• CB Jeff Okudah
    • OT Andrew Thomas
    • LB Isaiah Simmons
    • OT Tristan Wirfs
    • WR CeeDee Lamb
    • Other [Specify]
    • [[Leave Blank]]

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

While I agree with that sentiment, I could see Jacksonville going in a variety of ways. They have a ton of holes and I could see them taking any position other than RB (not a need), WR (not a need), and TE (no value in R1).

WR is def a need. It's Chark and a bunch of "guys".

I'd prefer not to take one top 10 unless the value is too good/other targets are gone, but we definitely need someone opposite Chark.

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Wow. That's a high mark! I haven't seen him dominate in the run game, but I need to watch more tape. I'll dig in tonight.

I'm probably  a little brainwashed since @Counselor is even more of a Georgia fan (but to be fair, he's been right on the big calls for Bulldog players he's made), but I was so interested in Swift & Fromm with Lock on IR, that I watched about 7-8 Georgia games.  The first thing I said was "who the hell is that LT"?   He's been really impressive.    Then when you add in the 2 big other parts in my prospect evaluation that are more metric-oriented to guard against competition/SSS bias - success against elite competition, and early success - Thomas was a starting RT as a freshman (and made the All-Freshman SEC), and all-SEC and All-American as a LT in his sophomore season.  And again, this was in the SEC - other than the Big10, can't think of a meat-grinder gauntlet to put a kid in.

Tools?  Check (footwork and bend are just out of this world for his size)

Film?  Check

Track record against elite competition?   Check

Success as a young player?  Double check 

He'll probably now bust out now (LOL), but I can't think of a better combo - fits the metrics, old-school tape and likely is going to impress at the Combine.  Again, I really think he's the best overall prospect in this draft.   I was actually hoping DEN would pick top 5, and grab him.   Now watch the Chargers might grab him and dominate my soul for the next 6-10 years.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'm probably  a little brainwashed since @Counselor is even more of a Georgia fan (but to be fair, he's been right on the big calls for Bulldog players he's made), but I was so interested in Swift & Fromm with Lock on IR, that I watched about 7-8 Georgia games.  The first thing I said was "who the hell is that LT"?   He's been really impressive.    Then when you add in the 2 big other parts in my prospect evaluation that are more metric-oriented to guard against competition/SSS bias - success against elite competition, and early success - Thomas was a starting RT as a freshman (and made the All-Freshman SEC), and all-SEC and All-American as a LT in his sophomore season.  And again, this was in the SEC - other than the Big10, can't think of a meat-grinder gauntlet to put a kid in.

Film?  Check

He'll probably now bust out now (LOL), but I can't think of a better combo - fits the metrics, old-school tape and likely is going to impress at the Combine.  Again, I really think he's the best overall prospect in this draft. 

He’s a stud for sure. He is well balanced. Gets sloppy in technique once in a great while. But he is consistently a gamer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Film?  Check

He'll probably now bust out now (LOL), but I can't think of a better combo - fits the metrics, old-school tape and likely is going to impress at the Combine.  Again, I really think he's the best overall prospect in this draft.   I was actually hoping DEN would pick top 5, and grab him.   Now watch the Chargers might grab him and dominate my soul for the next 6-10 years.

This is making me hope he falls to 9.

Wishful thinking probably but...

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

@Counselorand @Broncofan Would you say you largely agree with Reid's evaluation of him: https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/andrew-thomas/eGlH3R2cHb

I think he’s a bit better than what Reid states and I think it’s a little hedging bets there with reluctance to go all in on him. I want to see how he tests athletically because he isn’t the athlete of a Tyron Smith but he isn’t a slouch either.

• Like 1

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

I figured between Conley, Cole, and Lee you had #2 WR covered.

Lee is probably getting cut. The talent is there but he is way too injury prone.

I love Cole, but for some reason after his rookie year he got put in the doghouse. He came on super strong and showed those flashes the last few games so I hope he can he a key cog next year, but no way can you go into the season expecting it.

Conley is a guy you want as a #4 ideally. He had a solid year but the group as a hole just didn't get it done. Defenses started keying in on Chark and no one took advantage of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Lee is probably getting cut. The talent is there but he is way too injury prone.

I love Cole, but for some reason after his rookie year he got put in the doghouse. He came on super strong and showed those flashes the last few games so I hope he can he a key cog next year, but no way can you go into the season expecting it.

Conley is a guy you want as a #4 ideally. He had a solid year but the group as a hole just didn't get it done. Defenses started keying in on Chark and no one took advantage of it.

Do you think the coaches/front office is going to give Minshew more time?

22 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I think he’s a bit better than what Reid states and I think it’s a little hedging bets there with reluctance to go all in on him. I want to see how he tests athletically because he isn’t the athlete of a Tyron Smith but he isn’t a slouch either.

What's interesting is they see him as a mauler, who might have trouble with speed.  I saw a guy who was a wall against Auburn's other guys, who aren't cupcakes (Brown vs. Thomas didn't happen often), and he was outstanding vs. Florida, too.   Against lesser competition, he was great, but that's easy to mask issues.   That's where his 3-year body of work helps make the case for him.   But it does highlight why the Combine is useful (but not the end-all and be-all) - it helps confirm if there aren't flaws that are masked.  I'll be really interested to see the explosion/agility scores he puts up now.

18 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I will say Broncofan is higher on him than I am though 

It's probably the effect of watching Garrett Bolles play 3 years for us at LT.   When you live in a desert, any oasis looks like an ocean.

And yes, if the Combine shows Thomas has just average agility (size-adjusted), then I'll have to revise my belief on his talent.   So few guys though have his level of success, though, at such an early age, in the Big 10 or SEC.    It's hard to believe he'd have average or less agility to be able to succeed that early.  That probably colors my view, as I'm a huge age-of-success guy.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Do you think the coaches/front office is going to give Minshew more time?

Marrone literally got in a shouting match with Coughlin when he sat Foles and started Minshew and said Gardner was his guy.

They're probably going to let them legit battle out (it's hard to have a 22M backup), but I fully believe Marrone loves the kid. 

As far as the FO, check out this article about Shad and Dave:

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20191102/minshew-had-jaguarsrsquo-owner-khan-hooked-from-their-first-encounter

Very fun and cool story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

He isn't falling past JAX. Our interior is so bad right now.

Didn't you draft a TE over Ed Oliver last year? :) When that pick came in I literally jumped around the room out of hapiness haha. Oliver to the Bills was the dream.

Anyway, pretty sure anything can happen with the Jax ;)

7 minutes ago, Killashaw said:

Didn't you draft a TE over Ed Oliver last year? :) When that pick came in I literally jumped around the room out of hapiness haha. Oliver to the Bills was the dream.

We drafted Josh Allen...who has all the makings of an elite, top of the line edge rusher.

We're plenty happy with what transpired last year.

Edited by .Buzz

9 minutes ago, Killashaw said:

Detroit took Hockenson before Oliver went to Buffalo

• Like 2