Lets talk about Cam Sims

LoganF89

6’5” 220 pounds according to NFL.COM

4.52-4.59 40 time

I know every offseason we talk about a guy who could benefit from switching positions and all that. But do any of you think he could add 20 pounds and play a receiving TE role? I’m not saying start the guy but he has so much potential and I feel that he won’t have a spot on this roster at WR next year. If you look at some of the TEs that we’re drafted in the past few years you can see that not a lot of guys are big maulers. If he could gain the muscle and hit the gym and work on his blocking would y’all entertain a switch for him? I know we tried with Niles Paul but Paul didn’t the talent Sims has as a receiver. Blocking would be his biggest curve if he was able to hit 240 or more which is possible. What do y’all think?

Engram 6-3 240

Reed 6-2 243

Ebron 6-4 245

Fant 6-4 248

Njoku 6-4 247

Howard 6-6 242

• Like 1

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

If he did, I'd have Cooley work with him and show him video of McLaurin blocking.

Would he not be a matchup nightmare though? Anyone know how big niles Paul was when he came into the league compared to how big he got to play TE?

2 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Would he not be a matchup nightmare though? Anyone know how big niles Paul was when he came into the league compared to how big he got to play TE?

His measurables before the draft were 6'1, 224.  

Instead of asking this kid to bulk up, where he could lose some of the speed and elusiveness he already possesses, let's keep him as a WR who also returns kicks and is involved in the running game.  Sometimes we don't have to reinvent the wheel.  

I think if something aint broke. You dont go breaking it.

Have to see how he continues to grow at WR first. If he was on the verge of being cut or deep down the roster. Then you can tinker. But he kept improving and nabbed 4tds in the last 3 games. He keeps getting better at the WR position.

And TE would be a waste for him. Haskins avg a league best 2.3 seconds to release to targets. We need more a blocking TE because theres not many 240+lb guys out there getting open in that narrow window anyway. Thats why they havent been targeted.

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

His measurables before the draft were 6'1, 224.  

Instead of asking this kid to bulk up, where he could lose some of the speed and elusiveness he already possesses, let's keep him as a WR who also returns kicks and is involved in the running game.  Sometimes we don't have to reinvent the wheel.  

I’m talking about Cam Sims not Steven Sims I mean he only saw playing time towards the end of the year when Prich and Quinn were officially out. Pretty sure he was on the practice squad on the opening day roster

Edited by LoganF89

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I think if something aint broke. You dont go breaking it.

Have to see how he continues to grow at WR first. If he was on the verge of being cut or deep down the roster. Then you can tinker. But he kept improving and nabbed 4tds in the last 3 games. He keeps getting better at the WR position.

And TE would be a waste for him. Haskins avg a league best 2.3 seconds to release to targets. We need more a blocking TE because theres not many 240+lb guys out there getting open in that narrow window anyway. Thats why they havent been targeted.

I’m talking about Cam Sims. It Steven Sims

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

I’m talking about Cam Sims not Steven Sims I mean he only saw playing time towards the end of the year when Prich and Quinn were officially out. Pretty sure he was on the practice squad on the opening day roster

Sorry wrong guy, can't keep track of everyone.  It wouldn't hurt to try it, I guess?  I would wait to see who is coaching tight ends next year though. 

If he is willing to learn blocking, he has the chance to make a career of it. As much as people might not have like Niles Paul, the move to TE probably made it possible for him to survive in the NFL as long as he has. Like speed, size cannot be taught.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2018/03/08/observations-from-alabamas-2018-pro-day/

4.52 - 4.59 40 (hand times)

6'5", 214 (at pro day, listed at 215 on the roster)

34" vertical, 10'3" broad jump

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehuddle.com/2019/03/03/2018-nfl-combine-results-tight-ends-2/amp/

Those are reasonable company. The vertical isn't great, but everything else (except weight) is in the ball park.

If he's willing to put in the work to learn a new position and its responsibilities, why not give it a shot? The trick is the "if" in that previous sentence.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2020 at 9:22 PM, Thaiphoon said:

If he did, I'd have Cooley work with him and show him video of McLaurin blocking.

Coming from Alabama, I think Sims is already a good blocker but, he’d have to improve as an in-line blocker.

My thing is weight, he's going to have to put on 25-30 pounds this offseaon. I don’t see as switch to TE for him. I see him making the team next year as our 5th or 6th WR.

My prediction is since Austin Hooper hasn’t even gotten a contract offer from the Falcons and that Rivera is familiar with what Hopper brings to the table twice a year that Hopper will be signed as our only big money free agent on offense to replace Jordan Reed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Coming from Alabama, I think Sims is already a good blocker but, he’d have to improve as an in-line blocker.

My thing is weight, he's going to have to put on 25-30 pounds this offseaon. I don’t see as switch to TE for him. I see him making the team next year as our 5th or 6th WR.

My prediction is since Austin Hooper hasn’t even gotten a contract offer from the Falcons and that Rivera is familiar with what Hopper brings to the table twice a year that Hopper will be signed as our only big money free agent on offense to replace Jordan Reed.

speaking of Reed has anyone heard anything about him lately at all? I feel like when he was put on IR we heard about possible retirement but thats the last I heard about him

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

giphy.gif

I just never understood the hatred for a player like Paul or even Ryan Grant who we’re always back ups - except bc of injury to starters - and usually a few of the last guys to make the team. 

Like, why do guys waste their breath and words on hating a back up/special teams player who isn’t great but plays a role on the team and is reliable in that role?

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I just never understood the hatred for a player like Paul or even Ryan Grant who we’re always back ups - except bc of injury to starters - and usually a few of the last guys to make the team. 

Like, why do guys waste their breath and words on hating a back up/special teams player who isn’t great but plays a role on the team and is reliable in that role.

Add Ryan Anderson to that group.

• Like 1