BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

I’m kidding. As soon as the draft thread goes up I’ll pick

Obviously, if you weren't well.....we'll see. 

So who are ya gonna reach for? 

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

My 2013 draft is probably the single worst draft class in the history of BDL.

Congrats. 

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

15k per year for each of them sound about right?

Didn’t we learn this already? Jlash is gonna find a whole different group of 65 players and turn them into a championship caliber team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I suppose if we had a BDL get together and I was a couple beers in I’d talk politics. That’s probably the only time.

Get that out of here.

Agreed but only a couple? Damn. 

2013 Draft Recap:

Chicago Ditkas

1.1 - Dion Jordan

3.14 - Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
5.2 - Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
6.15 - Denard Robinson, WR, Michigan
7.6 - Chris Faulk, OT, LSU

Well this was a disastrous draft for Chicago. They traded up for the first overall pick (I only remember because it was me who traded down) and ended up with Dion Jordan, who was a huge bust. Phillip Thomas and Chris Faulk are names I don't even remember. Denard Robinson never panned out. The saving grace of this draft is getting Mathieu. Looking at the roster, I can see why they went defense heavy out of the gate because their defense was god awful. Not a great draft.

Boston Berserkers

1.2 - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

2.14 - D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
5.3 - DaMontre Moore, EDGE, Texas A&M

A small draft class here from Boston that probably didn't pan out how he wanted. The need at OT was clear for Boston so I can see why he double-dipped. Joeckel just never became the guy most people thought he would be. Fluker has panned out decently as a guard but that's not quite what Boston wanted out of this draft. Moore was a luxury pick as the Boston pass rush was fine. Moore just didn't work out either.

Bhopal Big Cats

1.3 - Sheldon Richardson, INT, Missouri

3.6 - Tank Carradine, EDGE, Florida State
4.16 - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
7.5 - Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State
7.14 - Cornelius Washington, EDGE, Georgia

Another draft where really only one player panned out. Richardson was a great pick at the third overall spot but DT wasn't a huge need for Bhopal. Granted, the first round was pretty much a wasteland so coming out of it with a good player is an absolute win. The rest of the picks never amounted to much. Smith was a needed flier because Bhopal's QB situation was pretty abysmal at the time. They really could've used one of the EDGE guys working out as well.

Berlin Blitzkrieg

1.4 - Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

1.11 - Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
1.12 - Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
2.2 - Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
2.3 - Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
3.1 - Jonathan Hankins, INT, Ohio State
3.3 - Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
4.4 - Giovanni Bernard, RB, North Carolina
4.11 - Trevardo Williams, LB, UConn

SEC! SEC! Boy oh boy was this a rough draft class. Milliner was a huge bust and Warmack was disappointing. Ogletree has a been a decent player but certainly not what Rags was expecting when he took him. Berlin desperately needed WR help so they took the duo of Hunter and Patterson, who proceeded to dominate the league for...no they both busted too. Patterson has found his role in the league but it certainly wasn't as a dynamic, game-changing WR. Rambo hung around for a couple of years but never did much. Funnily it was two non-SEC picks who turned out the best. Hankins has been a great DT since he came into the league and Bernard had a couple of good years in his career. Tough draft for Berlin though with all of those early picks not panning out.

Rhein Fire

1.5 - Shariff Floyd, INT, Florida

2.8 - Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
3.4 - Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
3.5 - D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina
4.2 - Jesse Williams, INT, Alabama
4.7 - Jonathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
4.8 - D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston
4.13 - Margus Hunt, EDGE, SMU
5.15 - Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
6.2 - E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
6.13 - Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio State
7.7 - Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
7.11 - David Quessenberry, OG, San Jose State
7.16 - Jelani Jenkins, LB, Florida

This draft was pretty bad for the most part. In the first three rounds the only one that amounted to anything really was Swearinger and he's had a very inconsistent career. In the fourth round he found two decent journeymen in Hayden and Hunt and then two busts in Williams and Franklin. After that there were no good picks. Except Le'Veon Bell. Getting him in the 7th round  is an absolute steal and probably the best pick in the entire draft. But to have this many picks and end up with so little, even that Bell pick can't save the whole class.

LA Supastars

1.6 - Star Lotulelei, INT, Utah

2.6 - Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
3.16 - Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
6.3 - Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
6.14 - Jordan Reed, TE, Florida

This was my first draft as an owner and I think it's a solid one. Lotulelei certainly never lived up to the 6th overall pick but has been a decent run stuffer. Vaccaro has turned into a good safety. Warford is a stud OG. Poyer has turned into a good backup safety/spot starter. Then there's Reed. If he were healthy he'd probably be my best pick of the draft. All-in-all it looks to be a solid draft but not a spectacular one.

London Monarchs

1.7 - Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

2.7 - Datone Jones, EDGE, UCLA
4.15 - Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame

Small draft for London but they made it count in the first round with Eric Fisher. Jones never really panned out as a pass rusher and Te'o never amounted too much in the pros either.

Gotham Gashslayers

1.8 - Ezekiel Ansah, EDGE, BYU

1.14 - Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
2.5 - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
2.16 - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
3.12 - John Jenkins, INT, Georiga
5.7 - Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin
7.9 - Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana 
7.12 - Brian Schwenke, C, California

This was a really nice draft for Gotham. In a not great first round class they managed to snag two contributors. Eifert in the second was a nice get as well even if he did follow it up with Tavon Austin. To then later get Frederick in the 5th and Alford in the 7th is a nice way to round out a class.

Seoul Dragons

1.9 - Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina

2.10 - Bjoern Werner, EDGE, Florida State
2.11 - Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
3.9 - Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
4.10 - Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State
4.12 - Robert Woods, WR, USC
4.14 - Barrett Jones, C, Alabama
5.10 - Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, UConn
6.11 - Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State

Some bad picks at the top of the draft are saved by some good gets later on. Seoul's first three selections were not great by they followed that up by grabbing three good contributors in Ertz, Slay, and Woods. The back end of the draft didn't work out so well for them either but those three mid-round picks are more than some people got from their whole class.

Cuba Smugglers

1.10 - Jarvis Jones, EDGE, Georgia

1.15 - Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
3.8 - Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
4.5 - Da'Rick Rodgers, WR, Tennessee Tech
6.9 - Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
7.3 - Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M

This was not a great draft for Cuba. Jones was a huge bust and they didn't even get some mild production out of their mid-late rounders. The only saving grace was Trufant at the end of the first. That was a solid pick.

Wichita Coyotes

1.11 - Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

2.13 - Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
5.1 - David Amerson, S, NC State
7.1 - Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M

This was a pretty decent draft. Johnson was a really nice pick in the first. Lacy was ok at the beginning of his career but didn't last very long. Amerson was decent for a while but dropped off. Porter was never anything. One good player and two players who were good for a little bit isn't too bad.

Las Vegas Gamblers

1.16 - DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

4.6 - Will Davis, CB, Utah State
5.16 - Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State

Only three picks, two of whom didn't pan out. The one that did panned out really well. With only 3 players in Las Vegas' class, the Hopkins pick makes it stand out.

Sacramento Gladiators

2.1 - Jonathan Cyprien, S, FIU

3.15 - Keenan Allen, WR, California
4.1 - Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
4.3 - Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
5.5 - Alex Okafor, EDGE, Texas
5.8 - Sio Moore, LB, UConn
6.8 - Corey Lemonier, EDGE, Auburn

I like this draft a good bit for Sacramento. Three of their top 4 picks ended up being good pros in Cyprien, Allen, and Armstead. I'm as dissapointed as anyone that Wheaton didn't work out since he was my guy that year but oh well. Then the last three picks didn't amount to anything but that's just how the late rounds go.

Irish Crusaders

2.4 - Barkevious Mingo, EDGE, LSU

2.12 - Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
3.7 - Sylvester Williams, INT, North Carolina
3.10 - Eric Reid, S, LSU
3.11 - Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
5.9 - Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse
5.11 - Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
5.13 - Jamie Collins, LB, Southern Miss
6.5 - Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
6.6 - J.J. Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern
6.16 - Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
7.13 - Sanders Comming, CB, Georgia
7.15 - Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

As one would expect with 13 picks, there are some hits and some misses in this group. At the top, the first three picks were all misses. After that they went on a string of mostly solid picks with Reid, Kelce, Pugh, Collins, Alonso, and Wilcox all being at least decent contributors all the way to top players at their position.

Camden Hood Rats

2.9 - Kawaan Short, INT, Purdue

3.2 - Matt Elam, S, Florida
3.13 - Kyle Long, G, Oregon
4.9 - Khaseem Greene, EDGE, Rutgers
5.4 - Dallas Thomas, G, Tennessee
5.12 - Brandon Williams, INT, Missouri Southern
5.14 - Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
6.4 - Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
6.7 - Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
6.12 - Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
7.2 - Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse

This was a really nice draft from Camden. They got some nice players at the top of the draft and then got some gems in the mid-late rounds as well. They got some help in the trenches with Short and Long at the top of the draft even though they did whiff on Elam. Then later on they also added solid contributors like Brandon Williams, Logan Ryan, and Vance McDonald. Two nice starters and some solid players is a nice draft.

Auckland Aces

2.15 - Jonathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State

5.6 - Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
6.1 - Bennie Logan, INT, LSU
6.10 - Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
7.4 - Matt Barkley, QB, USC
7.8 - Sam Montgomery, EDGE, LSU
7.10 - Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State

Wow, this draft is about as bad as Berlin's. They didn't get a single contributor in this class. The only thing that I think makes it better than Berlin's is the fact that they only had one pick in the first four rounds so their misses weren't nearly as bad. Still, woof.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rackcs said:

My county's online learning solution is a total **** show and so I'm stuck doing nothing right now. Think I'll go back through and review some of these drafts.

What grade level?