Wild Card Weekend: New Orleans Saints (13-3) vs. Minnesota Vikings (10-6): Welcome to the madness

Canadian Saint

12 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm back on that bandwagon. All that talent, and come out flatter than a pancake.... Reminds me of the 80's/90's Bills or the Andy Ried Eagles.

Close just doesn't cut it.

While I don't think Payton is going anywhere, I honestly wouldn't mind a new OC and DC. I think some of the voices in the room have gotten stale, and a new voice on both sides of the ball could really help.

DC because man am I tired of a D that's underwhelming. You'd think having an All-pro in every level of the D (Cam, DD and Lattimore), we'd be a little more sure. Instead we have the same PTSD as ever.

OC because I think Payton needs another voice, at the very least an alternative point of view. Screen to Kamara on third down hasn't worked once all season. We could use someone with a plan B.

Oh and Aaron Glenn can bugger off too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’m buying a Taysom Hill jersey this offseason

he became one of my favorite saints of all time this year 

he was one of the only players on offense that deserved a win today 

Yeah I counted 3.5 players who came to play today. Tayson Hill, Deonte Harris and Demario Davis. The 0.5 is Cam Jordan towards the end of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Yeah I counted 3.5 players who came to play today. Tayson Hill, Deonte Harris and Demario Davis. The 0.5 is Cam Jordan towards the end of the game.

Yea, I said the same.  It wasn't just a few guys underperforming, the entire team, including coaches, came out flat with the exception of those guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

OC because I think Payton needs another voice, at the very least an alternative point of view. Screen to Kamara on third down hasn't worked once all season. We could use someone with a plan B.

I'm tired of screens.  They haven't worked great honestly for a while now.  Defenses seem to sniff them out much quicker than they used too. 

Sean Payton: "Obviously a difficult loss. I felt, really, at the end of the day they made a few more plays, enough more plays than we did. Took us a while offensively to get going. I think they did a handful of things to kind of hinder us in the running game. We finally gained a little more momentum in the second half. I thought defensively we held up. Tip your hats to Minnesota. They deserve to win. It's always difficult when it happens in the playoffs. You know there's no follow-up game. You go from there."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001094676/article/sean-payton-after-loss-tip-your-hats-to-minnesota

very classy attitude, particularly after such a sting of a loss. very evenly matched teams today, could have gone either way.

2 minutes ago, Classic said:

What's the future going to look like Saints fans? Bridgewater or Brees?

Hard to say.  I doubt Bridgewater is the long term answer, but maybe he'll surprise us and keep getting better.  

I wouldn't mind seeing Taysom Hill get a shot honestly.  Although, putting full control of the offense into his hands might not turn out for the best.  He's great in the role he's in now, not sure if he would be better as QB 1 or not.

Not sure if Brees comes back or not.  He should probably retire at this point, team isn't getting any better and he's not getting any younger.  But, who knows what he'll do.

3 hours ago, Classic said:

What's the future going to look like Saints fans? Bridgewater or Brees?

Hate to say it, but I kind of hope Brees calls it a career, so we can keep Bridgewater as our QB going forward. Teddy was a bit of a game manager at first with us when he came in for an injured Brees, which wasn't a particularly bad thing as he was doing enough for the team to win. However, it seemed as he get more time in this system he was starting to show he could be more than a game manager in this offense. He had 7 touchdowns and 1 interception in his last 3 games as a starter and was starting to take some more chances downfield and showed a lot more confidence in his arm. With the weapons we have on offense I don't see why Bridgewater couldn't be successful here as our QB.

• Like 2

What a letdown of a game with how well we did this season. At least this loss doesn't sting as bad as the last two playoff losses. Those vikings played pretty well and yet again I believe the other team wanted the win more. It was still a great season to watch with CGM and Brees breaking records and balling out. 

As for next season, I am not sure what would be best for the saints. Teddy went undefeated as a starter against some good competition and so moving on to him  and Taysom Hill looks like a promising future that would keep our window open a few more years. I just think that Brees might be at that age where, as good as he is (and he's really good), he might just be limiting our offense at this point. To see an offense tailored to Teddy and Hill this offseason would be interesting to see come next year.

I watched a few games this weekend, and Brees looked like the young QB's yesterday. Poor decision making, flinging the ball downfield into double coverage, stepping back when under pressure rather than stepping up into a clean pocket, poor clock management (worst 2 minute drives, possibly ever) and just overall rattled. He mustered one good drive...ONE!

If that's all he can bring to the table in the post season, at 41 years old, it's time for him to call it a career. There's plenty of talent out there. Are they as accurate as Brees? Well, if yesterday was the benchmark, I'd say maybe.

Brees was pedestrian. Josh McCown had better numbers coming off the bench for the Eagles. The only QB's that looked worse than Brees were Josh Allen, and Ryan Tannehill. That's unacceptable for a battle tested veteran.

And again...our defense....o.O

I actually feel like this whole team plays up when Brees is down, and down when Brees is up. I think they expected him to be up this game, and everybody got fooled.

I'm tired, and disappointed. Changes need to be made, in a big way.