What players do we keep

quiller

13 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Ok, but why put an anchor around their neck rather than enable them?

Right Now, Tyron is the 9th highest paid LT and Frederick is the 10th paid C. The salary cap goes up every year and contracts get bigger. I just don't see an argument where getting rid of star players on team-friendly deals makes any sense. 

9th-best LT and 10th-best C is probably about where they are as players right now. And that’s fine. But that could go down rather than up in another year. One good game doesn’t disprove that this OL is well past its peak.

It’s probably more likely that we use our available assets to reshape the defense, but should we choose to ante up for Byron, Quinn, Maliek etc. in addition to Dak and Amari, then there simply isn’t going to be room for four 8-figure OLs in a couple years. A contingency might be nice, although our team rarely carries out the “better a year too early than a year too late” axiom.

14 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

9th-best LT and 10th-best C is probably about where they are as players right now. And that’s fine. But that could go down rather than up in another year. One good game doesn’t disprove that this OL is well past its peak.

It’s probably more likely that we use our available assets to reshape the defense, but should we choose to ante up for Byron, Quinn, Maliek etc. in addition to Dak and Amari, then there simply isn’t going to be room for four 8-figure OLs in a couple years. A contingency might be nice, although our team rarely carries out the “better a year too early than a year too late” axiom.

I don't buy the idea that we "simply can't" afford *anything* in a league where the salary cap has increased about $70M since we even signed Tyron Smith in the first place.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

To young to be past their peak, imo. But they have regressed. 

That said, I dont think we have a competent OL coach - and havent in a few years.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Caps about to skyrocket in a couple years. So I disagree that we cant afford them. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Have they officially announced the number? The last report I saw said there was a range, with $8M being the low end, possibly increasing by up to $13M

Yes you are correct, Not official but the projection the league officials provided to the owners.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086709/article/salary-cap-expected-to-increase-at-least-8m-in-2020

"NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported the league informed clubs Tuesday it is projecting the 2020 salary cap to again increase, this time into the range of $196.8 million to $201.2 million. The increase would be more than $8 million from the current cap of $188.2 million.

Quarterback remains the highest-paid position in the league, with Russell Wilson earning an average annual salary of $35 million, per Over The Cap. The increase in cap will set the stage for an offseason that should welcome at least one new massive contract for a quarterback: Dallas' Dak Prescott."

Edited by DaBoys

Just now, DaBoys said:

Not official but the projection the league officials provided to the owners.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086709/article/salary-cap-expected-to-increase-at-least-8m-in-2020

"NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported the league informed clubs Tuesday it is projecting the 2020 salary cap to again increase, this time into the range of $196.8 million to $201.2 million. The increase would be more than $8 million from the current cap of $188.2 million.

Quarterback remains the highest-paid position in the league, with Russell Wilson earning an average annual salary of $35 million, per Over The Cap. The increase in cap will set the stage for an offseason that should welcome at least one new massive contract for a quarterback: Dallas' Dak Prescott."

Ok, so exactly what I said. $196.8-$201.2M. Increase will be somewhere between $8.6M and $13M.

1 hour ago, cowboyfanin2890 said:

3rd and 22nd and 23rd overall. 

Ehhh it's kinda tempting but wouldnt be enough for Dak IMO. He has hit a slump for sure but that's because has nearly quit. 

With how easy it seems to get productive QBs now days I would be more inclined if that 22 was a 12 or close to the 10 range. 

Three 1sts for Dak? Yeah I'd take that. He's balling but with the $ savings plus having 4 first rounders this year.... I'm taking it.

We can roll with a free agent like Tannehill or Winston for 1/4 of the cost, draft a QBotf and still have three firsts and loads of cap space.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Three 1sts for Dak? Yeah I'd take that. He's balling but with the $ savings plus having 4 first rounders this year.... I'm taking it.

We can roll with a free agent like Tannehill or Winston for 1/4 of the cost, draft a QBotf and still have three firsts and loads of cap space.

I would take three 1sts for just about any qb who isnt Brady, Brees, or Rodgers in their prime.  Heck, I would take 4, 22 and a 2021 1st from Miami.