The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

WindyCity

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I wish Nagy would have tried to move the pocket and get Tru moving rather than standing back like a traditional QB. He had a lot of success  the last few weeks doing so then suddenly it all went out the door. What did they do, 3 or 4 bootlegs at most?

Nagy needs to utilize his talent to the best of their abilities, whether it means going big and power running, spread passing and trying to do a lot of stretches or whatever. But if you have something that works then don't just walk away from it. Hopefully he does a better job of that in 2020 with whoever he gets to add to the team. 

I feel the exact same way.  Do what works well for your QB.  It's clear that he's a better and more efficient QB when they do this kind of stuff instead of trying to make him a pure pocket passer with shoddy protection.

Nagy needs to do a lot of self reflection this off season and swallow his pride a bit.  Maybe what he's doing will benefit Mitch long term but it has cost the team wins and a playoff spot in the short term.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yes, Houston's OL is easily the worst in football. The Bears' line sucks but it's not in the same hemisphere. There's a reason that they felt that they had to trade more for Tunsil than the Bears did for Mack...and it still sucks.

How is it the worst in football when they can consistently run the ball? I watch Watson highlights all the time and his big plays occur with no one near him.  If you define "suck' as they give up a lot of sacks I bet that's because Watson holds on to the ball way too much.

Edited by Nads786

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

How is it the worst in football when they can consistently run the ball? I watch Watson highlights all the time and his big plays occur with no one near him.  If you define "suck' as they give up a lot of sacks I bet that's because Watson holds on to the ball way too much.

You watch the highlights. Good. I doubt Watson getting hammered almost immediately will make the highlights. 

Trust me, the Texans' line is pathetic. Every year, every draftnik is begging them to take OL and they typically neglect it.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Yes, Houston's OL is easily the worst in football. The Bears' line sucks but it's not in the same hemisphere. There's a reason that they felt that they had to trade more for Tunsil than the Bears did for Mack...and it still sucks.

Not even close.

Tunsil-one of the best LTs in football

Scharping-2nd round pick

Martin-good veteran

Fulton-solid veteran

Howard-1st round pick.

16 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You watch the highlights. Good. I doubt Watson getting hammered almost immediately will make the highlights. 

Trust me, the Texans' line is pathetic. Every year, every draftnik is begging them to take OL and they typically neglect it.

Watson holds the ball longer than any QB in the league.

In addition to trading for Tunsil they spent 1st and 2nd round picks this season on the line.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Not even close.

Tunsil-one of the best LTs in football

Scharping-2nd round pick

Martin-good veteran

Fulton-solid veteran

Howard-1st round pick.

Just because guys were taken in the 1st round or 2nd round doesn't make them good (see Leonard Floyd and Adam Shaheen). No disagreement on Tunsil. Martin is ok. Fulton stinks. Howard hasn't played much this year due to injury and when he was, he was only decent. When a guy is lost for the year and the coach doesn't say "it's a big loss" but instead says "he's had some good moments this year," it speaks to the level of Howard's play.

How many of the playoff teams would ether Leno or Massie to stat on?

Sea-Massie

GB-Nope

NO-Nope

SF-Nope

Min-Nope

Dal-Nope

Balt-Nope

NE-Nope

Buf-Nope

KC-Nope

Hou-Nope

Pit-Nope

Massie would be starting for Houston currently. He may also play for Buffalo which would allow them to put Ford inside where he belongs.

NE's OL sucks, too, as do the OT's for the Vikings.

The Saints, Chiefs, Steelers, Ravens, Cowboys, Packers, and 49ers wouldn't trade their LT for Tunsil, either.

We're splitting hairs at this stage. If you think Houston's OL is better than the Bears' at this point, I won't be changing your mind ever.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

Just because guys were taken in the 1st round or 2nd round doesn't make them good (see Leonard Floyd and Adam Shaheen). No disagreement on Tunsil. Martin is ok. Fulton stinks. Howard hasn't played much this year due to injury and when he was, he was only decent. When a guy is lost for the year and the coach doesn't say "it's a big loss" but instead says "he's had some good moments this year," it speaks to the level of Howard's play.

Their line is better than the Bears. Their QB is also better.

If you were mixing the lines you would start 3-4 Texans.

Their line is better than the Bears. Their QB is also better.

If you were mixing the lines you would start 3-4 Texans.

I'd take Tunsil and Scharping. That's it. Give me Massie for a start over Howard. If you're talking about 5 years from now, obviously I take Howard due to age.

Tunsil, Scharping, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Massie would be starting for Houston currently. He may also play for Buffalo which would allow them to put Ford inside where he belongs.

NE's OL sucks, too, as do the OT's for the Vikings.

The Saints, Chiefs, Steelers, Ravens, Cowboys, Packers, and 49ers wouldn't trade their LT for Tunsil, either.

We're splitting hairs at this stage. If you think Houston's OL is better than the Bears' at this point, I won't be changing your mind ever.

Because your wrong.

Marcus Cannon and Isiah Wynn are better than Leno and Massie

Brian O'Niel and Riley Rieff are better than Leno and Massie.

Tytus Howard was playing better than Massie.

The question did not have anything to do with Houston. It is that the Bears do not have playoff level OTs.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I'd take Tunsil and Scharping. That's it. Give me Massie for a start over Howard. If you're talking about 5 years from now, obviously I take Howard due to age.

Tunsil, Scharping, Whitehair, Daniels, Massie

You are over rating our guys. Massie has been outplayed by a scrap heap veteran.

Lost in a 12-4 season in 2018 was the fact that our OL was not very effective in the run game.  I didn't notice it until rewatching many games to assess Trubisky, but it seems like more run plays than not had someone walking right by Leno or pushing the guards and center backwards.  The big difference is this year they extended that level of performance to the pass game.

The OL play is just a piece of the puzzle that forms the tapestry of "meh" that is the Bears in 2019. 

What's truly bizarre about this team is how difficult they are to evaluate, at least beyond their record.  For much of the season the narrative is that Trubisky is baffled by zone coverage, and then right before the Packers game someone put out stats that he's had far far better results against zone than man.  I'm listening to podcasts to start the week, and in one they're talking about how much time Trubisky had to throw-almsot 3 seconds-and in another they're talking about he looked pressured all day.   When a group is difficult to evaluate, but generally agreed to be not very good, I think the conclusion has to be that all of it is mediocre.   The WORST thing about this season is that evaluations of Trubisky-which is critical for determining how to improve the team for contention-can best be called "inconclusive" as he's played OK-to-very-good recently, but also absolutely terrible at other times.  I think we're pretty much guaranteed to keep trying with 10 next season, and while I think we'll bring on a veteran and maybe draft a guy, and I think that's just going to make us an ALMOST good enough team for the next couple years.  

Maybe the Bears will fix the TE and OL groups this offseason, but realistically I think you're looking at a top 10-15 offensive unit at best again.  The Bears really bet the farm on the team being good enough to contend this year and next, and they're probably not going to do it, as their biggest investments needed to produce game changing players and they've got an average QB that hints at more maybe, and a top tier pass rusher that isn't changing games regularly.  We're not going to be bad enough in 2020 to be able to have our pick of QB, so who knows when this team will get it all together. 

I ended up watching the game on delay, and also ended up mixing red wine and bourbon over the course of the night, and I am still hungover.