Offseason Thread

Elky

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

With Michel getting at least another look, a 2nd round unknown in Harris, and Burk/White as COP backs, who can they really afford to bring in? Not a vet worth anything because of cap constraints, and are you going to spend 3 day 1/2 picks on a back in consecutive years? 

Maybe Gore would come in on a minimum deal.

Would like Gore if no other reason than he is a Hall of Famer.

BUT, in regard to your first part about how to manage the backfield touches: Harris is an unknown - yes - but that doesn't mean a lost cause. Same with Michel, who is an average NFL starter. Say Burkhead stays and White leaves, the rest of those touches could go to a combination of versatile weapons which is what I expect McDaniels to do in tandem with the guy they hired from the Rams offensive coaching staff. I'd love Gurley at a discount but realistically I could see a Cordarelle Patterson type of role being more prominant and aplit between multiple players this season. We have discussed Eric Ebron, and I could see Taysom Hill being acquired as a vet QB/RB/WR/ST guy. Julian has some backfield experience as well and with drops becoming an issue maybe he will stick around as a gadget player in addition to a WR.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

Would like Gore if no other reason than he is a Hall of Famer.

BUT, in regard to your first part about how to manage the backfield touches: Harris is an unknown - yes - but that doesn't mean a lost cause. Same with Michel, who is an average NFL starter. Say Burkhead stays and White leaves, the rest of those touches could go to a combination of versatile weapons which is what I expect McDaniels to do in tandem with the guy they hired from the Rams offensive coaching staff. I'd love Gurley at a discount but realistically I could see a Cordarelle Patterson type of role being more prominant and aplit between multiple players this season. We have discussed Eric Ebron, and I could see Taysom Hill being acquired as a vet QB/RB/WR/ST guy. Julian has some backfield experience as well and with drops becoming an issue maybe he will stick around as a gadget player in addition to a WR.

Jalen Hurts in the draft as a situational QB/RB or potential starter down the line is what I expect too.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

EDIT: Edelman is another guy who could be on the outs. 33, banged up, hands are going. I don't know his contract situ. though.

I've mentioned it numerous times since he tore his ACL. I thought he's be gone if the Gronk trade to the Lions was executed and Brady left sooner.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I've mentioned it numerous times since he tore his ACL. I thought he's be gone if the Gronk trade to the Lions was executed and Brady left sooner.

I was thinking of a Jules trade given his cap # but would have to be after June 1st according to OTC?  Before then it’s 5.4M Dead /4,4M saved?  Or am I missing something?

It's not an official report or rumor but Pelissero is reputable and discussed on an NFL Network segment that the Pats could be looking into Hill as an option.

As I suggested.

The other possibility if a trade doesn't work out for Hill is to sign Flacco.

I believe either one of those two will be on the roster at some point relatively soon. I'd imagine a Joe Thuney + draft pick make sense.

Heck, sign Flacco and trade for Hill. Get 'em both. Would be a good position group to help Stidham develop I feel. You draft Hurts too, fine, that'd be great and I would be excited. But I think the Pats will probably look to beef up the front seven and offensive line instead during the draft. I think they have invested a lot into the receiver position and don't intend to draft anybody high there again or sign anyone besides potentially a tight end like Eric Ebron at a bargain hopefully. Plan Z at tight end maybe could be Jordan Reed if Ebron is too pricey.

Edited by DoleINGout

I don't see wasting any assets ( not counting drafting) on a QB this year, until or unless the Pats know what they have in Stidham. Anyone one you trade for is not going to put us back in contention.  The only reason to bring in a veteran on the cheap is to help Stidham develop or go in if he falls apart. What ever veteran comes in should be a stop cap this year. I would wait for a veteran to be cut and than bring him in on a minimum salary.  IMO Brian Hoyer is perfect stop cap if he cut. He knows the system and what is needed to play (Pats) QB. IMO there is not one current NFL QB that can help the Pats next year to win the SB or for that matter,  move the needle.  I just don't see how the Pats  can beat any of the AFC powers  KC, Ravens, Tenn with who ever they bring in next year. Not only do they not have the talent they have no weapons and I mean none.  Pats need a plan not a band-aid .

IMO the Pats current RBs needs a major overhaul. I not saying the current group is bad but I'm looking to the future. I look at next year as a rebuilding year and the current group are not part of the future. Harris is the only one in the group that is safe. I'm assuming he good player. He could stink for all we know, none of us have any idea. I would trade the rest of them if I could. Burkhead to injury prone,  "RB old,"  offers nothing in the future.  Sony. Here's the hard one. Can you get any value for him. He will be in his 4th/5th year when the Pats are back in contention. James White,  money and the most value asset to trade. James White is great , a pure Patriot. White is one of my favorites, however you have to move him to build for the future. What I'm saying he not part of the future which could be 2/3 years away.

One note on White. He will be 30 when the Pats are in contention. He will be just as valuable for a contending team, because he a 3RD down back.  He could play for  several more years. Think Darren Sproles. Do the Pats keep him or afford him in the future. That's a tough one for me. I tend to lean on trading him.

Edited by m haynes

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Crowd wants PJ Walker

]

Walker’s 5’11” height likely did not do him any favors, but the NFL has continued to become more lenient when it comes to measurables, even in the last three years. Walker’s accuracy was also a question as the quarterback only completed 60 percent of his passes in one of his four seasons at Temple.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/02/pj-phillip-walker-nfl-draft-colts-stats/

I'm not judging. Competition might be a direct results of his play.   All "doors" are open,  when it comes to the Pats QB situation.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I don't see wasting any assets ( not counting drafting) on a QB this year, until or unless the Pats know what they have in Stidham. Anyone one you trade for is not going to put us back in contention.  The only reason to bring in a veteran on the cheap is to help Stidham develop or go in if he falls apart. What ever veteran comes in should be a stop cap this year. I would wait for a veteran to be cut and than bring him in on a minimum salary.  IMO Brian Hoyer is perfect stop cap if he cut. He knows the system and what is needed to play (Pats) QB. IMO there is not one current NFL QB that can help the Pats next year to win the SB or for that matter,  move the needle.  I just don't see how the Pats  can beat any of the AFC powers  KC, Ravens, Tenn with who ever they bring in next year. Not only do they not have the talent they have no weapons and I mean none.  Pats need a plan not a band-aid .

IMO the Pats current RBs needs a major overhaul. I not saying the current group is bad but I'm looking to the future. I look at next year as a rebuilding year and the current group are not part of the future. Harris is the only one in the group that is safe. I'm assuming he good player. He could stink for all we know, none of us have any idea. I would trade the rest of them if I could. Burkhead to injury prone,  "RB old,"  offers nothing in the future.  Sony. Here's the hard one. Can you get any value for him. He will be in his 4th/5th year when the Pats are back in contention. James White,  money and the most value asset to trade. James White is great , a pure Patriot. White is one of my favorites, however you have to move him to build for the future. What I'm saying he not part of the future which could be 2/3 years away.

One note on White. He will be 30 when the Pats are in contention. He will be just as valuable for a contending team, because he a 3RD down back.  He could play for  several more years. Think Darren Sproles. Do the Pats keep him or afford him in the future. That's a tough one for me. I tend to lean on trading him.

Damien Harris is a nice rub who didn’t get playing time

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2020/03/patriots-free-agency-rumors-fb-dan-vitale-closing-in-on-deal-what-does-it-mean-for-james-develin.html

Devlin is 31 years old. Vitale is 26. Getting younger.  I see the Pats bringing in FBs into camp this year.  Many good ones won't even be drafted. Wait, maybe I spoke to soon. Do they even have FBs in college ! :D

Oh, Bill.

Tom Brady’s decision to move on to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after 20 seasons with the New England Patriots was reportedly fueled by head coach Bill Belichick’s decision to offer him to the San Francisco 49ers instead of backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo back in 2017.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tom-brady-patriots-bill-belichick-49ers-trade-report

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Leaving your team after a SB win would be quite foolish. I don’t have any doubts this is true. 

I dunno.  Could be, but could also be the state of the team.  You're the GOAT.  You may have 2-3 years left, maybe 1-2 of high level performance.  The tools in NE on offense aren't there and there's no money to get them there.  The D is going to regress, your OL is mess.  So you're looking at a tougher schedule with little to no improvement from previous year from a personnel perspective.  I'd probably move on too if I wanted to succeed in my last couple seasons.  Maybe a bit of both.  TB doesn't have the time to sit around and try and weather the transition.