BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

15 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Even if it didnt lock them, I'm not trying to trade them. They're not in my long term future but are also 2 spots I dont need to get a replacement for in the upcoming season.

I'm allowing myself to be the guru I am, the guru I shouldve been when first arriving but I took an approach initially that isnt my style. Now, I'm going back to my roots.

Be a guru. I guess we have different views on keeping players available for moving. So often in times with trades and such you need to throw bodies in to just balance salaries and such. The more you lock guys down, the less flexibility you have. 

If I made it sound like it was being done wrong, I didn't mean it. Just saying it was an odd way to work that part of the system. If it works it works. 

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Be a guru. I guess we have different views on keeping players available for moving. So often in times with trades and such you need to throw bodies in to just balance salaries and such. The more you lock guys down, the less flexibility you have. 

If I made it sound like it was being done wrong, I didn't mean it. Just saying it was an odd way to work that part of the system. If it works it works. 

And this is a good point as well.

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I got what you're saying, I am just saying those guys are simply "roster fillers" for the season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I don’t think it’s a bad move considering you have a lot of picks this year and some nice picks next year. You are building for the future. Just don’t trade any of your own 2021 picks this draft as those could be high again and you’ll regret it. 

I agree completely. Learned my lesson last time though I still like having Devin Bush and Cody Ford

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Anyone notice I never tried to shop Alualu and never aggressively tried to shop Sean Davis?

If Davis has a poor year next year, it's all good because he will be a FA. If he has a good year and I realize I want to keep him, I 3 Up him. I gave myself that option by double downing him because when the season ends next season, without the DD, I am still on the hook for his final season.

Doing it now forces me to account for that money. I get why you'd wait if you only had like 30k cap space but I had 125k. Theres no reason not to do it now.

Just my opinion.  There's zero reason to do it now besides impatience and not wanting to leave cap space open that he now is taking up anyhow 

He does well he's still under contract 

Maybe you won't have a better three up candidate but then again maybe you sign a guy or two in shark tank that breaks out 

He doesn't do well, you double down him in December or even deal him as a throw in help you finish a deal 

Saying he instead of they for generalities purposes 

14 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Just my opinion.  There's zero reason to do it now besides impatience and not wanting to leave cap space open that he now is taking up anyhow 

He does well he's still under contract 

Maybe you won't have a better three up candidate but then again maybe you sign a guy or two in shark tank that breaks out 

He doesn't do well, you double down him in December or even deal him as a throw in help you finish a deal 

Saying he instead of they for generalities purposes 

I get your logic but forgive me when I tell you that when it comes to me, you're wrong.

Last year I could've double downed a few guys had i not lost track of my cap vs. Waiver claims.

This ensures that wont happen again because that money is already accounted for. For me, in order for Davis to be worth resigning he would have to have an All Pro year. If that's the case then whatever the cost of a 3 Up becomes would be worth it. It had nothing to do with being impatient.