Eric Kendricks named 1st team All-Pro

swede700

The other newcomers were Humphrey; 49ers tight end George Kittle; Ravens left tackle Ronnie Stanley; Saints right tackle Ryan Ramczyk; Steelers edge rusher T.J. Watt; Saints linebacker Demario Davis; Vikings LB Eric Kendricks; Bills cornerback Tre’Davious White; safeties Jamal Adams of the Jets and Minkah Fitzpatrick of the Steelers; Titans punter Brett Kern; and Saints punt returner Deonte Harris, the only rookie on the team.

https://apnews.com/c300dc9d34ab708591e31bffb2641d2a

Here's the all-pro teams...

https://apnews.com/eeca59cc33eb5eeb11f3d08e7b0328c1

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Wow that is a surprise.  But TJ Watt is 2nd team all pro as a linebacker but is clearly more an edge rusher.  Kuechly and Carolina had a down year as a D but not sure I would ever take Eric Kendricks over Luke Kuechly at any point in time.  Looks like Kendricks had 18 votes and Kuechly had 17 so one vote away, so pretty close call and not like there is a ton of other elite LB competition out there.  Kendricks is improved in pass coverage a good deal but has not made as many tackles behind the line of scrimmage either.  Looks like Harrison was one vote away from being 2nd team all pro Safety also.

This flex position is odd on offense, if they have it on offense they should have flex on D for the 3/4 OLB types and the true DEs like Hunter.

How is Danielle Hunter not on this list?  Za'Darius Smith is listed at linebacker also which does not make sense but to say Kendricks has had a more impactful year than Za'Darius Smith has had?  Well that is simply not the case, did people watch the last time the Vikings played the Packers?  

Good for Kendricks though but not sure he deserved it completely.  Will be a good matchup with him going against Demario Davis on the other side who arguably meant more to his team with the LB injuries the Saints have had this year.

Another note Eddie Jackson just became the highest paid safety in the NFL.  And he was not even voted to the 1st or even 2nd team All pro safety position this year.  Did not have the great year especially not the returns for TDs he had the season before when they lead the league in turnovers and he had 15 passes defected, 6 INTs and 2 TDs.  Fine player sure but best safety in the NFL, not so sure about that one, he benefits a lot but all that is around him.  Jamal Adams and especially Minkah Fizpatrick are better safeties than Eddie.  

After drafting Kendricks, I thought he would be an average NFL linebacker at best.  Was I ever wrong.  Very happy to see his success.  He's been one of my favorite Vikings for the past few years.

Edited by since72
spelling

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Another note Eddie Jackson just became the highest paid safety in the NFL.  And he was not even voted to the 1st or even 2nd team All pro safety position this year.  Did not have the great year especially not the returns for TDs he had the season before when they lead the league in turnovers and he had 15 passes defected, 6 INTs and 2 TDs.  Fine player sure but best safety in the NFL, not so sure about that one, he benefits a lot but all that is around him.  Jamal Adams and especially Minkah Fizpatrick are better safeties than Eddie.  

I think several have speculated that they did it to free up cap space to bring in free agent competition for Trubisky.  

1 minute ago, since72 said:

After drafting Kendricks, I thought he would be an average NFL linebacker at best.  Was I ever wrong.  Very happy to see his success.  He's been one of my favorite Vikings for the past few years.

He's pretty much Harrison Smith.

Not flashy. Not going to make the highlights. Not going to get recognized as one of the best.

Not weak in any aspect. Amazing positioning and play recognition. Great tackler. Great fundamentals. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

He's pretty much Harrison Smith.

Not flashy. Not going to make the highlights. Not going to get recognized as one of the best.

Not weak in any aspect. Amazing positioning and play recognition. Great tackler. Great fundamentals. 

I don’t understand? Harrison makes the highlights almost every game. Charles Davis nicknamed him Mr. Fix it and says anytime the defense starts to falter, zimmer tells smith to go and fix it. He is always making a play and always around the ball lol. Matter fact Harry is at the point where he will get into pro bowls off his name alone. A down year from Harrison Smith will still make him a pro bowler 

5 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I don’t understand? Harrison makes the highlights almost every game. Charles Davis nicknamed him Mr. Fix it and says anytime the defense starts to falter, zimmer tells smith to go and fix it. He is always making a play and always around the ball lol. Matter fact Harry is at the point where he will get into pro bowls off his name alone. A down year from Harrison Smith will still make him a pro bowler 

I think we have differences on opinion on what a "highlight" play is.

On 1/3/2020 at 3:22 PM, swede700 said:

I think several have speculated that they did it to free up cap space to bring in free agent competition for Trubisky.  

The Bears to me would be a much more scary team if they did what the Vikings have done, run the ball more and become a more ball control offense.  If the Bears went back to that they would be far more successful I feel than the offense they have now which gets off the field quickly and does not help out the D, at least early in the season.

PS Watching the Bills playoff game, Tremaine Edmunds deserves to be 1st team all pro ahead of Eric Kendricks.  Great Kendricks got the nod but no way on earth is he better than Tremaine Edmunds this year or any year in the future.  Edmunds is a super star and if I remember correct was one of the youngest if not the youngest player in the NFL last season.