The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

@FinneasGage Chimaev vs Nick Diaz would be a fun one

it's fun if you hate nick diaz. otherwise let's stick to giving nick someone like... matt brown. lol

I think Chimaev vs Belal Muhammad would make a ton of sense. Belal said he's interested in a main event fight and I think you could definitely have that as the main event on a fight night card. If Belal gets a win it'd be great exposure for him and if Chimaev wins then he's in the mix near the top of the division.

i mean yeah i guess i wouldn't be mad at it... big step up for chimaev, but he's gonna wash belal regardless i'd assume. maybe have chimaev bang out a quick belal fight and then get him into a #1 contender fight w/ leon.

if usman beats colby again, the only guy i REALLY wanna see him fight is chimaev. everyone knows he's a top 5 WW. let's not waste a year giving him momentum builders... he doesn't need it. chimaev vs. leon. 

I think Masvidal vs Leon is the fight to make. They have a history and a win over the other would be huge for both.

it'd be fun in theory with that little incident, but i feel like leon won't be a fun in the build. we don't have many masvidal fights left... personally i only wanna see him bang with gamers from here on out after spending two years of his career on kamaru. 

1. chimaev v. belal

assuming chimaev beats belal...

2A. chimaev v. leon
2B. kamaru v. colby
2C. jorge v. luque 

if kamaru wins, give him chimaev/leon winner. if colby wins give him jorge is jorge wins, otherwise chimaev/leon winner. 

and if wonderboy absolutely starches burns and puts on a show... then i dunno. give him colby/kamaru loser 

10 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

it's fun if you hate nick diaz. otherwise let's stick to giving nick someone like... matt brown. lol

i mean yeah i guess i wouldn't be mad at it... big step up for chimaev, but he's gonna wash belal regardless i'd assume. maybe have chimaev bang out a quick belal fight and then get him into a #1 contender fight w/ leon.

if usman beats colby again, the only guy i REALLY wanna see him fight is chimaev. everyone knows he's a top 5 WW. let's not waste a year giving him momentum builders... he doesn't need it. chimaev vs. leon. 

Chimaev has like 3 wins in the UFC against bums, lol. 

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Chimaev has like 3 wins in the UFC against bums, lol. 

i've anointed brandon thatch a future champ. i've anointed lando vannata a future champ. i don't give a **** bro i'll anoint any hype beast a future champ and stay in that boat until they retire 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Masvidal got the fight because the first one did over 1M PPV buys and Usman called him out after the fight, all parties wanted the rematch simply because of the potential sales/money to be made. Especially because Masvidal took the fight on short notice so people were intrigued to see if a full camp would make a difference. Masvidal has to be the only guy in UFC history to lose his first title fight, not fight again, and then get a rematch against the champion that already beat him. 

Yeah that's part of it too, but there were people that felt it had the chance to be a different fight with a full training camp. Masvidal going the distance on short notice is a lot different than Colby getting finished after a full camp. 

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Nate said that he wants to fight again in the next 3 or 4 months. If he's staying at welterweight, Damian Maia just publicly said that he wants his last fight to be Nate. Masvidal two also makes sense but I think Masvidal should fight Edwards next. 

Cant imagine Maia gets that fight 

18 hours ago, JonStark said:

Yeah that's part of it too, but there were people that felt it had the chance to be a different fight with a full training camp. Masvidal going the distance on short notice is a lot different than Colby getting finished after a full camp. 

The Colby vs Usman fight was one of the best title fights in UFC history. Two judges had Colby winning the fight heading into the 5th round before his jaw was broken. Masvidal got absolutely dominated for 5 rounds in the first Usman fight and lost a unanimous decision 50-45. 

Colby's finish was somewhat controversial as well because he didn't actually get KO'd he was just too injured to continue. And the reason he even got hurt like that was because Usman couldn't take him down so it was strictly a kick boxing match with over 300 strikes landed. 

In the first Usman vs Masvidal, Jorge didn't take a ton of damage because Usman just rag dolled him and held him down the entire fight, Masvidal had no chance and it wasn't even remotely competitive. He took the rematch and got sent into the shadow realm in the second round. 

i think there's some ****ery in PFL. spend all night hyping ray cooper iii, talking about how fun a potential rory match-up would be and then give the decision to tibau to set up the RC3 and Macdonald match up after rory just ****in used tibau as a punching bag for 15 minutes dude. that's crazy i still can't get over that. if anything, i hope that rory bolts outta there and back to the ufc now once this season ends. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Colby vs Usman fight was one of the best title fights in UFC history. Two judges had Colby winning the fight heading into the 5th round before his jaw was broken. Masvidal got absolutely dominated for 5 rounds in the first Usman fight and lost a unanimous decision 50-45. 

Colby's finish was somewhat controversial as well because he didn't actually get KO'd he was just too injured to continue. And the reason he even got hurt like that was because Usman couldn't take him down so it was strictly a kick boxing match with over 300 strikes landed. 

In the first Usman vs Masvidal, Jorge didn't take a ton of damage because Usman just rag dolled him and held him down the entire fight, Masvidal had no chance and it wasn't even remotely competitive. He took the rematch and got sent into the shadow realm in the second round. 

I don't disagree with the Masvidal part (I probably would've made him win a fight before giving him the rematch), but there is nothing controversial about the way the Colby fight ended. He was finished and it was a good stoppage. 

I'd like to see the fight again for sure but to say that a win over a washed up Woodley is enough to claim the champion is ducking anyone is just wrong.