Is Drew Brees overrated?

rocky_rams

Drew Brees to me is Dan Fouts with a Super Bowl ring. Is he among the greats? Yes, all time top 10? No way.

Among current era QB’s in their prime who were considered amongst the best with the game on the line, he is among the last I would take. He wilts in the moment more than Brady, Manning, or Rodgers.

His stats did get a slight pad but I am not going to hold that against him, he still made the passes and touchdowns, regardless of the defense he played against.

Lastly, no one here can be serious about the legends of the game playing with todays rules. Montana, Moon, Marino and many others would be unstoppable with the way defense is limited to defend these days.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:11 PM, TheGame316 said:

This is a group discussion numbnuts. My position on Brees is he was a mediocre QB in San Diego, who's play became elevated because he joined up with Sean Payton. He has a lot of passing stats because he plays for a pass heavy offensive Head Coach, but he has also benefited statistically from playing on teams with bad defenses where he was permitted to throw..... a lot

At the end of the day, he has 1 Superbowl in 19 seasons. 3 seasons with 13 wins, 4 with 11 wins and 8 seasons 8-8 or worse. Was never the best QB in his era and has Zero MVPs

Some people think he is Top 3, Top 5 and they are overrating him

He is somewhere beyond 10 but before 15. A lot of QB's would have thrown for a lot of yards in this offense and in this era

Name them.

On January 5, 2020 at 5:38 PM, ET80 said:

Top 10 in Completion percentage, yards, QB rating, top 5 in TDs in 05... and that's nothing special?

Um... If you say so. :|

He's right though. Brees came back to earth in 2005. We were given the moniker of the most talented team to miss the playoffs that year. It wasn't all his fault of course. But that's the joy of playing QB for the Chargers.

6 minutes ago, Xenos said:

He's right though. Brees came back to earth in 2005. We were given the moniker of the most talented team to miss the playoffs that year. It wasn't all his fault of course. But that's the joy of playing QB for the Chargers.

It was the same story for the Chargers in 2010.  Had no business missing the playoffs with top ranked offense and defense, but did anyway.  The Chargers have just been a poorly run organization.

15 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Drew Brees is Philip Rivers with a better HC and a GM that manages to get him a good OL. That's not a knock on Brees. Just that both him and Rivers are very similar players based on my observations over the years.

Dont discredit Brees like that. It's common knowledge or should be, LAC gave up on Brees after an injury and has spent the last 12+ years looking like idiots because of it because while the Saints have been consistently trolling their division and Brees playing like a Top 5 QB, Rivers has not won the Chargers anything. He is a very good QB, but is also as much part of that teams failures as he is their successes. The Chargers,.imo, made the wrong choice and Rivers simply isnt as good as Brees.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 10:58 AM, Danger said:

At this point in his career. Drew Brees is overrated. Drew Brees is declining, just more slowly than some others we've seen.

If Brees retired this year he would go down as one of the best if not the best gun slinger of all time. No matter who they played he gave his team a chance.  It's idiotic to think anyone will care what he did his first to years with a horrible offense out of a 19 year plus career.  Brees most of his career has been clutch and fallen victim to 5 of the top 5 craziest playoffs lost the last 20 years. He will go down as one of the smartest, most aware and definitely the most accurate Qb's to play the game. When they go back and look at his lack of rings they are going to simply he wasn't suppose to but he was great enough to fool everyone in believing the Saints had a chance year in and year out.

When you see guys like Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers with only one ring and one super bowl appearance, especially in the NFC...it's crazy.

Going by memory, I remember Eli had a hot hand in the playoffs leading to his first super bowl. Then Cam Newton had a big year.  Then it was Matt Ryan.

The consistent guys keep getting bumped by the one-year wonders lol.

20 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Drew Brees is Philip Rivers with a better HC and a GM that manages to get him a good OL. That's not a knock on Brees. Just that both him and Rivers are very similar players based on my observations over the years.

The Brees has never had a Wr core as good as River starting almost immediately after he left the Chargers.

19 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I can give Rivers the benefit of the doubt, the Chargers failures are obvious.

But like you said, having a good coach, or good supporting cast shouldn't be a knock against a guy.  Brady has had Belichick, Montana had Walsh and Rice, Peyton had Harrison and Wayne, and later a ridiculously good group in Denver.  Even Rodgers had an excellent group of receivers in his peak year, and a top ranked defense in his super bowl year.

1 hour ago, MrnastiesNO said:

Name them.

QB's I'd take over Brees All Time

Brady

Manning

Favre

Elway

Rodgers

Marino

Montana

Staubach

Unitas

Graham

Brees is in a club consisting of Steve Young, Warren Moon, Kurt Warner, Dan Fouts and others. Longevity giving him the gaudy stats over those others in the perfect era for it

57 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Dont discredit Brees like that. It's common knowledge or should be, LAC gave up on Brees after an injury and has spent the last 12+ years looking like idiots because of it because while the Saints have been consistently trolling their division and Brees playing like a Top 5 QB, Rivers has not won the Chargers anything. He is a very good QB, but is also as much part of that teams failures as he is their successes. The Chargers,.imo, made the wrong choice and Rivers simply isnt as good as Brees.

Didn't discredit Brees at all. Maybe stick to your own team if you don't even have basic reading comprehension. Or even the faintest idea of what actually happened in 2005 with Brees and Rivers.

Edited by Xenos

53 minutes ago, MrnastiesNO said:

The Brees has never had a Wr core as good as River starting almost immediately after he left the Chargers.

He had Colston, Cooks, and now Thomas. Rivers had VJ, Floyd, and now Keenan. It's a wash at best.

Edited by Xenos