Jump to content
NightTrainLane

2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, raiderrocker18 said:

He looks like he could add some weight with his frame. But highlight videos like that just remind me of Bruce Campbell hype 

He steadily is. Came into college at 275 and is now around 315. Of course, these #'s are to be taken lightly but it shows he is progressing on that front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Lb list right now besides the smith and evans

tremaine edmonds vt

josh allen uk

tegray scales indy

fred warner byu

 

im liking derwin james in the first but im figuring gruden will want a new toy for the offense

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

My Lb list right now besides the smith and evans

tremaine edmonds vt

josh allen uk

tegray scales indy

fred warner byu

im liking derwin james in the first but im figuring gruden will want a new toy for the offense

Smith is a tricky evaluation because despite his standout plays, he's a liability against the run up the middle and I don't think he has ideal length in zone coverage. I have to do more watching, but I might like Edmunds and Evans ahead of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

My Lb list right now besides the smith and evans

tremaine edmonds vt

josh allen uk

tegray scales indy

fred warner byu

 

im liking derwin james in the first but im figuring gruden will want a new toy for the offense

 

 

lol.... BYU. Never change NCOUGH.

Where are you ranking Leighton Vander Esch? I feel people are sleeping on him hard. He is going blow up at the combine and be a fast riser. He's a first round talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Smith is a tricky evaluation because despite his standout plays, he's a liability against the run up the middle and I don't think he has ideal length in zone coverage. I have to do more watching, but I might like Edmunds and Evans ahead of him.

Keep sleeping on Smith. Ranking Edmunds and Evans over him is overthinking it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Keep sleeping on Smith. Ranking Edmunds and Evans over him is overthinking it. 

This has been my initial take on Roquan Smith once he entered the national conversation. My evaluation of him isn't wrong I just prefer different things from linebacker prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Keep sleeping on Smith. Ranking Edmunds and Evans over him is overthinking it. 

This has been my initial take on Roquan Smith once he entered the national conversation. My evaluation of him isn't wrong I just prefer different things from linebacker prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

This has been my initial take on Roquan Smith once he entered the national conversation. My evaluation of him isn't wrong I just prefer different things from linebacker prospects.

That said, were do you rank him if you're putting Edmunds ahead of him? Edmunds has athletic ability that you can develop but his feel for the game, intelligence to diagnose plays, read and react qualities are not there. He lacks the instincts I want in a LB. 

WLB - I'd rank them Smith (top 10), Vander Esch (round 1)  then a step down - Edmunds, Carter, Baker (round 2)

IMO.... those 3 all have boom/bust potential. Athletes for days, space eaters, but not great instincts for the position yet. Need to develop.

Evans looks more MLB, but played SAM at Bama. I want to see how his offseason plays out, but I like his game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

lol.... BYU. Never change NCOUGH.

Where are you ranking Leighton Vander Esch? I feel people are sleeping on him hard. He is going blow up at the combine and be a fast riser. He's a first round talent.

I'm into money backers.

I didn't know vandy was entering ill keep my eye on him. Being in a passing conf helps guys like him and warner.

I'm kinda in love with derwin tho I think he is what we need on defense. He can man up any position on the field especially te. He's like half Ramses/deion Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That said, were do you rank him if you're putting Edmunds ahead of him? Edmunds has athletic ability that you can develop but his feel for the game, intelligence to diagnose plays, read and react qualities are not there. He lacks the instincts I want in a LB. 

WLB - I'd rank them Smith (top 10), Vander Esch (round 1)  then a step down - Edmunds, Carter, Baker (round 2)

IMO.... those 3 all have boom/bust potential. Athletes for days, space eaters, but not great instincts for the position yet. Need to develop.

Evans looks more MLB, but played SAM at Bama. I want to see how his offseason plays out, but I like his game. 

The question is what is a bigger need for us, WLB (Smith) or MLB (Evans)?

At WLB we have James and Morrow with Woodson-Luster and Harris as sub package development guys.

At MLB we have Lee. Bowman is a FA and we all would like to see him back on a reasonable deal but that is a question mark, to say the least, with the change of staff and possibly scheme.

James and Morrow can definitely be upgraded but did show promise, development and high motors when they got snaps.

Lee also showed more toward the end of the year but I think we'd all agree that he was behind James and Morrow in terms of play making. Development is harder to judge for him in his limited snaps.

Looking at the position as a whole, I would say that we could use one high draft pick and one vet this coming year.

I'd say MLB is the bigger need but it wouldn't stop me from taking a blue chip WLB if that's how the board falls.

A lot still be considered like free agency and draft trades so this is just a very early assessment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

The question is what is a bigger need for us, WLB (Smith) or MLB (Evans)?

At WLB we have James and Morrow with Woodson-Luster and Harris as sub package development guys.

At MLB we have Lee. Bowman is a FA and we all would like to see him back on a reasonable deal but that is a question mark, to say the least, with the change of staff and possibly scheme.

James and Morrow can definitely be upgraded but did show promise, development and high motors when they got snaps.

Lee also showed more toward the end of the year but I think we'd all agree that he was behind James and Morrow in terms of play making. Development is harder to judge for him in his limited snaps.

Looking at the position as a whole, I would say that we could use one high draft pick and one vet this coming year.

I'd say MLB is the bigger need but it wouldn't stop me from taking a blue chip WLB if that's how the board falls.

A lot still be considered like free agency and draft trades so this is just a very early assessment.

What actually happened to James? I can't remember if he ended up on IR, but he seemed to come back for a game or two after an injury and never reappear. I though he started the season really well. I also thought Morrow flashed some potential - nothing more. James, I was hoping would step up and be a starter for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, reddevil said:

What actually happened to James? I can't remember if he ended up on IR, but he seemed to come back for a game or two after an injury and never reappear. I though he started the season really well. I also thought Morrow flashed some potential - nothing more. James, I was hoping would step up and be a starter for us. 

James had a MCL injury in the Bal game IIRC. He tried to rest it and play through it but re-injured it vs Den. Went on IR after rest didn't help a few weeks later.

I think James can play the position, if healthy. But what I said above covers it better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all see how dominant the Jags are, largely due to their incredible D-line. Disappointing to know we tried for Calais Campbell last OS too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

The question is what is a bigger need for us, WLB (Smith) or MLB (Evans)?

At WLB we have James and Morrow with Woodson-Luster and Harris as sub package development guys.

At MLB we have Lee. Bowman is a FA and we all would like to see him back on a reasonable deal but that is a question mark, to say the least, with the change of staff and possibly scheme.

James and Morrow can definitely be upgraded but did show promise, development and high motors when they got snaps.

Lee also showed more toward the end of the year but I think we'd all agree that he was behind James and Morrow in terms of play making. Development is harder to judge for him in his limited snaps.

Looking at the position as a whole, I would say that we could use one high draft pick and one vet this coming year.

I'd say MLB is the bigger need but it wouldn't stop me from taking a blue chip WLB if that's how the board falls.

A lot still be considered like free agency and draft trades so this is just a very early assessment.

The Raiders LBs are not starting caliber (though some will try to argue they are). If you can get a stud MLB, WLB it doesn't matter. They need more playmaking ability and speed at ALL LB spots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, big_palooka said:

The Raiders LBs are not starting caliber (though some will try to argue they are). If you can get a stud MLB, WLB it doesn't matter. They need more playmaking ability and speed at ALL LB spots. 

But that wasn't the question i asked and tried to give point counter point to.

It was which position is the bigger need. WLB and MLB?

Yes, we'd would love to upgrade across the board, but with how the draft works, the money we have to spend and other positions that also need attention with new schemes and coaches coming in, that isn't a probable option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×