Xbox Series X

showtime

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

I just bought one.

Did zero research whatsoever.

I just want to play Starfield.

What should I know about this thing?

It has a disc drive, it can play certain xbox 360 and original xbox games if you care or if you have the discs.

Starfield has a DLC coming out probably by I'd imagine no later than september? You can pre-order it wait for marketing at the very least.

Enjoy starfield, enjoy the eventual mod support.

• Like 1

Just now, Xmad said:

It has a disc drive, it can play certain xbox 360 and original xbox games if you care or if you have the discs.

Starfield has a DLC coming out probably by I'd imagine no later than september? You can pre-order it wait for marketing at the very least.

Enjoy starfield, enjoy the eventual mod support.

Todd did say news was going soon, but yeah could see it launching September with a big patch. Hoping June or July though 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Todd did say news was going soon, but yeah could see it launching September with a big patch. Hoping June or July though 

Never trust todd howard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Looks like buying all those studios and relying heavily on GamePass is shockingly a bad move. 

Thing that gets me is they pushed back the real attempt at making it work to this year. And just as it could maybe produce they chicken out and throw the whole division into a giant question mark.

Hellblade 2, Avowed, Indiana Jones, Fable and more all launching in a calendar year, now with the new CoD official in house to bolster the thing.

Gamepass works when you have concurrent users all staying subscribed. The more ambitious the output the more numbers needed to feed it. The finally were going to have the content to match and they continue to fumble the bag. Talk now CoD might not be on it, which a lot of people are holding out for.

Now as per the studios they closed, it’s not like they took away any major ones. Tango was the biggest, produced Evil Within and Hi-fi which both didn’t sell all that well (later has GP to blame but also probably doesn’t exist without gamepass). Once the head of the studio left I thought there was a chance they closed. Being the only foot in the door in Japan was a good and bad thing for them..seems like the latter won out.
  Arkane Austin was doomed to fail long ago when Redfall was setup to make pre-Xbox Bethesda money. It shoulda been scrapped or overhauled when they sold to Microsoft. I think it’s a good example of Xbox’s soft touch constantly hurting them. It’s ok to be a bit of a bad guy when something isn’t working. Just do it up front and not let it wither on the vine like they did.

They really need better strategy and management throughout the massive amounts of studios they own. Seems like the way they are going is to just open things up like Sega did but still straddle the console space in their own way. Rumors are a souped-up next gen console ans the new X and the new S equivalent seems like it’s going to be handheld like the Steam Deck…which makes sense.

If they don’t have a good 2024 starting with Hellblade this month til 2027ish when the new consoles and Elder Scrolls 6 is supposed to drop, can see Microsoft sell off a lot of it or spin it off. Already rumors of them looking at streaming services as a revenue stream, wouldn’t surprise me to see them buy WBDiscovery (Max) or Paramount, then just merging it all into a creative division in a handful of years.

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Hellblade 2, Avowed, Indiana Jones, Fable and more all launching in a calendar year, now with the new CoD official in house to bolster the thing.

I predict Fable is a disaster and Hellblade 2 is underwhelming and buggy. Xbox never fails to disappoint me anymore. I should've gone with the PS5.

As for the closures, the only loss of significance there IMO was Tango.

IMO Matt Booty's head needs to roll. This dude's been at the helm of XB Games Studios for way too long and under his leadership the games that have been coming out have been a complete and utter failure and disgrace. 

4 hours ago, Danger said:

I predict Fable is a disaster and Hellblade 2 is underwhelming and buggy. Xbox never fails to disappoint me anymore. I should've gone with the PS5.

As for the closures, the only loss of significance there IMO was Tango.

IMO Matt Booty's head needs to roll. This dude's been at the helm of XB Games Studios for way too long and under his leadership the games that have been coming out have been a complete and utter failure and disgrace. 

Yeah I’m very wary of Fable, studio has a great track record but it’s such a different sort of game from the Forza Horizon series.

I think Hellblade will be good, but too weird and short for it to get lauded by the general fanbase.

I have both and it hasn’t been miles better on PS. Yeah got Ragnarok but it was also was on PS4. Overall this gen has been cratered by COVID and greed.

Yeah, Booty needs to have been axed years ago. I think Sarah Bond has a good outlook on things generally, but beyond her not much faith in the higher ups at all.

I actually think Hell Blade 2 is going to be critically acclaimed. The first one was great, and it seems they've really taken their time with it. Plus, I've heard it's pretty short- so I think they're really focused on just pure quality.

I also think Fable will be pretty good. They've got the right humor/attitude, although we haven't seen any game-play, I've got some confidence that their direction is good.

The new Indiana Jones game looks really underwhelming to me, though. Can't imagine it'll be very good. Maybe a solid 7/10.

1 hour ago, elevators_rule said:

I actually think Hell Blade 2 is going to be critically acclaimed. The first one was great, and it seems they've really taken their time with it. Plus, I've heard it's pretty short- so I think they're really focused on just pure quality.

I also think Fable will be pretty good. They've got the right humor/attitude, although we haven't seen any game-play, I've got some confidence that their direction is good.

The new Indiana Jones game looks really underwhelming to me, though. Can't imagine it'll be very good. Maybe a solid 7/10.

Of the 3 studios I do trust Machinegames most though to make a fun game. The Wolfenstein reboot games were so much fun.

Closing Tango as your only japanese studio which has never made a bad game is just ****ing dumb.

This screams microsoft reaching over and closing underperforming studios/smaller studios to make the losses on the xbox side look better for financial reports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xmad said:

Closing Tango as your only japanese studio which has never made a bad game is just ****ing dumb.

This screams microsoft reaching over and closing underperforming studios/smaller studios to make the losses on the xbox side look better for financial reports.

I think this is exactly what it is. Very short-term, quarterly thinking. The executives at Microsoft are just looking at pure numbers and cutting costs without knowing the field. Really disappointing to see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

I think this is exactly what it is. Very short-term, quarterly thinking. The executives at Microsoft are just looking at pure numbers and cutting costs without knowing the field. Really disappointing to see.

Wish they’d just shutter 343 or make them a support studio, if anyone deserved to get closed it’s them for how fall they’ve helped halo fall.

Not saying no more Halo games, but you have some of the best dev teams in the shooter space. Had it to iD, MachineGames, one of the 15 teams working on CoD like Raven, or hell even The Coalition since they are wrapping up Gears soon.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Wish they’d just shutter 343 or make them a support studio, if anyone deserved to get closed it’s them for how fall they’ve helped halo fall.

Not saying no more Halo games, but you have some of the best dev teams in the shooter space. Had it to iD, MachineGames, one of the 15 teams working on CoD like Raven, or hell even The Coalition since they are wrapping up Gears soon.

343 has the backing of someone in microsoft to literally give that studio a year delay of their flagship product and not have a launch title for the Xbox series X. Like seriously how the **** are they still around. Halo 4,5, infinite have had so many issues. I think Infinite actually came around and became a solid game but the fact they had to delay the game a year and still not launch with forge and a good multiplayer game.....whoever runs the studio should be taken out behind the microsoft windows updater and rolled back.

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

343 has the backing of someone in microsoft to literally give that studio a year delay of their flagship product and not have a launch title for the Xbox series X. Like seriously how the **** are they still around. Halo 4,5, infinite have had so many issues. I think Infinite actually came around and became a solid game but the fact they had to delay the game a year and still not launch with forge and a good multiplayer game.....whoever runs the studio should be taken out behind the microsoft windows updater and rolled back.

Lots of them did get taken out ha

Yeah it’s crazy how mediocre they’ve been. I agree Infinite landed on solid footing eventually though.