Week 2 GDT - In the land of Crab Cakes

brooks1957

34 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Maybe I'm just frustrated, but I just look at other teams and their personnel and they run the ball super easy with UDFAs and low level draft picks. We have damn near a Pro Bowl caliber line and have to run draws to get any type of significant yards. I do know for a fact that Tretter has been atrocious, speaking of disappointments, Ogbah has been terrible

With ogbah teams know they only have to wear about him. Garrett will help him a lot when teams can't just key on him. 

Still scrarching my head on the use of peppers. He was suppose to be this crazy nickel corner linebacker hybrid I kept hearing everyone talking about with Greg Williams and all he has been doing the past two games is play as a deep deep FS

Seems like a lot of agreement in here, which means the organization probably will see the same way we do.

Two options:

A. Run the ball more and use everyone except for Britt/Coates. Scramble instead of taking sacks/throwing int's. Basically try to play it safe and lean on the defense. On D bring Peppers closer.

B. Stick with what your doing and trust the players to improve and find a way to motivate Britt/Coates with Coleman injured. Trust that Peppers won't be missing tackles anymore. Trust the LB's to be more disciplined. Hope that Crow starts bouncing things outside and the OL gets more push. Let Kizer keep taking his lumps until he settles in. All while fixing these things the unheralded youth are continuing to improve.

I'd like to mention Coley because it seems he's right there, but he can't let guys hold him. Gotta get off those blocks right away. 

While I'd like to believe option A would've been the way to go from the start, running for 2 yards a pop and not having chunk plays would make it even harder for us to score points. The TE's are weak blockers, Coleman and Zeitler are the only real muscle. Pass blocking definitely looks like the strength. Crow isn't showing up and Duke comes out after every touch and ball security issues. Scrambling more would be risky injury wise. The defense is in their 1st year as well. Then you add in the dumb penalties and the results would be the same but the team would be a lot less exciting and not necessarily playing the way Hue envisions for the future. 

So play true, play fast, and make the mistakes we've been seeing. I can live with that because as long as you learn from the mistakes it will pay dividends in getting everyone where they need to be.

If we played super safe on offense the scores going into the 4th would have been closer but we'd still have to learn how to win close games in the 4th quarter. We can't close out the 1st half offensively or defensively let alone the 2nd. Furthermore, when the time comes where we needs to be able to score fast or points in bunches we wouldn't have the experience we do now. Or if we hope to be a high scoring offense every week it's going to be at least a 30-20 pass to run ratio. 

Thankfully the guys at least showed something these first two games. Now they need to go out and win against competition that have struggles of their own. 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

With ogbah teams know they only have to wear about him. Garrett will help him a lot when teams can't just key on him. 

Still scrarching my head on the use of peppers. He was suppose to be this crazy nickel corner linebacker hybrid I kept hearing everyone talking about with Greg Williams and all he has been doing the past two games is play as a deep deep FS

Yeah, I just expected Ogbah to be a least an 8 sack guy in year 2 who could get pressure on his own. I don't think its a good thing if he has to have Garrett in order for him to get pressure though. As far as Peppers, his usage has been oxymoronic, no offense but we could have pretty much anyone play deep as he is. I will say though, Kindred has been playing really well so far along with Taylor and McCourty

Peppers is playing probably the most important role on this defense. With 2 subpar CB he's our safety valve. He's probably one of our most athletic and sound tacklers on this team. Idk what you guys expected with him playing FS. He's not our hybrid LB because no one else is athletic enough to take his spot. We are still devoid of playmakers and Williams is just using Peppers the smartest way you can and that's by having him nullify big plays. Maybe nacua shows up or somebody else steps up so they can move Peppers but I don't see it happening. 

UGH! Where to start?!?!?

1 - Rookie QB on the road against a team that is better than us with a headache. I'll give the little guy a pass here. Just don't repeat vs a significantly worse team next week. 

2 - Britt shouldn't have been invited on the plane ride home. I am officially done with him. He'll need 3 big games to get back in my graces. 

3 - Would it kill Hue to give Kizer a dump off TE or RB? He is holding onto the ball too long and is paying for it. We have two TEs capable of block and releasing for an easy completion. 

4 - Why are we not running Crow? 1 and goal with three yards to go, we pass?!?!? Run the damn ball off LG. Done. 

5 - Those turnovers were at the worst possible times. It could have been 14-10... Poor play calling? 

6 - First person who calls for Hogan to start should be banned. 

7 - Cheer up we got the colts in 6. They look bad. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I cannot think of any ways in which we showed improvement over week 1, except for the play of Higgins, DeValve and Njoku.

The play-calling on both sides of the ball was befuddling. Our "thank you sir may I have another" failure to cover the Ravens underneath passing were among the lowlights of the game.

I feel like Charlie Brown. Once more we were lead to expect a solid O-line and a decent run game, Lucy has pulled the ball again and we haven't gotten either.

Average QB play probably would have won this game for us or at least made it closer but instead we got a Weedenesque rookie QB performance.

The int near the end of the first half and resulting D collapse were especially disheartening.

Move along, folks, nothing (good) to see here.

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yea...I dont get that. I know what they are doing with putting him deep so guys like Brown, Wallace and Bryant cant smoke our young DBs on go-routes---but cmon. Your essentially taking out 1 of your 3 playmakers on defense to have him pick his nose in deep center field. Its preventing the big play deep, but its allowing TEs and RBs to carve you up.

The idea is that your front 7 can handle business up front and dominate and it makes for long drawn out drives so teams cant curb stomp us early with big plays, but when our front 7 gets eaten alive in the run game and the offense keeps turning the ball over it is literally useless and needs to be removed when we are down by 3 possessions.

The Ravens and Steelers both tried deep 1 time. Brown caught a ball over 3 guys and McCourty got a INT in the Ravens game--so it works, it just makes us get shredded over the middle with TEs and dump offs to RBs since you dont have a Safety to make a play. Your LBs need to play lights out with this formula and they didnt. I kinda expect better from Collins and Kirksey

My 20 YOA snowflake daughter just asked me if it was true that the Browns QB left the game yesterday complaining of a migraine headache. After I replied "Yes", she responded: "We are talking about an NFL QB. Why didn't he just say, hey guys, I am getting my *** kicked. Can I have a timeout?"

17 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Jordan Leslie, I hope you haven't changed your number because you are getting an important phone call in the morning.

*dabs for seeing this one coming

From Jordan Leslie's snapchat.

ed2jtxuvppmz.png

Don't care if it's Sammie or Kenny that's cut.  I'd prefer Kenny to get the axe, because at least Sammie is a one trick pony.  Kenny is just a trick.

Man...so many smart dudes on this site.  It makes me proud to be a Browns fan sometimes.

Yes...where is Ogbah?  Buno...I hope you are right, but sadly, I don't believe the return of Myles will help him be much better.

Peppers 30 yards off the ball, when his strength is playing close to the LOS is baffling.

We should be running the EXACT same offense that the Ravens are using.  Short, quick, play action passes, and they should not abandon the run.

Deshone had some very pretty passes, but there were way too many off the mark.  Hopefully the consistency will come.

Archived