Top Gun: Maverick (5-27-22)

thrILL!

18 hours ago, thrILL! said:

One thing this fantastic sequel didn’t have was an intimidating enemy. Top Gun was during the Cold War where Russians were the scariest threat in the world. And movies like Red Dawn, Firefox etc built that dynamic into our psyches cinematically.  

In Maverick, it’s just some faceless enemy nation (did they even mention which country it was supposed to be?) trying to build nuclear weapons. So there wasn’t quite the weight of context to that threat.  Still a blast tho!

While true for the time period, its never actually said in Top Gun who the MiGs were, thats just you projecting your Cold War feelings onto them. And while yes, those are Russian made planes, other nations had them. Not to mention the battle all takes place "somewhere in the Indian Ocean" so it could be just about anyone.

They kept the same faceless style enemy, as there really inst a place that actually matches up with the terrain they attack right off the ocean. And you could easily place multiple different nations onto the "5th Generation Fighters", including the Russian once again

Great popcorn flick.  Loved the action sequences and the nostalgic callbacks. 

I'm gonna be in the minority on this, but that plot was the most predictable, follow a script type film I've seen in forever.  Sitting with a friend, every single tghing that happened was predictable.  OK, stealing the F14 was a surprise.....

• Like 1

A well worthy and entertaining sequel. A couple of groan worthy cheese scenes and one too much Fast and Furious type scene but I was smiling throughout the rest even with its paint by numbers plot. I can’t wait to see it again. 

This is a small gripe but the lady gaga song did not do it for me during the beach scene or the end credits.

One of the more iconic things about the original was the credit format with “you’ve lost that lovin feeling” playing in the background and they tried to recreate it with a song that was way too pop imo. Ending credits format would have landed way better with a different song choice IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

This is a small gripe but the lady gaga song did not do it for me during the beach scene or the end credits.

One of the more iconic things about the original was the credit format with “you’ve lost that lovin feeling” playing in the background and they tried to recreate it with a song that was way too pop imo. Ending credits format would have landed way better with a different song choice IMO

None of the new song choices were great...

• Like 2

On 6/5/2022 at 7:56 AM, Ray Reed said:

You mean "Take my breath away"?

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

You mean "Take my breath away"?

No, you've lost that lovin' feelin, the old righteous brothers song Maverick sings at the beginning in the bar

They recreated this end credit format (starts at 2:00 in this vid) in the new one but it kinda stunk because the Lady Gaga song they used stunk and just felt really out of place

Edited by Ray Reed

43 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

They recreated this end credit format (starts at 2:00 in this vid) in the new one but it kinda stunk because the Lady Gaga song they used stunk and just felt really out of place

Ah, I see what you are saying, I thought you were talking about playing the song under different parts of the film. They did that with the Gaga Song like they did with Take My Breath Away in the original as well

• Like 1

I love Top Gun. It's like my favorite movie of all time. I've seen it a million times.

This movie gave me great "Act of Valor" vibes, in that the action was literally top-notch left me speechless, but literally everything else was pretty mediocre or bad.

• Injecting Penny Benjamin (who everyone knows from literally just one line) into the story without any sort of explanation of what happened with Charlie and then acting like there's a lot of history between her and Maverick? Ehhhh. Not to mention her character just felt forced as a love interest for Maverick.
  • The opening sequence on the carrier, again, was amazing, but then it just like doesn't go anywhere and we instantly flash to Maverick in his hanger? Weird. The reason it was great in the opening scene of the original was because the opening sequence took place on that carrier!
  • None of the side characters besides Bob were interesting at all. I also hated all of their callsigns besides Payback. Hangman was the most useless character of them all, and only served his purpose at the end coming in to save the day, predictably.
  • I will say the "teaching" sessions where they're reviewing their mistakes were pretty solid, but like all of the side scenes that "advance the plot" were just awful. Even the Val Kilmer scene was meh and only elevated because it was Val.
  • The beach scene was super forced and had a terrible song, so that sucked. It also didn't do anything for the plot. Like supposedly it was teambuilding, but like, we don't see the result of that teambuilding really. It's not like they were infighting and then it resolved that. I'm pretty sure the fight between Rooster and Hangman comes after that scene.
  • How many times in this movie did Maverick make an unauthorized takeoff? I know it's embellished but damn bro lol
  • No dogfight scenes with the F18's was kind of a bummer.

I still loved the movie, don't get me wrong. I'm going to see it again. I just really didn't like most of the non-flying scenes and the plot was just meh. Maybe I'm in the minority of this though?

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I still loved the movie, don't get me wrong. I'm going to see it again. I just really didn't like most of the non-flying scenes and the plot was just meh. Maybe I'm in the minority of this though?

Oh it was cheesy as hell often, but I expected that. It was just pure enjoyment for me. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 4:11 PM, thrILL! said:

all the feels

Kilmer was such and underappreciated actor.    I know he was difficult to work with and he went a little loco, but he couldve and probably shouldve been a much bigger star IMO.

I still maintain he couldve been an amazing Batman.

• Like 1