The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

My suspicion is that we will be looking to the FA market for a back to supplement what we get from Montgomery. Devonta Freeman would make a lot of sense to me as an experienced backup. I think we probably draft a guy late too to be that longer term RB2. I don’t see anything worth building around with Ryan Nall. 

To bad we lost Kerrith Whyte last year.  He was nearly an ideal speed back so it may have been foolish to leave him exposed on the PS.

I believe Nall could be productive but he's pretty much a "gets what's blocked" kind of back.  If we could convert him into playing as an all purpose HBack type he might still be useful but we still need a faster change of pace back to compliment Monty and Cohen isn't it.  JMHO

• Like 3

On 3/19/2020 at 6:09 PM, beardown3231 said:

I believe the record is now Bryan Anger in round 3. I don't remember what pick he was, but I remember JAX took him over Russell Wilson. I'm surprised it wasn't set by Al Davis :D

How can you forget the Bears used a 2nd on Todd Sauerbrun lol

• Like 3

Bumping back up here. Can anyone realistically see a situation where we don’t trade back at least once in round 2? No matter how I look at this thing I just can’t see it, and frankly, I’m inclined to trade back twice. Trade downs from each of 43 and 50 a half dozen or so slots probably lands us a pair of 4th rounders we desperately need, with us hypothetically going from 43-50-163 to something like 49-60-129-135-163 at the top of our draft. I think the level of player we get at 49 and 60 is essentially the same as what we’d get at 43 and 50. Here’s what I got from that using the PFN mock draft simulator:

49 CB Damon Arnette Ohio St

60 S Jeremy Chinn SIU

129 WR John Hightower Boise St

135 OT Hakeem Adeniji Kansas

163 LB Cameron Brown PSU

196 OG Jon Runyan Michigan

200 EDGE James Smith-Williams NC St

226 EDGE Tipa Galea’i UT St

233 RB Darius Anderson TCU

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Bumping back up here. Can anyone realistically see a situation where we don’t trade back at least once in round 2? No matter how I look at this thing I just can’t see it, and frankly, I’m inclined to trade back twice. Trade downs from each of 43 and 50 a half dozen or so slots probably lands us a pair of 4th rounders we desperately need, with us hypothetically going from 43-50-163 to something like 49-60-129-135-163 at the top of our draft. I think the level of player we get at 49 and 60 is essentially the same as what we’d get at 43 and 50. Here’s what I got from that using the PFN mock draft simulator:

60 S Jeremy Chinn SIU

163 LB Cameron Brown PSU

I can't spend that much more on defense.

We already made major investments in a unit that was already the strength of the team.

Pick 1 DB, okay, pick 2 and ignore the OL or push WR back even more doesn't do enough for the defense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

60 S Jeremy Chinn SIU

163 LB Cameron Brown PSU

Love Chinn but Arnette is probably overdoing it. If they're gonna go D again at 49, then take another pass rusher. I'd rather have a good front 7 than a good secondary. 

Take iOL at 49 and then take a CB at 135 and OT at 196.

Chicago Bears NFL Draft: Second-round interior OL options

We identify some second-round offensive line options for the Chicago Bears in the upcoming NFL Draft.

We are more than 10 days from the start of the “legal tampering period” otherwise known as the unofficial start to NFL free agency, and the Chicago Bears‘ plan is starting to take shape. They put the majority of their limited resources into the quarterback, tight end, and edge rusher positions.

One other significant need that has gone largely unaddressed is interior offensive linemen. While the Bears did just sign Germain Ifedi, formerly of the Seattle Seahawks, he would need to move from his tackle position to fill the team’s need at right guard. Of course, he may, but he was not particularly effective as a tackle and may be nothing more than depth for next year.

Either way, the Bears should be looking to draft an interior lineman with one of their two second-round picks in this year’s draft to fill an immediate need next season. And these are three candidates who would be terrific picks.

John Simpson

Do you like your offensive linemen with a bit of a nasty streak to them? Well, then you’ll probably like John Simpson, from Clemson University. He is a stout and incredibly powerful lineman who played left guard for the Tigers, starting all but one game over his final two seasons.

He seems to enjoy eviscerating and bullying opponents, in a way that harkens back to old school football. He could definitely inject a little bit of edge to the offensive line that will be lacking after Kyle Long’s departure.

Jonah Jackson

A player who hasn’t been linked to the Bears in many mock drafts, but would be a tremendous addition is Ohio State’s Jonah Jackson. At 6-foot-4, 310 pounds he has some room to put on some weight, but not too much, as he does not want to lose the quickness that is widely seen as one of his biggest strengths.

He is quick and light on his feet, but still very powerful for his size. He has a tremendous motor and is someone who plays through the whistle. In his final year at Ohio State, he really improved his skills as a run blocker and would bring a well-balanced game to the Bears if selected.

Lloyd Cushenberry

Saving my favorite option for last, Lloyd Cushenberry should be available when the Bears made their second-round picks, and they would be wise to snag him as quickly as possible. We’ll get to his on-the-field play in a moment, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Cushenberry is a high character player who would be a terrific culture fit with the Bears.

In fact, the LSU Tigers traditionally give jersey number 18 to the player on the team who displays a selfless attitude and embodies what it means to be an LSU Tiger. Well, this past season, Cushenberry was the first lineman to enjoy that honor.

But he is also an awesome talent on the field. He’s equally adept in both the run and pass game and is someone who could conceivably step into the starting role from Week 1. While he projects better as a guard in the NFL, he played center in college. This gives him the positional flexibility that Ryan Pace seems to covet as well, as both Cody Whitehair and James Daniels can play both guard and center.

The OL isn't going to get better unless we invest in it. Right now we have no difference making players at that position, it is the only one on the team, other than TE, where we do not have a legit player.

DL: Hicks and Goldman

LB: Smith, Mack, Quinn

DB: Jackson, Fuller

WR: Robinson

@WindyCity @beardown3231 I took the approach of targeting starters in the example draft. Namely, we probably have them already at WR, OL and EDGE. I also have us taking 2 guys who I think could start for us in 2021 or maybe even sooner on the OL in rounds 4 and 5 here so I wouldn’t say I ignored it. I personally think Runyan would push Ifedi quickly at RG. Our WR need us one for speed, and in my example draft (which was just a 2-minute thrown together example) the speed WR in the round 2 window were already gone by then.

Put together what you’d like as far as a mock goes - the point I was making was that 2 small trade downs in round 2 would open up a world of possibilities for our draft without sacrificing a lot of anything in terms of quality at the top. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

@WindyCity @beardown3231 I took the approach of targeting starters in the example draft. Namely, we probably have them already at WR, OL and EDGE. I also have us taking 2 guys who I think could start for us in 2021 or maybe even sooner on the OL in rounds 4 and 5 here so I wouldn’t say I ignored it. I personally think Runyan would push Ifedi quickly at RG. Our WR need us one for speed, and in my example draft (which was just a 2-minute thrown together example) the speed WR in the round 2 window were already gone by then.

Put together what you’d like as far as a mock goes - the point I was making was that 2 small trade downs in round 2 would open up a world of possibilities for our draft without sacrificing a lot of anything in terms of quality at the top. 

I have more faith in Toliver than Ifedi.

I think it is time to make serious talent upgrades an investment in the line. It has killed us as much as the QB play. If you want to get the most from an average QB which we have been blessed with we need line that isn't just surviving.

Deep draft for OL, I think you get someone in the 2nd that could quickly be the best player on the line.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have more faith in Toliver than Ifedi.

I think it is time to make serious talent upgrades an investment in the line. It has killed us as much as the QB play. If you want to get the most from an average QB which we have been blessed with we need line that isn't just surviving.

Deep draft for OL, I think you get someone in the 2nd that could quickly be the best player on the line.

I’m not opposed to it at all - this was just one example. With that, I think the ceiling on some of the OG candidates further down the draft is just as high as some of the guys in round 2-3. 

I think Toliver is JAG, which in and of itself is fine but I think Arnette has a HUGE ceiling both outside and at NB (where Skrine can be gone after 2020 for nothing). Getting a premium player at CB on a rookie deal for multiple years is a coup, especially given what we are paying Fuller and Jackson. Getting 2 solid starters in the secondary (which I think both Arnette and Chinn would be quickly) on 4 years of rookie deals during all of the expensive parts of Fuller and Jackson opens the budget up elsewhere significantly. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not opposed to it at all - this was just one example. With that, I think the ceiling on some of the OG candidates further down the draft is just as high as some of the guys in round 2-3. 

I think Toliver is JAG, which in and of itself is fine but I think Arnette has a HUGE ceiling both outside and at NB (where Skrine can be gone after 2020 for nothing). Getting a premium player at CB on a rookie deal for multiple years is a coup, especially given what we are paying Fuller and Jackson. Getting 2 solid starters in the secondary (which I think both Arnette and Chinn would be quickly) on 4 years of rookie deals during all of the expensive parts of Fuller and Jackson opens the budget up elsewhere significantly. 

It would free money up, but we have no chance to spend it in 2020.

The offense has to take a big step this season and we have done little of substance to actually upgrade a really bad unit.

20 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

60 S Jeremy Chinn SIU

163 LB Cameron Brown PSU

More picks but less chance you get a guy you have targeted.  When I draft I would have a short list of guys I really want and work to acquire them and another list of guys I would take flyers on because of this or that trait or production.   

There are only so many good players in any draft.  Most of it is cannon fodder. 

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

More picks but less chance you get a guy you have targeted.  When I draft I would have a short list of guys I really want and work to acquire them and another list of guys I would take flyers on because of this or that trait or production.   

There are only so many good players in any draft.  Most of it is cannon fodder. 

PFF says that nobody drafts well so better strategy is multiply your picks.  Ego tells you you can draft well.

I don’t buy into that.   There is good evaluation, but you are dealing with humans and humans are imperfect.   And injuries are unpredictable. 

I would rather identify guys I like and go after them.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1