Stefanski’s staff

pnies20

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Once a coach always a coach, but it is interesting that Pagac has been out of football for 3 years or so.

Woods must have a profound respect for his coaching and teaching ability.

Here's to hoping he's been staying up to date with current trends.

IMO, this sends a schematic message too on LB play. I'd look very much for it to be more fit based, ala Luke Fickell/Mark Dantonio at UC/MSU. I'd look for us to have a true MIKE LB with a sideline to sideline will, and then either a 2 down SLB with a nickel/box player on 3rd downs or a hybrid.

He will emphasize interior gap integrity and edge setting.

@BleedTheClock this is exciting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, this sends a schematic message too on LB play. I'd look very much for it to be more fit based, ala Luke Fickell/Mark Dantonio at UC/MSU. I'd look for us to have a true MIKE LB with a sideline to sideline will, and then either a 2 down SLB with a nickel/box player on 3rd downs or a hybrid.

He will emphasize interior gap integrity and edge setting.

@BleedTheClock this is exciting.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah it'll be nice to have true linebacker fits. I have no ungodly idea why teams have decided to go away from this recently. 

I wonder when it's all said and done what type of defensive scheme we most dominantly call... 

Is it going to be the Wade Phillips 3-4/4-3 Hybrid, the Quinn/Carroll/Saleh Seahawks 43 with 2 high, or more of what the VIkings did when Woods was there.

17 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah it'll be nice to have true linebacker fits. I have no ungodly idea why teams have decided to go away from this recently. 

People have panicked over new spread concepts and gone almost exclusively to funneling to the edge, which is great if you have a great SS AND great WLB, to go with a MIKE A/B fitter, but unbalanced formations and late motion can really wreck this. (See: our game vs. SF)

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I wonder when it's all said and done what type of defensive scheme we most dominantly call... 

Is it going to be the Wade Phillips 3-4/4-3 Hybrid, the Quinn/Carroll/Saleh Seahawks 43 with 2 high, or more of what the VIkings did when Woods was there.

I'd personally bet on almost an exclusively even front when the WLB can push back and/or the SLB can have his hand in the dirt some too. 

• Like 1

Who in the heck is getting the Assistant Head Coach title?

Callahan didn't receive it in the press release event there's stories of him having the office right next to Stefanski's.

Is there a big fish out there we're saving that title for, and who could it be?

Could it be Wade? Is it going to be announced as Callahan at a later date?

What's is happening?

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Callahan didn't receive it in the press release event there's stories of him having the office right next to Stefanski's.

What's is happening?

Maybe just saving it for when it’s actually needed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

People have panicked over new spread concepts and gone almost exclusively to funneling to the edge, which is great if you have a great SS AND great WLB, to go with a MIKE A/B fitter, but unbalanced formations and late motion can really wreck this. (See: our game vs. SF)

I'd personally bet on almost an exclusively even front when the WLB can push back and/or the SLB can have his hand in the dirt some too. 

@Mind Character, watch some 2005 OSU film when they had Hawk at WLB and Carpenter at SLB, with Schlegel as a 2 down MIKE type, or watch some current MSU/Cinci tape. Those guys are ALL from the same coaching tree and defensive gurus. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

What's is happening?

They don’t have to have one 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

They don’t have to have one 

I mean of course not.

But an Assistant Head Coach designation is standard on almost all coaching staffs.

So, in that light it would be surprising to not have one on staff; thus, my questioning of what's in the offings and if it could be something exciting.