The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Moss plus a late 3rd would have me excited. His blocking at a minimum would be an incredible upgrade to the run game.

Shaheen was a run game sabatour.

In my mind I’m envisioning our pick at 50 turning into Moss and a guard like Bredeson or Lewis with a trade down, with Uche or Baun or a WR. I’m partial to Aiyuk because of his size/speed but like Reagor a whole lot too. A dark horse guy for me at 43 (because I’m not sure he’ll be there) is Laviska Shenault. He’s not a burner like Aiyuk or Reagor but I get a big Deebo Samuel feel when I watch him. 

Dammit I’m gonna talk myself into doing another mock draft now... 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

In my mind I’m envisioning our pick at 50 turning into Moss and a guard like Bredeson or Lewis with a trade down, with Uche or Baun or a WR. I’m partial to Aiyuk because of his size/speed but like Reagor a whole lot too. A dark horse guy for me at 43 (because I’m not sure he’ll be there) is Laviska Shenault. He’s not a burner like Aiyuk or Reagor but I get a big Deebo Samuel feel when I watch him. 

No KJ Hamler?

I don't think Moss is a good pick in round 2. I think he might be there in the 4th or 5th.

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I keep thinking that we could end up with WR and OT in round 2. Neither is the most pressing need, but the incredible depth of the classes could dictate we have to pick them.

Just now, beardown3231 said:

No KJ Hamler?

I don't think Moss is a good pick in round 2. I think he might be there in the 4th or 5th.

50 is rich unless he flashes better athletic tools at the combine.

I do not think he sniffs round 4 or 5 he is just to good a blocker and has really good hands.

52 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

No KJ Hamler?

My biggest concern with Hamler is his size. PSU lists him at 5-9 176 and my concern is that he’s gonna be 5-8 or less, and I’ve kinda had my fill of super short receivers being guys I’m counting on to start on the outside. I think we are set at X and in the slot with ARob and Miller. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

My biggest concern with Hamler is his size. PSU lists him at 5-9 176 and my concern is that he’s gonna be 5-8 or less, and I’ve kinda had my fill of super short receivers being guys I’m counting on to start on the outside. I think we are set at X and in the slot with ARob and Miller. 

That's fair. I just look at it from the perspective of the Bears need speed badly and when they eventually lose Cohen, Hamler can be a devastating PR. He reminds me a lot of Desean Jackson and I think if it gets to that ceiling, he'd be a huge piece for the offense.

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

That's fair. I just look at it from the perspective of the Bears need speed badly and when they eventually lose Cohen, Hamler can be a devastating PR. He reminds me a lot of Desean Jackson and I think if it gets to that ceiling, he'd be a huge piece for the offense.

We definitely need that element in the offense. I personally see he, Reagor and Aiyuk all being ranked very similarly and all having that same skill set, with Reagor (5-11) and Aiyuk (6-0) both having more size. All would be nice additions but Hamler is 3rd there for me of the three. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our draft thread is kinda dead.  Not having a first round pick for a couple of years dampens excitement.

I watched a bit of some TEs last night.

Saw some of Kmet day before.  He looks like a career back up to me, but still better than our guys.   Though I think Horstead has good receiving potential, but is still a project.   

Two guys I like on film are Hunter Bryant of Washington.  Good hands, good routes, just okay blocking - overall just talented.  

Second guy who is just as good and maybe a bit better overall, but who should fall quite a bit I like is Arkansas’s CJ O’Grady.  Kind of just fell into him, since there is nothing on him as one of top prospects in places I was looking.  

CJ is bigger than Bryant and most of TEs, is faster on grass then he times, is a willing blocker, runs good routes and has real good natural hands.  His big knock is he is a discipline problem or a possible head case.  Which means Pace probably won’t want him.  I read that after AL game which was a blow out he said he was sore and said he didn’t want to play next game and was ‘making excuses’ then coach booted him off team.   He says that was old him.  

I think this is a guy you take a chance on.  Kids are stupid.  I was stupid.  Some stay stupid.  You don’t want too many of these guys, but I think you have to have some because you to take chances on talent from time to time.   KC does not win a SB without Tyreek Hill even with the great Mahomes.   Key is not to have too many where they can influence each other and form attitude solidarity teams playing off one another negatively.   

You can get this guy in mid to late rounds, heck he may be off many boards, and I think he is one of maybe just 3 guys in this class that can be good at TE in NFL.  

CJ is a guy I would target, but Bears won’t so I don’t know why I am writing about him.  Maybe for a future told you so. 

Four possible targets for the Bears at four positions of need.

Prospects that impressed at the NFL Scouting Combine that the Bears could target in the NFL Draft:

S Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois

usatsi_14125859.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

Jeremy Chinn had already put himself on most teams’ radar during the Senior Bowl, but it was his NFL Combine performance that really set him apart. His measurements were impressive — 41-inch vertical jump, 116-inch broad jump and his 4.45 40-yard dash, all of which ranked in the top three among safeties. And he was equally as impressive during on-field drills.

The Bears are looking for a safety to line-up opposite Eddie Jackson, and Chinn could fit in well in that strong safety role. Chinn was believed to be a sixth-round prospect, but his stock certainly has risen after a strong NFL Combine performance.

QB James Morgan, Florida International

usatsi_14108084.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

While Morgan’s measurements weren’t anything to write home about — 4.89 40-time, 29-inch vertical jump and 112-inch broad jump — it was his arm strength, size and leadership skills that endeared him to several teams in attendance at the NFL Combine, the Bears included.

Given the Bears are looking to address the quarterback position this offseason, there’s a good chance they bring in both an experienced veteran quarterback and a young prospect to groom behind Mitchell Trubisky. Morgan is a solid prospect Chicago could target on Day 3.

TE Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic

usatsi_14094784.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

Bryant is being hailed as one of the top tight end prospects in this draft, and he showed why with an impressive NFL Combine performance. Bryant ran a 4.73 40-time, but it was during on-field drills where he showed his potential with his ability to adjust to throws, his strong hands and his ability to push the blocking sled.

The Bears are all-in on upgrading the tight end position this offseason. While they’re likely going to add a veteran through free agency — word is they’re interested in Austin Hooper — it also sounds like they’ll be looking to bring in a young prospect through the NFL Draft. Bryant would fit well in a Matt Nagy offense with his versatile receiver skills.

OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise State

usatsi_14099621.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

Cleveland certainly helped his draft stock with an impressive NFL Combine performance, which included a 4.93 40-time with a 1.73 10-yard split and 7.26-second three-cone, which ranked best among offensive linemen. But like many on this list, Cleveland also gave teams something to think about following his on-field drills.

This offensive tackle class is too deep for the Bears to not take advantage. While they’re essentially locked up with their tackles Charles Leno and Bobby Massie in 2020, Chicago can build toward the future with an impressive prospect like Cleveland, who could project to be a second-rounder after his performance.

To me combine is just to see if guys meet minimum athletic and size/weight/height qualifications. 

I could care less about the position drills.  Virtually meaningless.  

Highlight tapes are virtually meaningless too.   You have to watch the VS. games and watch them against different teams to get a feel for a player.

Like a highlight for a TE or WR is all catches.  Nice to watch for a minute as you can see what they can do at their best.  But I want to see them block.  I want to see their effort and hustle.  I want to see if they are getting open and not getting targeted on non highlight plays.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Our draft thread is kinda dead.  Not having a first round pick for a couple of years dampens excitement.

Big time, and we have so many holes I just don't have the energy to deep dive into THAT many prospects.

Once FA hits and we make some moves I think the draft targets will clear up (in my mind at least) and I know I'll be a lot more active then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

To me combine is just to see if guys meet minimum athletic and size/weight/height qualifications. 

I could care less about the position drills.  Virtually meaningless.  

Highlight tapes are virtually meaningless too.   You have to watch the VS. games and watch them against different teams to get a feel for a player.

Like a highlight for a TE or WR is all catches.  Nice to watch for a minute as you can see what they can do at their best.  But I want to see them block.  I want to see their effort and hustle.  I want to see if they are getting open and not getting targeted on non highlight plays.   

Without an opportunity to actually see each of these guys in game action the best we have are the synopsis and analysis done by the various scouting sources and the NFL itself.  VERY generally speaking we can sometimes get a consensus from that from which to form an opinion.  That and how they're graded as to their NFL readiness and upside potential.  It's all just educated guesses for us.

9 minutes ago, soulman said:

Without an opportunity to actually see each of these guys in game action the best we have are the synopsis and analysis done by the various scouting sources and the NFL itself.  VERY generally speaking we can sometimes get a consensus from that from which to form an opinion.  That and how they're graded as to their NFL readiness and upside potential.  It's all just educated guesses for us.

No.  There is YouTube.  Type guys name and then VS.  A lot of time some helpful soul will have even highlighted him for you so he is easy to find on each play.

So 'Joe Blow vs.' and then you find 3 or 4 games of his usually.  

Or you can rely on 'scouts'.  Their talent and opinions vary wildly.   Just like here.  LOL. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:16 PM, beardown3231 said:

No KJ Hamler?

Can't we get the same kind of use out of Cohen that we would out of a guy like Hamler?

If I'm spending a 2nd on a WR, I want a guy who is as close to the full package. A guy with decent size, good speed and route running ability and who is also a willing blocker.

Best thing about combine from a team perspective is the 1) medicals and 2) interviews.

Interviews are the biggest things we as amateur scouts miss.  That and ability to talk to their college and high school coaches.  A coach just spend 100s of practices and dozens of games with this guy.   That is invaluable information that no coach is going to put on the record (if its bad), but will tell you one coach to another verbally.   

Also you can eyeball someone.  People carry their weight differently and colleges often lie about height, weight, size.  

Then you just want the athleticism to confirm what you are seeing on film.  Or not be too off.

HS coaches were stupid never to ask me about kids I coached.  It would have saved them a lot of trial and error.  You live with these kids for 4 months sometimes for several years in a row you really get to know them.  

I always asked about kids from their previous coaches if they were available.  You start with a clean slate every year with children, but you get an idea what they were like the year before with this set of guys.   

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1