Top Gun: Maverick (5-27-22)

thrILL!

23 minutes ago, 43M said:

Kilmer was such and underappreciated actor.    I know he was difficult to work with and he went a little loco, but he couldve and probably shouldve been a much bigger star IMO.

I still maintain he couldve been an amazing Batman.

He’s so damn funny in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

• Like 1

Just saw it today and I loved it. I actually appreciated some of the more subtle things like Maverick buzzing the Carrier tower at the end, Goose’s son’s Rooster call sign, the never leave your wingman and cocky Hangman who was a Maverick clone in his own right, etc.

17 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Just saw it today and I loved it. I actually appreciated some of the more subtle things like Maverick buzzing the Carrier tower at the end, Goose’s son’s Rooster call sign, the never leave your wingman and cocky Hangman who was a Maverick clone in his own right, etc.

Apparently Miles Teller picked that himself. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 2:39 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I love Top Gun. It's like my favorite movie of all time. I've seen it a million times.

This movie gave me great "Act of Valor" vibes, in that the action was literally top-notch left me speechless, but literally everything else was pretty mediocre or bad.

• Injecting Penny Benjamin (who everyone knows from literally just one line) into the story without any sort of explanation of what happened with Charlie and then acting like there's a lot of history between her and Maverick? Ehhhh. Not to mention her character just felt forced as a love interest for Maverick.

I think maybe I’m in the minority here. I always viewed Charlie as a bit of a seasonal flame in the original and was personally great with them paying tribute to the old by injecting her and creating a bit of an implied history there as opposed to a retread.

• The opening sequence on the carrier, again, was amazing, but then it just like doesn't go anywhere and we instantly flash to Maverick in his hanger? Weird. The reason it was great in the opening scene of the original was because the opening sequence took place on that carrier!

I think I more or less appreciated it even though it was out of place because it’s a nod to the original and they kept the original soundtrack, but maybe that’s me. It’s I think more foreshadowing for the ending as opposed to having to be put into the beginning plot line.

• None of the side characters besides Bob were interesting at all. I also hated all of their callsigns besides Payback. Hangman was the most useless character of them all, and only served his purpose at the end coming in to save the day, predictably.

I actually agree with this. My one major gripe was the lack of great side characters. I think that Hangman served as more of a redemptive arc and nod to the “never leave your wingman behind” vibe from the original, and while predictable at the end, he came full circle and evolved.

• I will say the "teaching" sessions where they're reviewing their mistakes were pretty solid, but like all of the side scenes that "advance the plot" were just awful. Even the Val Kilmer scene was meh and only elevated because it was Val.

I get this, but at the same point, Val has been unable to speak since 2018 and I thought they did a fantastic job of utilizing the texting, face to face nonverbal, his stoic and calm demeanor, and then the last jab banter of “Who was the better pilot” low key gave me some awesome vibes.

• The beach scene was super forced and had a terrible song, so that sucked. It also didn't do anything for the plot. Like supposedly it was teambuilding, but like, we don't see the result of that teambuilding really. It's not like they were infighting and then it resolved that. I'm pretty sure the fight between Rooster and Hangman comes after that scene.

We all got what we wanted. Shirtless beach aviator games. I mean…what?

• How many times in this movie did Maverick make an unauthorized takeoff? I know it's embellished but damn bro lol

While super cheesy and unrealistic, we are talking about a dude who has dodged 35 years of promotions because he refuses to be grounded. In Mavericks eyes, it’s reasonable to say that with his persona and self destructive tendencies, he’d rather go out on his terms then to not fly. I even feel like they did a fantastic job of using that “for your wingman/others” redemptive arc from the original when he did that. He wanted to save the manned program, prove the mission could be done, and save those pilots lives, regardless of his personal outcome, even when he pulled Roosters papers and allowed himself to be hated instead of Roosters mom. Maverick is still cocky, but he’s noble now.

• No dogfight scenes with the F18's was kind of a bummer.

I still loved the movie, don't get me wrong. I'm going to see it again. I just really didn't like most of the non-flying scenes and the plot was just meh. Maybe I'm in the minority of this though?

I still had a few goosebump moments. Maverick naming Rooster his wingman, while predictable, was nothing short of giving me the feels.

I loved the dialogue and appropriate nostalgia. “Talk to me Goose/Dad” was pretty awesome.

All of the flying and training scenes were fantastic.

Everything “clicking” for Rooster on the mission was great.

The F-14 at the end was awesome.

Maverick buzzing the carrier tower at the end was AWESOME.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think maybe I’m in the minority here. I always viewed Charlie as a bit of a seasonal flame in the original and was personally great with them paying tribute to the old by injecting her and creating a bit of an implied history there as opposed to a retread.

I think it's more than a seasonal fling when Goose's wife says Maverick is off the market when they're in the piano bar, but idk maybe that's just me.

I think I more or less appreciated it even though it was out of place because it’s a nod to the original and they kept the original soundtrack, but maybe that’s me. It’s I think more foreshadowing for the ending as opposed to having to be put into the beginning plot line.

I think it would've been pretty solid if they opened with the carrier and had Hangman or Rooster or Phoenix doing an actual mission like in the first one to introduce them. Something with the carrier besides the opening sequence, which I completely understand was just a nod to the first movie. Don't get me wrong, I loved both carrier scenes I just wish it would've served a better purpose lol

I get this, but at the same point, Val has been unable to speak since 2018 and I thought they did a fantastic job of utilizing the texting, face to face nonverbal, his stoic and calm demeanor, and then the last jab banter of “Who was the better pilot” low key gave me some awesome vibes.

I was just thinking "what's the point of this scene other than to get Val screen time?", you know? I love Val and that they got him in the movie and even got somewhat of his voice, that scene just was meh for me.

We all got what we wanted. Shirtless beach aviator games. I mean…what?

Bob wasn't shirtless :( Neither was Hondo. 3/10.

I still had a few goosebump moments. Maverick naming Rooster his wingman, while predictable, was nothing short of giving me the feels.

I had goosebump moments even the 2nd time seeing it - mostly in the opening credits/carrier scene and then when they're flying into the final mission. SOOOOO good.

All of the flying and training scenes were fantastic.

Like I said previously, huuuuuge Act of Valor vibes where the actual action is just amazing and unmatched.

Everything “clicking” for Rooster on the mission was great.

I felt that bit for him was kinda forced and another nod to the original when Maverick can't engage and let go. Great, now Rooster can't engage either but for reasons we actually don't know.

The F-14 at the end was awesome.

Agreed.

Maverick buzzing the carrier tower at the end was AWESOME.

Agreed BUT I wish they would've made it more pronounced lol everything else was over the top, but buzzing the tower just gets a quick little thing and a look from John Hamm. BOOOOOOOO!

(NOTE: This has nothing to do with the fact that I was wearing my "Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full" shirt for both movies and was disappointed that quote never made it in)

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think it's more than a seasonal fling when Goose's wife says Maverick is off the market when they're in the piano bar, but idk maybe that's just me.

Perhaps so. I guess I meant I viewed them as a couple but not necessarily serious on his end as much as her end. JMHO

I think it would've been pretty solid if they opened with the carrier and had Hangman or Rooster or Phoenix doing an actual mission like in the first one to introduce them. Something with the carrier besides the opening sequence, which I completely understand was just a nod to the first movie. Don't get me wrong, I loved both carrier scenes I just wish it would've served a better purpose lol

Fair, and maybe true albeit I’m not sure how you transition from unknown side characters to Maverick.

I was just thinking "what's the point of this scene other than to get Val screen time?", you know? I love Val and that they got him in the movie and even got somewhat of his voice, that scene just was meh for me.

Val’s purpose there IMO is to build off of Maverick being forced to teach and train while casting aside the last of his demons towards Goose/his son. It’s a nice bridge IMO. And I think they dubbed over Val’s voice.

Bob wasn't shirtless :( Neither was Hondo. 3/10.

I had goosebump moments even the 2nd time seeing it - mostly in the opening credits/carrier scene and then when they're flying into the final mission. SOOOOO good.

Maverick running the course at 2:14 was pretty epic IMO.

Like I said previously, huuuuuge Act of Valor vibes where the actual action is just amazing and unmatched.

I felt that bit for him was kinda forced and another nod to the original when Maverick can't engage and let go. Great, now Rooster can't engage either but for reasons we actually don't know.

I think it’s supposed to be more subtle in that Rooster “stays perched” because he’s conservative, whereas Hangman “leaves his wingman to die” if they can’t catch up.

Agreed.

Agreed BUT I wish they would've made it more pronounced lol everything else was over the top, but buzzing the tower just gets a quick little thing and a look from John Hamm. BOOOOOOOO!

(NOTE: This has nothing to do with the fact that I was wearing my "Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full" shirt for both movies and was disappointed that quote never made it in)

Hahaha! I mean, I guess I liked the subtleties in them not reusing the older quotes but embracing the persona that some things never change. Maverick is still Maverick despite his selfless behavior…he’s still cocky and refuses to comply.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think it’s supposed to be more subtle in that Rooster “stays perched” because he’s conservative, whereas Hangman “leaves his wingman to die” if they can’t catch up.

Yeah but why is he conservative? That's never really explained. He just is lol 

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Hahaha! I mean, I guess I liked the subtleties in them not reusing the older quotes but embracing the persona that some things never change. Maverick is still Maverick despite his selfless behavior…he’s still cocky and refuses to comply.

oh don't get me wrong I love that aspect. I'm glad they didn't change Maverick at his core

43 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I guess I thought it was supposed to be a subtle nod to his dad dying flying with Maverick’s reckless style, who he clearly still blames, and Maverick’s behavior coupled with his mom not wanting him to fly. I thought it started to come full circle to close the loop with the “talk to me Dad” angle.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I guess I thought it was supposed to be a subtle nod to his dad dying flying with Maverick’s reckless style, who he clearly still blames, and Maverick’s behavior coupled with his mom not wanting him to fly. I thought it started to come full circle to close the loop with the “talk to me Dad” angle.

It's just not very clear like at all. They don't establish that, it's just said at the start by Hangman that he's super conservative and then throughout the film he struggles to be aggressive when flying and struggles to commit, but we never know why.

If anything, it just validates that Maverick was right to pull his papers lol

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

oh don't get me wrong I love that aspect. I'm glad they didn't change Maverick at his core

He’s maybe conservative because, maverick being reckless got  his dad killed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

That would've been a very logical reason but it's not something they establish or talk about in the film. He says he doesn't trust Maverick like his Dad did, but not really anything else indicating he's scared to engage or anything like that.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
8 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

That would've been a very logical reason but it's not something they establish or talk about in the film. He says he doesn't trust Maverick like his Dad did, but not really anything else indicating he's scared to engage or anything like that.

IMO that’s the subtlety I was speaking of. I don’t think it has to be stated because of the history there. And I didn’t view him as scared to engage but rather that what they were being asked to do was on the brink of recklessness as the Admiral adjusted the time to 4 minutes and he and Maverick argued to that end as well.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

IMO that’s the subtlety I was speaking of. I don’t think it has to be stated because of the history there. And I didn’t view him as scared to engage but rather that what they were being asked to do was on the brink of recklessness as the Admiral adjusted the time to 4 minutes and he and Maverick argued to that end as well.

That's definitely a fair point. I guess with everything else they made SUPER OBVIOUS they kind of let that one be very subtle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That's definitely a fair point. I guess with everything else they made SUPER OBVIOUS they kind of let that one be very subtle.

Especially given Hangman leaving his wingman and getting him killed since he could not keep up. It’s also more or less contrasting the personalities of those two. One is too conservative, one is too selfish and reckless, and Maverick has to teach both.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Especially given Hangman leaving his wingman and getting him killed since he could not keep up. It’s also more or less contrasting the personalities of those two. One is too conservative, one is too selfish and reckless, and Maverick has to teach both.

But the Hangman thing was clearly stated by Phoenix, though. "We call him Hangman because he always hangs you out to dry" or whatever she says when they're in the exercises and he leaves his wingman.

Like the dynamic between Goose and Maverick is one thing but it's established by Hangman very early on that Rooster is super conservative when flying. Idk. I'm probably looking too much into this little tiny fact :D