The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I mean unless they're planning to do Poirier vs Ferguson, who else do they give the title shot too? But even if they did that fight I don't think people would be interested in seeing Poirier fight Khabib again or Ferguson fight Gathje again. As I said above if Masvidal got a title shot after beating Diaz then why shouldn't Conor, especially if he has another dominating win? 

FWIW I dont think beating Nate should do anything to help Jorge's title shot chances either

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yes you can. The UFC needs to generate as many PPV sales as they can because of how much money they're missing out on with no fans at events. Conor vs Gathje or Khabib is one of the biggest fights in combat sports history and would have a very good chance of breaking the UFC's all time PPV record. Dana White doesn't give a damn about the rankings or trying to be fair, he wants to put on the biggest fights. 

If they were to do the Conor-Nate trilogy and he starches Nate I would bet my life savings that he gets an immediate title shot. I mean look at Masvidal's recent path to a title shot, he starched Till which was impressive but then beat Askren with that flying knee, and then beat Nate for the BMF belt. If Masvidal can get a title shot fresh off of a win vs Nate then Conor definitely can as well. 

You're right, but I'm one of the ones who thinks it SHOULD be based off rankings. Otherwise, the rankings are pointless and it's just a popularity contest. 

And Dana has even come out and said the business is booming right now. 

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

You're right, but I'm one of the ones who thinks it SHOULD be based off rankings. Otherwise, the rankings are pointless and it's just a popularity contest. 

I think the rankings are there for the casuals as well honestly. Like oh #2 is facing #3 that should be a good fight, I'll watch that one

• Like 1

This talk about a "safe" fight for Conor to keep him active and fresh then fight the Khabib/Gaethje winner is the total opposite concept of having him taking another boxing fight against a guy who wont let Conor take the first few rounds. Seems like unnecessary punishment and if Conor gets finished doesnt his star power take a hit even if its in boxing?

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You absolutely can and its probably whats going to happen if he fights Nate again but damn its a sucky way to treat the rest of your LW contenders. 

Dana definitely will do the best thing for the UFC/PPV sales etc

Unfortunately the Die Hards will watch no matter what and its the casuals that move the needle so thats the fight to make

FWIW Dana White said today that they offered Conor the Poirier rematch. 

6 hours ago, JonStark said:

The UFC has never really followed the ranking system that closely though. Dana White literally just does whatever he wants. 

I'm sure he has said that but there's no doubt that the lack of revenue from ticket sales is hurting the company. 

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

FWIW I dont think beating Nate should do anything to help Jorge's title shot chances either

It definitely helped him. Till and Askren after two losses to top contenders shouldn't have gotten him a title shot. His rise to popularity was literally because he punched Edwards back stage, then beat Askren with that crazy flying knee, and then fought Diaz for that fake belt in MSG. 

Edited by NYRaider

We've seen a few guys get title shots that probably didn't deserve it recently. 

Jose Aldo - Got a title shot at 135 coming off of 2 straight losses. 

Dominick Cruz - Got a title shot at 135 coming off of a loss and a 4 year layoff. 

Holly Holm - Got a title shot at 135 despite being 2-4 in her previous 6 fights. 

Paulo Costa - Got a title shot at 185 despite only 1 win over a ranked fighter. 

Darren Till - Got a title shot at 170 despite only 1 win over a ranked fighter. 

Jorge Masvidal - Got a title shot at 170 despite only beating 1 contender in his 3 fight winning streak. 

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

So now Dana has offered a fight to Dustin and Conor. Probably so the UFC can make their money instead of losing it to a charity event.

There's absolutely zero chance in the world that Conor participates in a non-sanctioned bout for free. He's trying to force the UFC's hand to schedule a bout for him. 

Funny enough though Dana White said they were planning on doing TUF on ESPN with Conor and Khabib as the coaches and the rematch after the season but Khabib pulled out after Conor leaked Dana's DMs. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We've seen a few guys get title shots that probably didn't deserve it recently. 

Jose Aldo - Got a title shot at 135 coming off of 2 straight losses. 

Dominick Cruz - Got a title shot at 135 coming off of a loss and a 4 year layoff. 

Holly Holm - Got a title shot at 135 despite being 2-4 in her previous 6 fights. 

Paulo Costa - Got a title shot at 185 despite only 1 win over a ranked fighter. 

Darren Till - Got a title shot at 170 despite only 1 win over a ranked fighter. 

Jorge Masvidal - Got a title shot at 170 despite only beating 1 contender in his 3 fight winning streak. 

Don't forget Dan Henderson getting the lifetime achievement title shot vs Bisping despite being 4-6 since returning to the UFC and his 4 wins were Shogun x2, Tim Boetsch and Hector Lombard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Don't forget Dan Henderson getting the lifetime achievement title shot vs Bisping despite being 4-6 since returning to the UFC and his 4 wins were Shogun x2, Tim Boetsch and Hector Lombard.

Yeah there's really no structure or order to the UFC's decision making process. It's just whoever Dana White wants to see fight. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)