Free Agent QB Discussion

WindyCity

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine with him as competition.

The twitter love for Dalton is just absurd to me. He is a slightly better more accomplished version of Mitch.

You;re not wrong on that but do you really think they are going to bring someone in at QB that's a sure fire better player than Mitch and pay that QB accordingly based on the going rate for a decent starter?  Highly doubtful.

From all accounts they are committed to further developing Mitch.  Let's be realistic here.

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You;re not wrong on that but do you really think they are going to bring someone in at QB that's a sure fire better player than Mitch and pay that QB accordingly based on the going rate for a decent starter?  Highly doubtful.

From all accounts they are committed to further developing Mitch.  Let's be realistic here.

I am.

Lets just be honest and not celebrate Dalton like the Mitch haters do on Twitter.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am.

Lets just be honest and not celebrate Dalton like the Mitch haters do on Twitter.

Oh I'm not celebrating anything but I think the team could do far worse than to get Dalton as a back up/potential fill in if Mitch falters or gets hurt. 

Chase Daniel is worse and from the sounds of it Mariota is not an option.  I guess Keenum would be alright also but he's no better than Dalton is.

That leaves who else exactly?  We are not getting Brady, Brees or Bridgewater.

Dalton is going to be released by Cincinnati because no one is trading for him at his current cap figure and there is no cap penalty for them to do so as all his guarantees have been paid out.  It totally makes sense if he's willing to sign here at the right price on a 1-year deal maybe with an option year sprinkled in.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Jags hold onto the signing bonus cap hit as they have already paid it.

You got me as I didn't know that.  Either way $16M is still too much for a backup when you claim to want to continue developing the guy you drafted.

15 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Oh I'm not celebrating anything but I think the team could do far worse than to get Dalton as a back up/potential fill in if Mitch falters or gets hurt. 

Chase Daniel is worse and from the sounds of it Mariota is not an option.  I guess Keenum would be alright also but he's no better than Dalton is.

That leaves who else exactly?  We are not getting Brady, Brees or Bridgewater.

Dalton is going to be released by Cincinnati because no one is trading for him at his current cap figure and there is no cap penalty for them to do so as all his guarantees have been paid out.  It totally makes sense if he's willing to sign here at the right price on a 1-year deal maybe with an option year sprinkled in.

You got me as I didn't know that.  Either way $16M is still too much for a backup when you claim to want to continue developing the guy you drafted.

It would depend on how much truth there was in developing Mitch.

I would only take Foles if a real draft pick came with him. I am taking that call, not making it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It would depend on how much truth there was in developing Mitch.

I would only take Foles if a real draft pick came with him. I am taking that call, not making it.

I'd do it only if they sent us a no less than a 2nd round pick like Osweiler fetched from the Browns.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Sources: Brad Biggs says Mariota isn't an option for the Bears in free agency. Trubisky and Mariota share the same agent. "It's an absolute nonstarter for the Bears."

A QB not signing with a team because it might offend someones AGENT would be in the Hall of Fame of stupid **** that heppens to the Bears.  

"Marcus, I'm sorry, but we need to think of (laughs) Mitch Trubisky's career here, so I need you to sit out 2020"

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

A QB not signing with a team because it might offend someones AGENT would be in the Hall of Fame of stupid **** that heppens to the Bears.  

"Marcus, I'm sorry, but we need to think of (laughs) Mitch Trubisky's career here, so I need you to sit out 2020"

That's what I said.

If Marcus thinks Bears are best way to regain a starting gig or offering the most money then why on Earth would he say no?

Because they share an agent?  Ludicrous.

If Mariota was super hot commodity I can see that.  But Tannehill doubled his point production coming in mid-season and turned Titans season around.  Tannehill, not Peyton Manning, Tannehill.  Mariota was that bad.   Mariota is living off college rep and potential still.

He isn't choosing between 30 mil offers from multiple teams.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think the agent would have a conflict to be able to do the best for each athlete. I'm sure its contractual in nature. 

39 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I think the agent would have a conflict to be able to do the best for each athlete. I'm sure its contractual in nature. 

Then you remove the conflict. Who knows what opportunities Mariota has?  He can't take 1 of however many teams off the table.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine with him as competition.

The twitter love for Dalton is just absurd to me. He is a slightly better more accomplished version of Mitch.

133 NFL regular season starts is invaluable. He would also be a hedge to if Trubisky ****s the bed in 2020.

• Like 1