The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

Islam sat in Davi Ramos' guard for 2+ rounds and Charles got GnP'd by Paul Felder. 

There is nothing that suggests to me that Oliveira stands a chance off his back. He needs to use his striking (like every Islam opponent), imo.

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about for Charles. His style also is built around not having to worry about the takedown. He's very upright, and throws a lot of knees. I just feel like it's not going to be that hard to take him down. And then when he is down, I feel like we'll see Islam's top control too powerful for Olives to get anything done off his back.

I could be wrong - and I hope I am, as well. But I think he needs to hurt Makhachev on his feet first.

• Like 1

btw I saw somewhere that Dana said that Conor's injured right now, and not ready to fight for a little while. Also read somewhere that he hasn't been tested for 8-9 months, and might actually be out of the testing pool, which would mean he's at least 6 months away.

Got to imagine it's Islam next, unless anything happens with Olives that he can't fight again this year.

Can't get over what a roller coaster of a card that was. 

Brown/Khaos = banger

OSP/Shogun - snoozefest

Chandler/Tony - insane

Rose/Carla - snoozefest x10

Olives/Gaethje - insane

They picked the right card to include those two uneventful ones in.

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

Can't get over what a roller coaster of a card that was. 

Brown/Khaos = banger

OSP/Shogun - snoozefest

Chandler/Tony - insane

Rose/Carla - snoozefest x10

Olives/Gaethje - insane

They picked the right card to include those two uneventful ones in.

Rose and Carla should be demoted to strictly fight nights 

• Like 1

Rose is such an enigma, man. I don't get how you can be a killer vs the likes of Weili and JJ but you're afraid of engaging Carla Esparza. I get the takedown threat but she showed she was able to defend them/recover quickly. Trevor Wittman is usually an insanely good coach but I don't get that gameplan last night.

21 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Conor’s in the weirdest situation in that he gets to choose who he’s gonna get killed by.

The one top contender I'm confident Conor can beat is actually Justin. Justin is going to stand no matter what, and his chin is very suspect. He's also no where near as accurate or disciplined as Conor's striking. Justin's wild style is the perfect recipe for Conor's counter/precision style, as in Conor would feast. Old Conor would have KO'd Justin in the 1st Round. Conor now? Not sure. Would be a good fight. I still think Conor wins. 

Edit: Unless you are talking about Charles or Usman, and not Justin. As in, Conor gets a title fight. Usman would destroy Conor... and Charles likely beats Conor, although I'd say Conor has a solid 35% chance against Charles, depending if he's actually taking training camp serious or not. He definitely hits harder than Justin, Porier, etc who all rocked Charles. 

Edited by BayRaider

On 5/8/2022 at 5:31 AM, Buckrock101 said:

Oliveira vs Islam

Chandler vs Conor (or vs Poirier if Conor's not coming back soon)

Dariush vs RDA/Fiziev winner

Gaethje vs Hooker

Tony vs Bobby Green maybe (but sometime next year when Tony's conscious again)

Id rather see Dariush fight Poirier. Would be a huge win for Dariush. 

18 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Rose is such an enigma, man. I don't get how you can be a killer vs the likes of Weili and JJ but you're afraid of engaging Carla Esparza. I get the takedown threat but she showed she was able to defend them/recover quickly. Trevor Wittman is usually an insanely good coach but I don't get that gameplan last night.

This 100%, I was wondering the same thing listening to her post fight interview. Yes, Rose mentioned you cant just rush her but do something. You have the ability to stop the TD. Your gameplan couldn't have been to land just 30ish strikes and not engage at all. 

18 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Crazy that fighters don't know how scoring works. You basically only get points for landing strikes. And putting ppl in compromising positions while grappling. 

The face comment I'm like...um you're a fighter. you dont need to get into a war but do something

20 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Trevor Wittman is usually an insanely good coach but I don't get that gameplan last night.

I think it had less to do with Trevor Whitman and more to do with Pat Barry. Whitman was clearly calling for more volume while Pat was encouraging her for getting boo'd. She would be a far better fighter with just Whitman's coaching. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)