Week 2 GDT - In the land of Crab Cakes

brooks1957

Already played 2nd QB

Had terrible ending to an otherwise hard fought 1st half

Didn't score inside the 5 yard line

Supposed Franchise QB turned the ball over 4 times.

Multiple key injuries only 2 weeks in

Disorganization and undisciplined type penalties littered every offense possession.

Same song and dance every single year.

They have 3 weeks to show something. If we come out of the next 3 weeks sitting at 0-5 I don't care what anyone has to say about patience Hue Jackson should be fired and we can turn things over to Greg Williams.

12 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Already played 2nd QB

Had terrible ending to an otherwise hard fought 1st half

Didn't score inside the 5 yard line

Supposed Franchise QB turned the ball over 4 times.

Multiple key injuries only 2 weeks in

Disorganization and undisciplined type penalties littered every offense possession.

Same song and dance every single year.

They have 3 weeks to show something. If we come out of the next 3 weeks sitting at 0-5 I don't care what anyone has to say about patience Hue Jackson should be fired and we can turn things over to Greg Williams.

Fire the HC 21 weeks into a total tear down and rebuild?

giphy.gif

Watch out now folks, these are some hot takes here!

If you lose to the Luckless Colts, the complete tear down themselves Jets and Josh McCown and the cluster F that is the Bengals in consecutive weeks, are starring 1-20 in the face and you still haven't remotely solved you so called specially at QB, and your joke of an offense continues to have simple procedure penalties and delay of games then, yes, Fire the man.

27 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

If you lose to the Luckless Colts, the complete tear down themselves Jets and Josh McCown and the cluster F that is the Bengals in consecutive weeks, are starring 1-20 in the face and you still haven't remotely solved you so called specially at QB, and your joke of an offense continues to have simple procedure penalties and delay of games then, yes, Fire the man.

That's always worked in the past, amiright?

We can move the ball and play defense well enough that without these stupid mistakes we'd be in great position have a win or two despite our youth. It's hard to watch because we've seen so much of it but the facts are that our QB's are very inexperienced as well as the team as a whole. As improved as the defense is this is Greg's first season. The Ravens took took advantage of our aggressiveness and youth and attacked our edges which without Myles are inconsistent. This led to wide open play action and big runs. 

We just got to hold on until Myles gets back. By the time he does Kizer should have his feet under him and the schedule is more favorable. A perfect example is the Raiders. Without Khalil they wouldn't have won a lot of those games last year. Same thing here without Myles. It's unfortunate because we could be winning, but I'm just glad this team is competitive and has hope for both the immediate and long term future.

I myself have a bit of a different offensive philosophy than Hue, I love offenses like Raven's that's just trust the D and player power O and take what's given in the pass game, but at the same time if Kizer can keep the negative plays to a minimum this will be an explosive offense. Hue could have played it safe these first two games but hasn't held the QBs back at all and that may pay dividends later on in the season. 

We had so many 2nd and long, 3rd and long plays that it was hard to try and fit running the football into our gameplan. I will say I am confused at some of Hue's playcalling these first two weeks. When we saw Kizer thrive in the preseason, it was on his vertical passing ability AND quick release pass plays. How many 8, 9, 10 + gains were we seeing, 3rd and long conversions with him getting the ball out super quick, before the defender could make a play on the ball? Where have those calls been? Today was the product of a rookie QB that made some bad decisions. Protect the football and get rid of it and the fumble doesn't happen. Put a little touch on the short pass to Duke and it doesn't get picked off by Weddle. Throw the ball in front of Higgins and not behind him and we have a touchdown and not an interception. Hue also had some mistakes. Playcalling at times. Why not call the timeout with 40+ seconds left to let your backup QB run a designed play? We end up getting a false start with 29 seconds left, then had to burn a timeout to prevent a 10 second runoff, then turn the ball over the next play. Not challenging the Duke Johnson run when he appeared to stay in bounds at least to the 1 yard line was a mistake. 

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why play him at all then?

If they treated his migraine and he's your best qb who's been prepared as the starter all week, why wouldn't he play?

Are we going to yank Kizer every time he's off then?  You know, so he doesn't "wilt under fire"? 

lol   Kid's got something going on with him during the game, pulled for half of it and clearly is struggling in ways he didn't the week before.  But yes, leave him in there regardless,  nothing bad ever comes from letting a rookie QB take his lumps.  You're right.  You're always right.

4 hours ago, DawgX said:

Their defense is good, but I wanna see how they fare against a team with an actually good offense. Cincinnati has an abhorrent offensive line and Andy Dalton. Cleveland has a rookie QB and a bunch of scrubs at WR.

You can only play who is on your schedule and they beat 2 division opponents with one being on the road.. All the while giving up only 10 points and forcing 10 turnovers... I'll sleep ok tonight.

For me the single biggest disappointment among many so far is the running game/OL.  Saw it the the preseason and wondered what everyone was talking about with this "career year for Crow" stuff.  We throw major cash as it and, from a rushing perspective, is worse than last year.  I'm hoping they just need time to gel as a unit but even with that, Crow looks ....not good.  Without a running game, any QB is stressed, let alone a 21 year old rookie.  And add to that a forgettable WR core and it's not surprising we're seeing what we're seeing.  IF Coleman loses a lot of time with yet another broken hand, it only makes a bad situation worse.  Britt is a disaster, pure and simple.  

Defensively, the unit is better but Garrett's potential is clearly needed.  And where's Ogbah been?  Someone in here talked about letting Nassib start over him when Garret comes back, might not be a terrible idea at least on pure pass rushing downs.  Kinda disappointed with the overall lack of push.  And, depth at the position is paper thin.  CB is another upgrade waiting to happen.

I know they're a young team, they've got to learn to play together and so I expect to see growing pains.  The talent add is far from complete, especially at a few skill positions. But this game, unlike last weeks, was just painful to watch.  We didn't look like an up & coming team ....we just looked like the Browns.  

1 hour ago, StewieRules said:

For me the single biggest disappointment among many so far is the running game/OL.  Saw it the the preseason and wondered what everyone was talking about with this "career year for Crow" stuff.  We throw major cash as it and, from a rushing perspective, is worse than last year.  I'm hoping they just need time to gel as a unit but even with that, Crow looks ....not good.  Without a running game, any QB is stressed, let alone a 21 year old rookie.  And add to that a forgettable WR core and it's not surprising we're seeing what we're seeing.  IF Coleman loses a lot of time with yet another broken hand, it only makes a bad situation worse.  Britt is a disaster, pure and simple.  

Crow had 10 carries.  Duke had 4.  Therein lies your problem.

3.4 ypc today for the backs, and only 14 carries.

Here's your play calls for the snaps your backup QB is in the game:

• pass
  • pass
  • run 
  • run
  • pass
  • pass
  • pass
  • pass
  • pass
  • pass
  • pass
  • run
  • run
  • pass

4 runs, and one of them was a designed QB run for the love of god.

Archived