The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

WindyCity

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think Hiestand and helfrich get chopped. 

Bill Callahan is awesome, been on a roll since there Smog days. Not sure how he helps here though

Callahan is supposed to be a pretty sold OL coach if I'm not mistaken, I'd pencil him in taking Hiestand's job if he's fired.

As for Helfrich... I just don't know WTF he offers here. Supposed to be an RPO stud but that has been crap for our offense this season.

39 minutes ago, G08 said:

Callahan is supposed to be a pretty sold OL coach if I'm not mistaken, I'd pencil him in taking Hiestand's job if he's fired.

As for Helfrich... I just don't know WTF he offers here. Supposed to be an RPO stud but that has been crap for our offense this season.

Music jokeThe other Bill Callahan

I think the indictment on Hiestand is that he's gotten lower quality performance than his line has shown in the past. Plus the penalties. Plus the weirdly bad technique  

I know what he's supposed to be, I just don't see it. 

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think the indictment on Hiestand is that he's gotten lower quality performance than his line has shown in the past. Plus the penalties. Plus the weirdly bad technique  

I know what he's supposed to be, I just don't see it. 

Honestly?

I know I've harped on it before, well...a LOT, really. But it's attitude. It's work ethic. It's how your team handles success. And that's way above Hiestand's pay grade. Now, for sure the Leno regression is baffling, but by and large you can trace it all back to the top.

It's on Nagy. 

And that goes for any number of team elements outside of the O-Line. Truthfully? I don't think anyone from the staff gets fired, whether I think they should be, or not. I'd imagine they roll into next year with the same group--unless Pagano gets nabbed for a HC gig somewhere. 

More than firing someone (which from the outside I could justify) I think they need to make some sort of philosophical change that can break Nagy's stubborn feedback loop.  Get someone in to emphasize rushing and run blocking in practice, but also to be a voice in Nagy's ear to both focus on the run and acknowledge when something has to change in playcalling.  I still really like Nagy but if he wants to succeed he need to be honest about when something he desperately wants to work isn't happening. 

The one kinda strange factor working against Heistand being canned (despite deserving it more than any other coach on the team this year imo).... is look at our offensive line...

Whitehair is solid

Leno, Massie, Coward all SUCK

Daniels is reminding me way to much of Grasu and simply can't handle the jump to NFL level talent...

The only guy on our depth chart even showing promise was Bars.... who is literally ONLY ON THIS TEAM because Heistand was his coach at ND (The Pats tried to snag him last year)

Now we assuredly aren't going to keep a bad position coach around for one player (who basically medically redshirted this year anyhow), but we do kind of NEED bars next season, and I don't see him wanting to stick around of Heistand is given the boot.

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

The one kinda strange factor working against Heistand being canned (despite deserving it more than any other coach on the team this year imo).... is look at our offensive line...

Whitehair is solid

Leno, Massie, Coward all SUCK

Daniels is reminding me way to much of Grasu and simply can't handle the jump to NFL level talent...

The only guy on our depth chart even showing promise was Bars.... who is literally ONLY ON THIS TEAM because Heistand was his coach at ND (The Pats tried to snag him last year)

Now we assuredly aren't going to keep a bad position coach around for one player (who basically medically redshirted this year anyhow), but we do kind of NEED bars next season, and I don't see him wanting to stick around of Heistand is given the boot.

What exactly has Bars done to say he has shown so much promise?  He's an undrafted free agent and hasn't played a single snap of meaningful football for this team.

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

What exactly has Bars done to say he has shown so much promise?  He's an undrafted free agent and hasn't played a single snap of meaningful football for this team.

Another UDFA who everyone thinks will be great. Small and/or counted out players are Chicago's favorite. Never forget David Fales, Freddy Barnes, Mike Hass and Dane Sanzenbacher 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If Austin Jackson keeps playing like this, he may fall to the Bears 2nd rounders, and at this rate I wouldn't take him. AJ Epenesa is abusing him. 

I'm a biased Iowa Hawkeyes alum but I wouldn't mind Stanley in round 2...