Free Agent Tracker: News and Notes

.Buzz

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best-available-nfl-free-agents-in-2020

As far as top guys, I'd say Hooper, Henry, Reader, Hargrave, and Littleton.

After that, Pierce, Shelby Harris, Ebron, Martinez, Jarran Reed, Glasgow, Fuller, and Brockers seem interesting.

I will say the statistics PFF references regarding Hooper's production worries me. Think Henry is the clear better option between the two, but Hooper's health is less worrisome. 

Edit: FWIW, from the sounds of it LAC is probably putting the transition tag and matching an offer on Henry so he's unlikely. But man would he be perfect...the guy when healthy can be on that Kelce/Kittle tier, imo.

Edited by .Buzz

Even if we were to cut just Dareus and the obvious guys (Lee, Swaim, etc.) that'd open up enough to sign 1-2 rock solid guys. Maybe not the Chris Jones's of the world, but guys like Hooper, Harris, Pierce, Martinez, etc.

There's word with Calais that they talked about potentially extending him and in which would lessen his cap hit as well. That's super intriguing if we decide to keep him. 

Cutting Norwell with the cap savings just doesn't make sense. It's only $5.5 you open up and the likelihood of you upgrading what he is (he still is a solid guard, just not elite like we're paying him) with that amount I'd say is low. Cann is the guy that we really need to focus on upgrading on.

Edited by .Buzz

On 28/01/2020 at 6:23 PM, .Buzz said:

Even if we were to cut just Dareus and the obvious guys (Lee, Swaim, etc.) that'd open up enough to sign 1-2 rock solid guys. Maybe not the Chris Jones's of the world, but guys like Hooper, Harris, Pierce, Martinez, etc.

There's word with Calais that they talked about potentially extending him and in which would lessen his cap hit as well. That's super intriguing if we decide to keep him. 

Cutting Norwell with the cap savings just doesn't make sense. It's only $5.5 you open up and the likelihood of you upgrading what he is (he still is a solid guard, just not elite like we're paying him) with that amount I'd say is low. Cann is the guy that we really need to focus on upgrading on.

The upgrade that matters most...is if you can fix the edges of the OLine.  Work outside in.

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing to circulate (although a lot mentioning Oesher thinking he will be) that Bouye will be cut.

Should have 35-40 available, even after taking into account rookies.

Sounding more promising on Yan front as well. Can easily structure him as well as 1-2 really solid FA's to low cap hits year one. Should be able to fill a few holes.

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Man i just dont like cutting Bouye. 

I'm with you in the mind of knowing he is a solid corner, but he's being paid like a top 5 corner right now and he hasn't been close to that in 2018 or 2019.

Think you can either sign a guy of what he's played like for much cheaper or draft a guy in the first few rounds and be fine. Bouye got burned by #1's minus his former teammate Hopkins who he always seemed to play good against. Think Herndon/FA/rookie can do that while not being paid $15M a year.

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm with you in the mind of knowing he is a solid corner, but he's being paid like a top 5 corner right now and he hasn't been close to that in 2018 or 2019.

Think you can either sign a guy of what he's played like for much cheaper or draft a guy in the first few rounds and be fine. Bouye got burned by #1's minus his former teammate Hopkins who he always seemed to play good against. Think Herndon/FA/rookie can do that while not being paid $15M a year.

We all know the open market is going to be overpriced all day. Losing our top 2 CBs and somehow finding someone as good as AJ  isn’t that easy. Its not like he’s average, he’s just overpaid 

2 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Bouye stunk last season and is overpaid. 

Exactly.

Doesn't matter if he's our top corner if he's extremely average and making the money of an elite corner.

Can find someone that does what he has done for much less than his 12M cap hit even with an overpriced FA...or even get a rookie. Herndon proved to be very solid.

Edited by .Buzz

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2020 at 9:23 AM, .Buzz said:

Yeah.  I haven't dug into it as deeply as usual at this point, but it does feel like a weak TE class in the draft.  Don't see the "plug 'n play" studs like Hockenson this year.  Especially considering TE is one of those positions that tends to have a bit of an incubation period in general, when jumping to the NFL level and making an impact.  Probably are going to have to fix it in FA.  I'm just not a huge fan of most of the options though, so it's a bit scary.  Some of these guys are going to get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpaid, precisely because it's a kinda weak looking TE draft class...and in a copycat league, the two teams in the SuperBowl just had dominant TEs playing prominent roles around which their offense is kinda built.  So everyone and their mother is going to be shopping for TEs on the FA market this offseason.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I haven't dug into it as deeply as usual at this point, but it does feel like a weak TE class in the draft.  Don't see the "plug 'n play" studs like Hockenson this year.  Especially considering TE is one of those positions that tends to have a bit of an incubation period in general, when jumping to the NFL level and making an impact.  Probably are going to have to fix it in FA.  I'm just not a huge fan of most of the options though, so it's a bit scary.  Some of these guys are going to get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpaid, precisely because it's a kinda weak looking TE draft class...and in a copycat league, the two teams in the SuperBowl just had dominant TEs playing prominent roles around which their offense is kinda built.  So everyone and their mother is going to be shopping for TEs on the FA market this offseason.

I've went from wanting Hooper to wanting to stay away.

Give me Henry or Ebron.

Draft has some guys, just no clear cut obvious stud. I think there will be some gems found in the mid rounds though...some very intriguing names.

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I've went from wanting Hooper to wanting to stay away.

Give me Henry or Ebron.

Draft has some guys, just no clear cut obvious stud. I think there will be some gems found in the mid rounds though...some very intriguing names.

Yeah.  There looks like some depth to the TE draft class.  Guys with potential down the line.  Just nobody who is going to come in and make a difference year 1 for us.  Where we desperately need an impact TE.

Ebron scares the crap out of me because he's been complete garbage outside of one little hot stint where he found some chemistry or something.  And Henry scares me because he doesn't even really play, so much as get injured and collect paycheques.  And Hooper is basically a byproduct of a team that has a cornucopia of weapons around him, where he's almost the least concerning among them.  It's just a super sketchy TE situation, and not a year i'd want to be searching for a solution anywhere.  But here we are...

Edited by Tugboat