The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

Just now, dll2000 said:

More picks but less chance you get a guy you have targeted.  When I draft I would have a short list of guys I really want and work to acquire them and another list of guys I would take flyers on because of this or that trait or production.   

There are only so many good players in any draft.  Most of it is cannon fodder. 

I don’t disagree but my list of guys I’ve targeted in that 45-70 range thus year is reasonably large and includes several safeties, several OL across all positions, a few CBs and a handful of WR. I’m pretty confident with small trade downs like these I’m still getting those guys, and from there it’s about volume with the flyer/traits guys. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t disagree but my list of guys I’ve targeted in that 45-70 range thus year is reasonably large and includes several safeties, several OL across all positions, a few CBs and a handful of WR. I’m pretty confident with small trade downs like these I’m still getting those guys, and from there it’s about volume with the flyer/traits guys. 

If you feel like the guy you want is going to go lower than where you are drafting then absolutely trade down.  A worthy gamble. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

If you feel like the guy you want is going to go lower than where you are drafting then absolutely trade down.  A worthy gamble. 

For sure. For me for example at safety I see Duggar and Chinn both very similarly and also like Brandon Jones as a good fit who can probably be had in round 3 or maybe 4. I’d be fine with Terrell Burgess there too. TBH I’m not convinced any safeties are off the board by 43, as those I generally assume are gone by 43 (McKinney and Delpit) both have some significant questions too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Bumping back up here. Can anyone realistically see a situation where we don’t trade back at least once in round 2? No matter how I look at this thing I just can’t see it, and frankly, I’m inclined to trade back twice. Trade downs from each of 43 and 50 a half dozen or so slots probably lands us a pair of 4th rounders we desperately need, with us hypothetically going from 43-50-163 to something like 49-60-129-135-163 at the top of our draft. I think the level of player we get at 49 and 60 is essentially the same as what we’d get at 43 and 50. Here’s what I got from that using the PFN mock draft simulator:

49 CB Damon Arnette Ohio St

60 S Jeremy Chinn SIU

129 WR John Hightower Boise St

135 OT Hakeem Adeniji Kansas

163 LB Cameron Brown PSU

196 OG Jon Runyan Michigan

200 EDGE James Smith-Williams NC St

226 EDGE Tipa Galea’i UT St

233 RB Darius Anderson TCU

I can totally see where you are coming from with the need for defensive players AZ...we have major holes depth wise on that side of the ball...I can see us using higher picks to add some quality on offence but those later picks have to be used to try and develop some depth on defence.

I don't know that there's a pat answer for how to run a draft.  Each draft class is different than the previous ones.

Normally I would look to get my guy or guys so quality over quantity.  But if there are multiple players who I can use who are slated to go in rounds 2-4 then maybe I do whatever I can to add picks in those rounds even trading future picks if needed especially if it's a draft that's very strong at certain positions I need rookies to come in and fill.

The problem is we as fans don't really have the data we need to make a call on whether the 2020 OL class is head and shoulders above what the 2021 class will be like.  Or any other position for that matter.  That's where each teams scouting staff has to make a call and advise.  Trading down and missing a prime guy can be risky.

For year we watched Angelo trade away higher picks to add more shots at success and in most cases he failed miserably.  He drafted much better before he began doing that.  So I'm neither for or opposed to trading down for more picks without more information to make a decision from.  If you do it though you better be more right than wrong.

Edited by soulman

Originally posted on Pro Football Rumors
By Marc Delucchi  |  Last updated 3/29/20

While it is obviously a low priority in the grand scheme of things, the limitations on travel and physical contact have come at an inopportune time for draft prospects and team decision-makers. With the draft still on schedule to take place at the end of April, prospects would normally be traveling around the country to team facilities to conduct in-person workouts, interviews, and physicals. Now that the league has pretty much suspended outside visits, teams are going to have to get creative.

Under unusual circumstances, the NFL is allowing teams to virtually contact an unlimited number of prospects, at most, three times per week, for one hour, according to Mike Florio of ProFootball Talk. So agents will surely be making sure their clients have the most updated version of Skype and Zoom.

Combine interviews are most notorious for puzzles and mind games that teams will play on prospects. It will be interesting to see if since teams are unable to run prospects through physical workouts more stories begin emerging about creative and unusual ways that some teams might try to use these virtual contact meetings to gauge characteristics in prospects.

FWIW here's a CB the Bears have shown an interest in.  All prospect meetings are held via Face Time.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kristian-fulton?id=32194655-4c73-3491-274a-7b3b8a1d4f92

Overview

Press-man cornerback whose 40 percent rate of completion as an LSU Tiger may not tell the entire story as an NFL prospect. Fulton has good size and is usually searching to make plays on the football. He plays with decent eye balance in off-coverage but can be a tad late with response time. Once he gets behind he tends to stay behind against multi-breaking routes and his long speed and recovery burst are below average. Fulton showed improvement throughout the year, but his confidence has been an issue at times. When the pros and cons are balanced, he appears to be a good backup with a chance to work up the ladder.

Kristian Fulton

Kristian Fulton

LSU
DB09

Prospect Info

College
LSU
Hometown
Class
New Orleans, LA
Senior

Height
Weight
Arms
6' 0"
197 lbs
30 5/8”
Hands
9 1/8”

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Do you think we're looking for a certain type of CB? I'd thought so when playing mock draft, and prioritized tight coverage over ball skills, thinking with Eddie and Kyle back there it made sense to force QB to throw their way

The skill set advertised in his overview along with his size and other measurable would compare him at least somewhat to Amukamara.

So in that regard he may be that "certain type" of CB but I also see some negatives defined that say he may not be a guy you want to spend a high 2nd round pick on vs a player at another position who ranks higher.  Guys like him could fall a round or two where they become excellent value and we all know how much Pace likes to make draft day trades for more picks if he can get some so.......

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Of guys I have seen and would be available in later rounds that I like for Bears I can only identify two so far:

1) Matt Peart OT Uconn  (CBS ranked 100)

2) Cheyenne O’Grady (CBS 152)

I am struggling for later round guys to really get behind this year as well.

• Like 1