The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

WindyCity

48 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Anyone feel like Daniels is a bust? He doesn't do anything well and I keep seeing him get owned by players like Kenny Clark the last game. 

@WindyCity Daniels has had a terrible year.  I think he showed great potential in his rookie year though and his college tape is great.

Daniels has all the tools to be great.  

Time will tell which Daniels is the real Daniels.  I think odds are better than not he will be good in long run.

My theory is he went back to Iowa in off season to study, cram and graduate.   During that time he did not adequately prepare at level a professional athlete needs to prepare in terms of his body and his technique and it cost him.

I also think, also without much evidence just a guess, that other members of O line did not adequately prepare.  I think Whitehair had a lot of personal stuff and his first baby, I think Leno fell in love or more in love and didn't focus on football.  

I think Coward came into camp out of shape.  He looked fat and tired in camp.  Maybe he thought he was going to be a seldom used back up again and just got lazy?  Who knows.

Life happens, but at top of the pyramid if you aren't Superman athletically you have to really work to compete at your sport.  Other people aren't standing still and every year is a new year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They added Zach Kline on a 7/season deal to play RG

They drafted Garrett Bradbury at 18 to play C.

And 2nd round pick from 18 Brian O'Niel developed into a stud.

Coaching matters, but they spent big and upgraded 2/5 spots on their line with premium players.

Exactly. Their o-line is night and day better than last year, just look at Cousins stats and play this season....outside of the game against us earlier this season he is having a career year after looking like dog crap for most of last year.

I will also give credit to the OC Stefanski and Gary Kubiak.  Those guys have committed to the ground game this year and it is paying off for them.

On second thought maybe bringing DeFilippo in to Bears isn't such a good idea after all lol.  I think our passing game is fine but we definitely need a boost in the run game, so maybe hire a run-game coordinator like others have suggested since Nagy is too arrogant to commit to the ground game himself?

This whole short passing game they have been calling to replace the run game is cute but it is not very effective.

So in summary we need for Pace to invest heavily into the o-line this offseason, both FA and draft and then force Nagy to make changes when it comes to running the football.  Whether that means firing/hiring new position coaches, so be it.  Something needs to change.  This is two year under this offense with Nagy and both years we have sucked at running the football.  No more Jordan Howard or RB personnel excuses.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Anyone feel like Daniels is a bust? He doesn't do anything well and I keep seeing him get owned by players like Kenny Clark the last game. 

No I don't think he is a bust.  He showed too much promise in year 1 to feel that way IMO.  Now obviously he hasn't built off that going into this year  but the whole line has pretty much stunk this season so it's not a fair evaluation.

He is still a very young and talented player with lots of room to get better.  Not sure you can say the same about any of the others on the line.  We already know Whitehair is what he is and that is a solid dependable guy.  Leno and Massie are way too up and down and Coward doesn't really exhibit starting quality features.

18 hours ago, topwop1 said:

On second thought maybe bringing DeFilippo in to Bears isn't such a good idea after all lol.  I think our passing game is fine but we definitely need a boost in the run game, so maybe hire a run-game coordinator like others have suggested since Nagy is too arrogant to commit to the ground game himself?

I agree on all counts but just want to comment on the above.

Remember Defilippo would just be there to develop the quarterback, because Nagy isn't giving up play calling duties anyway. Our OC is basically either going to be an overpaid quarterback coach or an overpaid offensive line.

Regardless of which one they do I'm willing to make them with my imaginary money lol) of the highest-paid OCs in the game if they can dramatically improve one of those two spots. I'd overpay for both if they could fix both spots. Co-offensive coordinators, whatever. Two offensive coordinators makes is chump change compared to how much they could make if they were actually consistently making the postseason and winning a lot of games in general. I mean come on, Chase Daniel was paid 6 million to do absolutely nothing to help the team for the bulk of the season. I'd invest that into coaching without any issue LOL

Edited by Sugashane

On 12/19/2019 at 9:51 AM, WindyCity said:

They need 3 OLmen

-Veteran RG capable of starting week 1

-High upside OT to compete at RT or LT.

-Mid round OG/OT to develop to replace someone.

I kind of wish we would see Alex Bars get out there so we can have an idea if the kid can play in the NFL. I'd hate for him to be someone we find out is a solid player after we spend $$$ or a high draft pick on a RG.

Coward is fine for depth, I suppose.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

I kind of wish we would see Alex Bars get out there so we can have an idea if the kid can play in the NFL. I'd hate for him to be someone we find out is a solid player after we spend $$$ or a high draft pick on a RG.

Coward is fine for depth, I suppose.

I think we'll see him out there too.  The Bears aren't going to quit, but I bet they'll also be experimenting and evaluating over the next couple games. 

No matter what the Bears need to prioritize OL this offseason.  It wasn't that long ago that we thought the entire OL was good and Long was healthy and we STILL were worried about depth.  Depth has become starting players and the OL sucks.

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think we'll see him out there too.  The Bears aren't going to quit, but I bet they'll also be experimenting and evaluating over the next couple games. 

No matter what the Bears need to prioritize OL this offseason.  It wasn't that long ago that we thought the entire OL was good and Long was healthy and we STILL were worried about depth.  Depth has become starting players and the OL sucks.

I'd have to think we address RG in the draft or free agency. Coward is fine as depth and Bars seems like a player management likes but perhaps only as depth at this point. 

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

Any chance Hiestand is whacked? 

Bill Callahan should be available... 

A somewhat good chance I'd guess

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

If I had to guess now I'd imagine we sign a G in FA and use our first rd. 2 pick on OT. Jackson and Niang are my two favorites, but (sic) Prince Wanogho might be good too. 

Niang is a stud. Jackson is going top 20 if he declares