The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

On 4/25/2021 at 4:55 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is Nick even a publicly traded fighter? Lol

Nick is definitely a fan favorite and a draw. He literally hasn't won a fight in over a decade and I'd bet that a PPV headliner against someone like Masvidal would still do 500k+ PPV buys. 

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Considering the takes on Twitter that I've seen around, people know Nick and don't really know Khamzat.

Yeah, I'd say Nick is still one of the more marquee names in MMA, especially because of Nate's recent success/big fights. 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not a huge fan of Izzy vs Vettori for the MW belt. The first fight between the two was definitely competitive but I just have a hard time seeing how you can justify giving Vettori a title shot over Whittaker. 

Whit wasn't going to be ready soon enough. He'll probably get the next shot. 

21 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He literally transcended a sport from FS1 to ESPN, who thought he was dumb?

It was better on FS1. They would dedicate their main channel to it. The production, coverage, and commentary were better. On ESPN it's a sideshow. The sport was better before Conor got big as well. Now it's full on WWE with all the trash talk nonsense. 

Edited by Shockwave

4 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

It was better on FS1. They would dedicate their main channel to it. The production, coverage, and commentary were better. On ESPN it's a sideshow. The sport was better before Conor got big as well. Now it's full on WWE with all the trash talk nonsense. 

it is very cringe to hear them talk about fights when they clearly have no clue whats going on or how to pronounce their names

23 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

The UFC is definitely a more main stream sport after Conor's crazy run then it was before. Fox didn't even want to resign the broadcasting deal with the UFC when it ended a couple of years ago. As a byproduct of Conor's success we've been able to see a lot more fan friendly/focused fights, champions fighting champions, and stacked PPV cards. Conor helped elevate the sport into the main stream on the biggest sports entertainment platform and was a major reason they were able to sell the company for $4B. 

I'm not a huge fan of all of the pre-fight banter, but at the end of the day that has and always will be a major part of the fight game. There's a reason that boxing is dying because they don't promote their fights very well and there's not of a lot of exciting build up or media coverage leading up to big fights. Which is why Jake Paul is essentially the biggest name in the sport right now. 

24 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

it is very cringe to hear them talk about fights when they clearly have no clue whats going on or how to pronounce their names

ESPN definitely needs to continue to expand and invest resources into their coverage of the sport. But I think Brett Okamoto and Ariel Helwani are two of the best journalists regardless of sport at providing coverage and insight into fights. And ESPN's broadcast team on PPV of Rogan and the boys is also one of the best of any sport. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is 500K buys a big deal?

Of the UFC's like 260 PPV's only 70 have done 500k+ PPV buys. 

In the UFC's history they've had 18 PPV's do 1M+ buys: 7 of those cards were headlined by Conor, 2 of those cards were headlined by Rousey, and 5 of those cards featured Brock Lesnar in the main or co-main event. The only 2 PPV's in the last decade that did 1M+ buys without Conor, Rousey, or Lesnar on the card were Usman/Masvidal 1 and Silva/Weidman 2. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Of the UFC's like 260 PPV's only 70 have done 500k+ PPV buys. 

In the UFC's history they've had 18 PPV's do 1M+ buys: 7 of those cards were headlined by Conor, 2 of those cards were headlined by Rousey, and 5 of those cards featured Brock Lesnar in the main or co-main event. The only 2 PPV's in the last decade that did 1M+ buys without Conor, Rousey, or Lesnar on the card were Usman/Masvidal 1 and Silva/Weidman 2. 

I feel like the vast majority of those 70 happened in the 2nd half of their time

I feel like they would do 500K pretty easily because you have the current casuals for Jorge paired with the old school die hards for Diaz

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like they would do 500K pretty easily because you have the current casuals for Jorge paired with the old school die hards for Diaz

I haven't seen official numbers released but I've seen rumors that Masvidal/Diaz did about 650k buys. Usman/Masvidal 1 did 1.3m buys and Usman/Masvidal 2 did 700k buys. 

Diaz 4 PPV headliners did 650K buys (Silva), 950k buys (GSP), 400k buys (Condit), and 280k buys (Penn). 

So on average in their 7 headline events they've averaged about 700k buys.