Week 2 GDT - In the land of Crab Cakes

brooks1957

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

Man...so many smart dudes on this site.  It makes me proud to be a Browns fan sometimes.

Yes...where is Ogbah?  Buno...I hope you are right, but sadly, I don't believe the return of Myles will help him be much better.

Peppers 30 yards off the ball, when his strength is playing close to the LOS is baffling.

We should be running the EXACT same offense that the Ravens are using.  Short, quick, play action passes, and they should not abandon the run.

Deshone had some very pretty passes, but there were way too many off the mark.  Hopefully the consistency will come.

3 of which were ints and a fumble. 

Help us to understand this Obrownieman, you are our last hope!

12 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

*dabs for seeing this one coming

From Jordan Leslie's snapchat.

ed2jtxuvppmz.png

Don't care if it's Sammie or Kenny that's cut.  I'd prefer Kenny to get the axe, because at least Sammie is a one trick pony.  Kenny is just a trick.

Neither Coleman is on the IR so a roster spot is open

12 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Man...so many smart dudes on this site.  It makes me proud to be a Browns fan sometimes.

Yes...where is Ogbah?  Buno...I hope you are right, but sadly, I don't believe the return of Myles will help him be much better.

Peppers 30 yards off the ball, when his strength is playing close to the LOS is baffling.

We should be running the EXACT same offense that the Ravens are using.  Short, quick, play action passes, and they should not abandon the run.

Deshone had some very pretty passes, but there were way too many off the mark.  Hopefully the consistency will come.

With Ogbah, it's the only reason I want to trust because if it's not that, than it means he just sucks and I don't want to label him that just yet cause 

21 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Peppers is playing probably the most important role on this defense. With 2 subpar CB he's our safety valve. He's probably one of our most athletic and sound tacklers on this team. Idk what you guys expected with him playing FS. He's not our hybrid LB because no one else is athletic enough to take his spot. We are still devoid of playmakers and Williams is just using Peppers the smartest way you can and that's by having him nullify big plays. Maybe nacua shows up or somebody else steps up so they can move Peppers but I don't see it happening. 

I understand where your coming from but where was this bases during the preseason? Peppers looked great and was flying around the field. 

But you look at this role Peppers is currently playing, it doesn't take much to be purely a center fielder. They are kinda wasting Peppers athletic ability. Browns have been getting destroyed over the Middle and maybe that correlates to him being so far over the top but I think another DB could do the same thing as Peppers. He isn't doing anything special. With how far he is off the ball it's not like we need some uber athletic defender back there either. 

If it's used this week, I'll question it because the colts don't have the deep ability like Pitt or Balt

43 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I understand where your coming from but where was this bases during the preseason? Peppers looked great and was flying around the field. 

But you look at this role Peppers is currently playing, it doesn't take much to be purely a center fielder. They are kinda wasting Peppers athletic ability. Browns have been getting destroyed over the Middle and maybe that correlates to him being so far over the top but I think another DB could do the same thing as Peppers. He isn't doing anything special. With how far he is off the ball it's not like we need some uber athletic defender back there either. 

If it's used this week, I'll question it because the colts don't have the deep ability like Pitt or Balt

Gregg Williams said when he was hired that they wouldn't be letting the ball be thrown behind them, and he's made good on that.

I think Peppers has been used just fine, our defense has been just fine.

Any issue with where Peppers lines up is picking nits IMO. Williams has simplified things for a player who's never really learned to play one position and is also our primary returner, I'm sure as Peppers learns and develops he'll mix in more wrinkles for him.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Gregg Williams said when he was hired that they wouldn't be letting the ball be thrown behind them, and he's made good on that.

I think Peppers has been used just fine, our defense has been just fine.

Any issue with where Peppers lines up is picking nits IMO. Williams has simplified things for a player who's never really learned to play one position and is also our primary returner, I'm sure as Peppers learns and develops he'll mix in more wrinkles for him.

I have no problem with the scheme I have a problem with the way the players are being used. I think they could put another player back there instead of Peppers. Bring Peppers up and have him playing in the box defending TEs or Slots. 

I understand that they might want to slowly bring him a long but Michigan threw a lot at him for a bunch of differen positions. Can they just stick him at one position and let him just learn all those details.

the way they used Peppers in Preseason to now is very strange

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

I have no problem with the scheme I have a problem with the way the players are being used. I think they could put another player back there instead of Peppers.

Who exactly would you put back there? Certainly not Kindred.

Bring Peppers up and have him playing in the box defending TEs or Slots. 

Again, Peppers may be best suited for this, but no one else can do what he's doing back deep. I trust William's scheme. The only way this team is going to be giving up lots of points on a consistent basis is either off of turnovers (like this past week although surprisingly we didn't give up even more points) or big plays. 

I understand that they might want to slowly bring him a long but Michigan threw a lot at him for a bunch of differen positions. Can they just stick him at one position and let him just learn all those details.

That's basically what they're doing with him now. Right now he's a pretty deep safety that once in a while will come up into the box. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Who exactly would you put back there? Certainly not Kindred.

Again, Peppers may be best suited for this, but no one else can do what he's doing back deep. I trust William's scheme. The only way this team is going to be giving up lots of points on a consistent basis is either off of turnovers (like this past week although surprisingly we didn't give up even more points) or big plays. 

That's basically what they're doing with him now. Right now he's a pretty deep safety that once in a while will come up into the box. 

Nacua.

And Peppers doesn't even have to come up into the box...he just needs to be in the same zip code as the guys who are killing us with catches underneath and gashing us with runs into the second level.

16 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Maybe we can trade Crow to the Colts for a 1st.

6 false steps behind the line here

https://mobile.twitter.com/clevezirm/status/910266976978817025

This is one of the things, that I thought about.....

I was REALLY expecting Crow to take it to a different level this year......I watched that Baltimore game, start to finish.....when it came to his running style...he left a LOT of meat on that bone....

Just hit it man bounce outside. 

Common sense stuff that this definitely isn't all on the players. The corner routes and higgins were open all day. Coach tell Deshone that obviously our outside receivers can't get open look for Higgins, Njoku, and Devalve. We seemed to be shotgun all game, but that may be because Kizer is not comfortable under center. Then the blocking. Crow twice passed up help blocks. One allowed a free mosely on a max protect, and the other he stepped right in front of the DT and then juked out of his way. If only he'd juke like that on his runs... Another time NT lines up directly over tretter but he helps Bitonio to the left even though he didn't need it. End result is Zeitler has no chance to block the guy that tretter should be blocking. 

Defensively the big plays we've given up are all on scheme. The AB 50 yard YAC, Allen's big run, the wide open TE's in mid field all could be avoided if you just schemed the game normal and had Peppers where he should be. Not to mention we could interchange the safties, create more confusion, or have Peppers on the TE. Could blitz peppers, give him a chance to actually make some plays instead of putting him in impossible tackling situations. Maybe some balls go over our heads, but maybe Peppers is fast enough to make some plays on them. Regardless, we are already giving up 50 yard plays because of the current scheme. 

We're basically playing 10 against clear running situations so not only do big plays happen but also all the 5-10yd gains could be avoided. We get caught out of alignment on the DL or LB because Greg wants to blitz for a pass even though its 1st and 10. Then you add in that our LBs just looked lost a lot of the time and weren't within 10 yards of covering someone. Or late in the game we're in quarters easily giving up a 7 yd first to Watson despite our need to get the ball back. 

All exacerbated by the Ravens being excellently coached. Their OL is crap but they help each other out with blocks. Mosely turns and runs downfield to cover deep crossers. Then simplest of all they take advantage of matchups and our stupidity. Easy audibles to unbalanced sides. Kept running outside because we were giving up edge contain before the snap. Attacking the slow LBs.

We're going to continue to lose until the coaches truly put the players in position to win. Don't make it easy for other teams. Line up and play instead of all this experimental junk. You've got the players to play 1 on 1 and you need to have confidence in them. Otherwise they are going to lose confidence and you. So bring Peppers up, keep the DE's outside the tackles, stay in the I-form or 2 TE sets. Zeitler, Shon and Crow are best suited for that. Kizer needs it. Peppers needs to be put in position to make plays. These are your most talented players. Maybe you should play to their strengths. 

EARTH TO HUE!!!! 

Archived