2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

We're talking about Chubb. Landry... I'm bearish on. No real explosive pass rushers in this class. Some good ones, but none that really jump off the screen.

My bad, was just watching some Landry and carried his name over. all of the points are in regards to Chubb. 

Key is probably the most explosive edge in this class but I'm very iffy on him, he's got a great frame but he needs work and if there's any doubt about his football passion then that scares the crap out of me, could flame out easy. For me, at this point, my BB at 10 looks something like this.

1. Saquon Barkley: until his name is called, i'll put him here. (1% chance)

2. Bradley Chubb: best pass rusher in the draft, most likely goes higher due to the lack of elite edge talent

3. Roquan Smith: think he's the real deal, excited to see him tonight against Bama, decent chance he's there at 10.

4. Derwin James: if we didnt spend high picks on KJ and Obi already he would probably be above Smith for me, guy can do it all. Needs refining none the less.

5. After that, it get's murky for me, don't think we have any chance at Minkah but if things shake out right we may be a good spot for a team to trade up for a 3rd/4th QB after Rosen/Darnold go top 5. I'd really like to see a team like Miami, Cinci, Arizona, Buffalo, etc trading up to 10 for Allen, Mayfield, Jackson. I'd love to settle back into the mid/late first and pick up an extra 2 or 3. An ideal draft for me would be something like...

1. (trade back): Vita Vea/Christian Wilkins: beef up front, has to happen. 

2. Chubb/Guice: could be a sweet spot to grab a RB if they fall to our second round pick, after combines I think they rise higher.

2. (via trade back): Tarvarus McFadden: great size and speed at CB position and with one of (if not both) of Amerson/Smith likely on the way out we need bodies and speed at CB position.

3. Antonio Callaway: He may rise higher if he can ace his interviews and teams aren't scared of his off the field issues but talent wise I think he's the best WR in the draft and would be ecstatic with him here in the 3rd. With Crabtree maybe on his way out and Coop being Coop, we need talent at WR position. 

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly my point. Upright, doesn't bend the edge. Wins with speed and power. All 3 of those gifs, a good NF LT take his lunch money because he's not playing with leverage.

All 3 of these GIFs are evidence of him being able to bend the edge.

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly my point. Upright, doesn't bend the edge. Wins with speed and power. All 3 of those gifs, a good NF LT take his lunch money because he's not playing with leverage.

wins with speed and power? I'd say that's good if you can win with both. you can develop counter moves or hand techniques. can't teach speed and power as much.  

13 minutes ago, roi34 said:

wins with speed and power? I'd say that's good if you can win with both. you can develop counter moves or hand techniques. can't teach speed and power as much.  

In college. College speed and power to beat ACC tackles. He's not explosive however, lacks ability to bend the edge which causes me some concern coming into the pros. I see a good, not great player at the next level. 

this is the year to truly go bpa regardless of position. Minus QB and OG, we can stand to upgrade each unit with legit ballers. I'm not too familiar with the prospects yet, but we can definitely use help all over the roster with true playmakers. I don't care what position they play, just bring in some impact players.

do you guys think Obi or Joseph can play a hybrid LB/S role with we draft Derwin James... I think this defense could use more speed and athleticism. I know teams might run straight at them, but could Joseph or Obi play in that Shaq Thompson,  Deone Bucannon role.. ? 

SLB: Irvin

MLB: Bowman,  James

WLB: Obi,  Morrow

CB: Conely ,

CB: Amerson,

FS: Joseph , Luani

SS: James

back seven would look alot fast and solid.. maybe cut Sean Smith and bring back Carrie or add another starting CB

I would be happy with either Roquan Smith or Rashaan Evans in the first. Both are sideline to sideline guys that like to pop people. Love both Georgia rbs and DamienHarris. Would love Fitzpatrick but feel like he’s a top five pick. Excited to watch though!

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That is not bending the edge. that's running around the LT. Compare that to a guy like Mack who angles his body and bends the corner.

No, it's bending the edge. Bending the edge is being able to turn hips toward the quarterback once the rusher has the edge; hence, bending the edge.

Here's Everson Griffin -- one of the league's best at warping the edge -- doing virtually the exact same thing as Chubb:

Ergd5d.gif

dk80sZ.gif

I'd argue Mack isn't as natural an edge bender as Chubb. Mack wins with a variety of moves, but I think his favorite is an inside arm stab and toss. Power is more Mack's game.

42 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Tonight should be a good game with some major prospects on stage.

Big time.

27 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

I would be happy with either Roquan Smith or Rashaan Evans in the first. Both are sideline to sideline guys that like to pop people. Love both Georgia rbs and DamienHarris. Would love Fitzpatrick but feel like he’s a top five pick. Excited to watch though!

The more I watch, the more I like Evans>Smith. Smith is best when he's clean, but Evans really engages blocks in a similar fashion to Cunningham last year. I'd also argue Evans is more athletic and a better pass rusher. The only think Smith has over Evans is stopping power; he'll get his guy down short of the sticks/goal line more often.

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

another guy to keep an eye on is Da'ron Payne DT Alabama

Not a huge Payne fan; I think he's a second rounder. I don't think it's out of the question to see him fall to the Raiders pick in round 2.

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Big time.

The more I watch, the more I like Evans>Smith. Smith is best when he's clean, but Evans really engages blocks in a similar fashion to Cunningham last year. I'd also argue Evans is more athletic and a better pass rusher. The only think Smith has over Evans is stopping power; he'll get his guy down short of the sticks/goal line more often.

Evans’ blitz skills are crazy good. Dude is an animal.

Archived