The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I think it had less to do with Trevor Whitman and more to do with Pat Barry. Whitman was clearly calling for more volume while Pat was encouraging her for getting boo'd. She would be a far better fighter with just Whitman's coaching. 

Also Whitman's fighters seem to break against good ground fighters. Usman doesn't count because he was good on the ground before seeking Whitman's help with his stand up.

3 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Also Whitman's fighters seem to break against good ground fighters. Usman doesn't count because he was good on the ground before seeking Whitman's help with his stand up.

I feel like the game plan for Justin was far different than what transpired and almost assuredly the input that Trevor Whitman had in Rose's fight wasn't "don't hit her".

If the game plans are executed better in each case I believe the outcomes "could" have been different. Gaethje got tagged and he became the brawler that got knocked out by Dustin Poirier and Eddie Alvarez. His discipline broke down and he was wild and erratic. Rose undoubted had the advantage on the feet, but felt that she didn't need to throw strikes. As early as round 2, Whitman was calling for more volume, culminating with him essentially begging her to "stop being technical" and try to win the fight. She fought scared and lost because of it.

In my opinion this is more of a "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink" situation.

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I feel like the game plan for Justin was far different than what transpired and almost assuredly the input that Trevor Whitman had in Rose's fight wasn't "don't hit her".

If the game plans are executed better in each case I believe the outcomes "could" have been different. Gaethje got tagged and he became the brawler that got knocked out by Dustin Poirier and Eddie Alvarez. His discipline broke down and he was wild and erratic. Rose undoubted had the advantage on the feet, but felt that she didn't need to throw strikes. As early as round 2, Whitman was calling for more volume, culminating with him essentially begging her to "stop being technical" and try to win the fight. She fought scared and lost because of it.

In my opinion this is more of a "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink" situation.

Yeah I agree but with Justin, he doesn't even train his wrestling or Jiu Jitsu and while he was submitted fast by Charles and Khabib, the best grapplers we've seen the last 5-10 years, he should learn from this so he's not dead in the water as soon as the fight hits the ground.

Pat Barry just had Rose treating Carla like she was Khabib 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

A lot of people are saying that if Beneil or RDA beat Islam (I don't think RDA could but maybe Beneil) that it would kill the fight with Charles but all it would make me want do is want to see Charles fight RDA or Beneil lol

Beneil vs Charles would be such a weird fight as there would be zero hype from the casuals and maximum hype from everyone else. 

• Like 1

Islam and Beneil are in such a weird spot where he has been dominant against everyone he has fought recently but their resumes are kind of garbage when talking title shots. Beneils' best win is against Ferguson and Islams is Hooker. Both of which in hindsight arent even good wins let alone great. I want to see the Olives/Islam fight dont get me wrong but its a weird spot. If either of them had beaten the likes of Gaethje/Poirier/Chandler, heck even RDA or Gregor would be a better win imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I'd like to see Charles wait it out after Dariush and Islam fight. We win twice 

Yea idk how long Dariush is out though. Thats the real question. I think Chandler turns down Islam although I’d like to see Islam/Mike too as a #1 contender fight if Poirier/Gaethje dont want the smoke

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)