Week 16: Packers (11-3) at VIKINGS (10-4)

swede700

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

That is just the start.  The new GM should have the freedom to pick his coach and the together they should have the freedom to pick their QB.

Ageeed. Zimmer and Spielman need to be viewed as a packaged deal at this point. Zimmer has had 6 years and Spielman almost a decade.

35 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

That is just the start.  The new GM should have the freedom to pick his coach and they together they should have the freedom to pick their QB.

I mean, let's assume for a second the Vikings were to clean house (GM, HC, and QB), how do you go about improving the Vikings' situation?  As much as it's easy to blast Kirk Cousins, it's going to be hard to do better then him.  Right now, the Vikings are slotted to pick 24th which is definitely too low to select Joe Burrow, and assuming there isn't a huge fall because of medical concerns Tua as well.  Do the Vikings continue to develop the pieces around the QB (i.e. OL) or do they take a talented, but flawed QB (like Jalen Hurts or Jordan Love)?  Looking at the Vikings' current core, I think they're forced to stick with Kirk Cousins for the next 2-3 years before there is a hard rebuild coming.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, let's assume for a second the Vikings were to clean house (GM, HC, and QB), how do you go about improving the Vikings' situation?  As much as it's easy to blast Kirk Cousins, it's going to be hard to do better then him.  Right now, the Vikings are slotted to pick 24th which is definitely too low to select Joe Burrow, and assuming there isn't a huge fall because of medical concerns Tua as well.  Do the Vikings continue to develop the pieces around the QB (i.e. OL) or do they take a talented, but flawed QB (like Jalen Hurts or Jordan Love)?  Looking at the Vikings' current core, I think they're forced to stick with Kirk Cousins for the next 2-3 years before there is a hard rebuild coming.

Step 1 is finding anyone that knows about the OL, scouting and coaching........

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Whoever takes the jobs basically needs to consider a rebuild. Roll with Cousins for another year, get younger on defense, and hope you luck into a franchise QB in the draft. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This goes into a topic that I'll be reprimanded for if I discuss here.  But, those are great questions and I do have an opinion.

This game highlighted concerns that I have had for some time.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

The Vikings are in football purgatory.  They're not good enough to be in football heaven, and not bad enough to burn in football hell.  For the last 40 + years it's been a player or two needed...or, a new coach to get them over the hump into the promised land.  It's a terrible position to be in.  Too good to get a great first round pick, and to bad at finding those diamonds in the rough in the lower drafting positions.

Last night, the better team won.  The Vikings were not and are not good enough to beat the Packers this season. I am not going to blame the absence of Cook, or how horrible the OL is.  The Packer defense, especially the front 7 are superior to the Vikings OL...and a lot of other teams OL's.  Rodgers is a better big game QB.  Jones runs like Warrick Dunn in his prime.  Adams is tough for any CB to cover man to man. 

Maybe lightening will strike, and they will be that underdog team that goes all the way.  But, it's more likely that they will be one and done in the playoffs.  I like Zimmer...I wish he could do more with his players to get ready for the big stage games.  Yet, it appears he's not that kind of coach.  If the Vikings fire him...who do they hire?  Who is the next great coach?  Or, do they hire a safe retread?  If they fire Spielmen, who takes his place?  I know one thing...if the Vikings are to leave football purgatory...they will need to do some bold, crazy things.  This will either take them to football heaven, or send them to football hell.  I would be a little more hopeful either way.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

It doesn't.  It wasn't the missing of Dalvin Cook that made the offensive unproductive.  It was a swinging door at left tackle.

On another note, I find it amazing that there seem to be a few old posters here that seem to have come out of the woodworks to blast everyone from Zimmer to Stefanski...almost as if you've been waiting for a loss to do so.  I find that very disappointing.  If you've had a problem all season long, despite the team winning game after game, I would much more have appreciated your concern if you hadn't seemed like you were just waiting in the weeds for this moment to happen.

The offense didn't play well last night.  We can all admit that, but now coming out now and saying "I knew Stefanski was a stiff" or "I knew Zimmer was just another Marvin Lewis."  That's ridiculous.

I’ve always been against Zimmer.  He isn’t a bad coach but he isn’t good either.  

I haven’t come out of the wood works.  

14 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Nobody can blame the defense tonight. This is our oline not giving cousins any real time 

Cousins still leads the NFL with time to throw just over 3 seconds. In week 16 he lead all QBs with 3.12 seconds.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2019/16#average-time-to-throw

Oline was bad, but he held onto the ball too long all game. This was on him.

I also questioned Mike Boone's effectiveness, which I was right on.

53 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think you amass picks but blowing up the team. Spielman has handed out bad contract to Cousins, and Barr. He also got gems locked up in Hunter and Kendricks. The guy can't scout QB to save his soul.

Zimmer has this defense clicking, but needs a strong offensive mind that he trusts. 

Cousins can't be fixed. He's trash. All you can do is mask his deficiencies. Dalvin does that with how explosive he is. He has proven that with this oline.

I really think you need to sell pieces to get picks for the 2021 crop of QBs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Packer fan here.  Wanted to thank you all for a civil discussion before the game.  I appreciate it!

For me, it was a nerve wracking game to watch.

Minnesota was amazing at forcing those turnovers early.

But, the longer the game went on, it became apparent to me that the Vikes o-line either is terrible, or playing terribly.

Add to it a few boneheaded offensive plays/decisions like the jet sweep pass on a third and short (I think) and I realized that GB could win the game by just kicking field goals.  Then the Vikes defense got winded and allowed a couple nice Jones runs to seal the game.

Objectively, I don't feel like Cousins had a good game.  But, he was under so much pressure.  When Lowry and Lancaster are making plays in the backfield, the offensive line is bad.  Z'Darius was going to get his pressures no matter what.  It was telling to me that our "other" guys, who are more or less just JAGS at this point, were making plays all over the place.  It wasn't elite play that won the line of scrimmage battle it was just bad offensive line play.

I couldn't help but notice how truly awful Bradbury was.  Kenny Clark is a good player.  Not great yet, but he looked like an All Pro against Bradbury.  So did Lancaster.  And Z took his lunch money.  

Anyway, entertaining game and thank you again for the civil conversation.  Onto the playoffs!

Maybe Dalvin would have helped out.

Either way, thanks for the civil posts.

Good chatting with you leading up to the game, buddy.  You're always welcome in here - even if you have a dissenting opinion.  It's nice to talk to a level headed Packer fan.  Most of you are that way.  You guys got the best of things last night.  About all I can do is hope we get another chance to play again this year.  Good luck the rest of the way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Rookie TE watch update: Jace Sternberger will not have more catches than Irv Smith Jr this week. Sternberger is inactive. So far I am happy with the TE the Vikings drafted. The Packer fans can keep holding out hope for their young TE. They are both young but the argument that Sternberger is nearly as good will need something more to support it if they want to keep making that argument much longer.

Sternberger was on IR for most of the season and was reactivated just a couple of weeks ago.  We don't know what we have in this player yet.

• Like 1