Scott Turner named new OC

Looks like Kevin O'Connell will be part of a pool of candidates, but at least he has a fighting chance right now.  With Del Rio already on board as DC, this process should move fairly quickly.  I'm glad that he isn't being forced onto Rivera, even though I do think he did enough to be considered.  

I would also guess Mike Shula is a candidate based off past history.  Ken Dorsey has spent enough time as a QB coach and could get an interview.  Rod Chudzinski coached with Rivera in San Diego and could also be a candidate.  

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Looks like Kevin O'Connell will be part of a pool of candidates, but at least he has a fighting chance right now.  With Del Rio already on board as DC, this process should move fairly quickly.  I'm glad that he isn't being forced onto Rivera, even though I do think he did enough to be considered.  

I would also guess Mike Shula is a candidate based off past history.  Ken Dorsey has spent enough time as a QB coach and could get an interview.  Rod Chudzinski coached with Rivera in San Diego and could also be a candidate.  

Jeezy starts pounding the table for Dorsey in 3....2....1.....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Jeremy Fowler from ESPN gives two other interesting names from the 49ers- passing game coordinator Mike Lafleur and running game coordinator Mike McDaniel

Kyle wouldn’t give permission for Mike LaFluer to interview with his brother In Green Bay last year. No way he’d give permission to Snyder. 

Craig Hoffman has reported via Twitter that the meeting between O’Connell and Rivera will be a “two-way interview”.

This is going to be a two-way interview. Rivera has to figure out if he wants Kevin [O’Connell], which I presume will happen. Kevin also has to figure out if he wants to stay. Rivera has to sell things will be VERY different.

One of the biggest pluses for Kevin [O’Connell] staying is Haskins. He really liked working with him and he knows that if he can continue that growth, he’s gonna have his pick of jobs down the line.

It was reported by several sources that O’Connell was given full control as the play caller from Week 15 onward. In the four weeks from Week 13 to 16, the Redskins offense was second in points scored behind the New Orleans Saints.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/1/1/21045414/report-ron-rivera-will-interview-kevin-oconnell-for-offensive-coordinator

Bad thing with KO'C is there are so many options out there this year. Bears, Giants, Carolina, Cleveland. Maybe the 49ers and Chiefs and who knows what else may open.

Seems like to keep him. Theyre going to have to lock him down with the interview. Once he starts interviewing elsewhere, its over.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/1/1/21045414/report-ron-rivera-will-interview-kevin-oconnell-for-offensive-coordinator

Bad thing with KO'C is there are so many options out there this year. Bears, Giants, Carolina, Cleveland. Maybe the 49ers and Chiefs and who knows what else may open.

Seems like to keep him. Theyre going to have to lock him down with the interview. Once he starts interviewing elsewhere, its over.

Great job finding that, all are great points.  KOC also knows that his growth with the Redskins is capped at OC only.  He's going to become a head coach in all likelihood down the line, the question he has to answer for himself is what situation gives him the chance to get there, and get there the fastest.  

And sure, some of you guys will say that KOC is under contract, and while that's true, if he is unhappy after meeting with Rivera, do you want someone mentoring Haskins and running the offense who isn't all in?  

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And sure, some of you guys will say that KOC is under contract, and while that's true, if he is unhappy after meeting with Rivera, do you want someone mentoring Haskins and running the offense who isn't all in?  

He would be all in though. You know whats on the line for him as much as he does. Chargers, Jags, Cowboys, Cards, Lions could all be potential openings next year. And he seems to like the players and them him. See how fond Haskins is of him. So I dont think hed be unhappy here if held to his contract. Especially if they rework it for this new role.

My opinion: KOC wanting to stay is way more contingent on what he thinks of Dwayne Haskins than Ron Rivera.

Regardless of who the offensive coordinator is, Rivera will give them play calling duties. If KOC believes in Dwayne’s ability and the young pieces on offense, he’d probably be inclined to stay. 

Edited by A TRAIN 89
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

My opinion: KOC wanting to stay is way more contingent on what he thinks of Dwayne Haskins than Ron Rivera.

Regardless of who the offensive coordinator is, Rivera will give them play calling duties. If KOC believes in Dwayne’s ability and the young pieces on offense, he’d probably be inclined to stay. 

I would also agree with this take, but he also has to be on board with Rivera's vision as a whole as well.  

If I had to guess who the Offensive Coordinator will be, I think it’s going to be Ken Dorsey. Rivera knows and is familiar with him which I think is huge for RR. Feels he will be able to develop DH, like he did for Cam and is starting to with Josh Allen. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If I had to guess who the Offensive Coordinator will be, I think it’s going to be Ken Dorsey. Rivera knows and is familiar with him which I think is huge for RR. Feels he will be able to develop DH, like he did for Cam and is starting to with Josh Allen. 

Maybe they keep KOC and bring Dorsey in as QB coach?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Rappaport just tweeted Scott Turner is in to interview for the OC job today. Possible he gets the QB coach job. 
After the way it ended with papa Norv, does this mean Snyder’s showing he’ll stay out of Rivera’s way? 

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Maybe they keep KOC and bring Dorsey in as QB coach?

KOC as OC and either Scott Turner or Dorsey as QB Coach and see how KOC does or leaves you have someone to take his place if needed. 

I don’t know so much about Kevin O. 

whst quarterbacks has he mentored who are now elite or above average?

our offense didn’t explode with him as O coordinator- I believe we were ranked 32 out of 32. I’m not putting all the blame on him, lots of factors. We played terrible defensive teams at the end when the O did ok. What success has he had?

Coach Burgundy would be taking a huge gamble with him, as he’s a D coach and needs a strong experienced O coordinator with a track record of success. 

let the interviews proceed