running effectively on 1st down key.  I am actually worried play action and RPO may not be effective at all as they really seem to just want to press the back field.    I think we need the coach to tell us if trap blocking is the answer though we don't do that much with this group

26 minutes ago, Dirk Gently said:

Why would Zeke be ineligible?

The NFL put the power squeeze (decide by today or ELSE we go over your head) on the judge who put in the injunction last week to make a "final ruling" on the suspension so they can then appeal the ruling to the appellate court like they did with Brady which ultimately up held the suspension that had been overturned. This took a "year" with Brady, NFL wants it to happen immediately.

2 hours ago, quiller said:

The NFL put the power squeeze (decide by today or ELSE we go over your head) on the judge who put in the injunction last week to make a "final ruling" on the suspension so they can then appeal the ruling to the appellate court like they did with Brady which ultimately up held the suspension that had been overturned. This took a "year" with Brady, NFL wants it to happen immediately.

You think badgering the judge who is deciding your case is a good legal tactic? Especially when your current argument is WAY weaker than the arguments said judge publicly spanked you on a week ago?

Why is one of the key matchups:

"Our rookie secondary" 

?

I thought I squashed that last week.  We played Awuzie 38 snaps last week ONLY because Scan broke his hand.  Other than that no other rookie got a snap.

So why do we have a rookie secondary?  

That's like saying Scott Linehan loves to call run plays.  It's simply not true.

But when has that mattered?

Another really good d. 

Secondary is about equal( giants have slight advantage at safety where as Denver has one at corner). 

Front 7 goes to giants, but von miller may have best jump / first step in the league and Collins will need to get out of of his stance quick and even then has that spin to worry about. He did pretty well vs a similar guy in JPP,  but JPP did just go wide a handful of times. He'll need to be even better this week. Really hope we run it a good amount at Miller and allow Collins to deal out some punishment. And I generally just hope we run a lot everywhere. 

23 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Scandrick officially out for this game. I expect Jourdan Lewis to see the field in dime packages.

A note on this- according to KD Drummond, the Cowboys never played with 4 CBs on the field last year. Not once. They played plenty of dime, but it was exclusively 3 CB/3 S looks, to maintain run integrity, I suppose. We saw this against the Giants with Frazier as the 3rd safety.

That said, Dallas was able to do this because Jones was able to flex between CB and S and guard guys in man at the LOS. Maybe this year, with Awuzie as a similar player, we do see some 4 CB looks. But perhaps not very many.

The three safety look is a staple of Marinelli defenses going back well over a decade. He has rarely used four corners but HAS played a a 4th corner as a cover safety in his 3 safety looks.

I do feel our risk with young corners is a problem, but, as pointed out, we have a lot od veteran depth in front of that youth. Bene Benwikere is a very underrated all-around cover guy just like Nolan Carrol and our own homegrown Orlando Scandrick. Add in the fact that Byron can easily play any of the outside or inside cover spots and that Awuzie can just as easily slide back to a safety role, and the versatility and depth in the secondary has very little youth and more veteran know-how and movement in its looks/matchup potential than it has in probably a decade.

Our DL looked great against the Giants rushing the passer and stopping the run.  Most critics say the majority of the credit goes to the Giants OL being horrible.

Which makes me wonder... What does Denver's OL look like?  I know they were really weak there the last 2 years, and had to acquire talent in the off-season(including Ron Leary).  But I am reading that he won't even be playing this game.

So how good is Denver's line compared to what we just faced?  If we can't get to the passer then it won't matter how young, old, or experienced our DBs are.  If we can dominate a bad OL again then the same can be said.

Archived