The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The UFC needs to go on a full court press to rid the sport of this 3 point stance preventing a knee to a grounded opponent BS. Fighters game the rule way too much and at this stage the rule just needs to be eliminated. 

They also need to allow more elbows for when someone's holding you against the cage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Isnt less than 3 months a very quick turnaround for a dude that just went 5 rounds to a split?

Yeah Driscus looked pretty busted up at the post fight presser. His face looked like GSP after he fought Hendricks lol. 

But i think being a champion and getting PPV points on an event as big as 300 is expected to be, may influence his decision for a quick turnaround. 

On 1/21/2024 at 12:02 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Blood bath. Izzy won't take that risk until he gets another win under his belt.

without Jon and Connor, 300 will either suck or they'll over pay a name over the hill to come back

it wont suck but I just think Dana oversold it. The card is already pretty great but its just not what Dana made it sound like(so far)

Lets look at UFC 200 for comparison

Main Event was Nunes v Tate...gross

Brock Lesnar v Hunt, snore

DC v Anderson Silva....snore

Aldo/Edgar and Cain/Browne were fun but I think 300 already looks better than 200 and 300 will get better

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 5:50 PM, SilverNBlackFan said:

Yeah Driscus looked pretty busted up at the post fight presser. His face looked like GSP after he fought Hendricks lol. 

But i think being a champion and getting PPV points on an event as big as 300 is expected to be, may influence his decision for a quick turnaround. 

it would have to be a crazy pay bump to take that fight because there is no way he is 100% walking into his first title defense. I think with there being really bad blood there, he really wants to be at his best. Plus wouldnt that fight be better in Africa?

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Lol UFC signed Kayla Harrison to compete at 135 lbs vs Holm at 300. She missin' weight. 

Ronda Rousey and Amanda Nunes unretirements confirmed too

How the heck can she get down to 135? but seriously if she somehow can make the weight, isnt she the obvious title holder now? bantamweight is so bad right now. 136 is going to be bad but that last pound to make championship weight is going to be worse than the Pacheco fight

Also, I guess Donn Davis lied about her contract lol

Honestly surprised people are underwhelmed by 300. We still might have another announcement, but even if not, that card is absolutely STACKED. May be missing that one big superstar name to get the casuals to buy, but every single fight so far is going to be awesome. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

Honestly surprised people are underwhelmed by 300. We still might have another announcement, but even if not, that card is absolutely STACKED. May be missing that one big superstar name to get the casuals to buy, but every single fight so far is going to be awesome. 

We are absolutely getting 1 more announcement, heck the site still shows TBD for the main event. its just weird though that 300 is just as good as 299

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

We are absolutely getting 1 more announcement, heck the site still shows TBD for the main event. its just weird though that 300 is just as good as 299

I think that's more of a testament to 299 being surprisingly great than 300 being lackluster. Might just end up being Leon and Belal, which would be hilarious that after getting passed up over and over again, Belal might be headlining 300. 

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

I think that's more of a testament to 299 being surprisingly great than 300 being lackluster. Might just end up being Leon and Belal, which would be hilarious that after getting passed up over and over again, Belal might be headlining 300. 

Id be pretty surprised if Leon/Belal was the headliner

11 hours ago, JonStark said:

The entire point of the century cards is to generate interest beyond the typical audience with an epic event. UFC 100 was huge for the company and sport at large. It's a rare opportunity to draw an avalanche of eyes and new fans to the sphere, the UFC's World Cup. 

It's a great card, which is awesome for us fans that watch every PPV. Ultimately though, it's not going to do much for the sport's reach. Just feels like a lost opportunity.

16 hours ago, JonStark said:

I completely agree and think it's the deepest card (at the time without hindsight bias) I've seen the UFC put on. This card is amazing.

Also surprised (maybe I shouldn't be) at the angry reaction to Harrison on 300. I get Holm is a snoozefest, but if we are having legends on the card, she fits the bill for WMMA. This was really exciting news imo and brings life to what was a dead division when Nunes left.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The entire point of the century cards is to generate interest beyond the typical audience with an epic event. UFC 100 was huge for the company and sport at large. It's a rare opportunity to draw an avalanche of eyes and new fans to the sphere, the UFC's World Cup. 

It's a great card, which is awesome for us fans that watch every PPV. Ultimately though, it's not going to do much for the sport's reach. Just feels like a lost opportunity.

Yeah I agree with that, but I'm talking about the outrage from MMA fans saying the card hasn't lived up to the hype. As a whole, it blows UFC 200 out of the water. Personally, I'd rather watch highly competitive fights than Brock Lesnar vs Mark Hunt lol

7 hours ago, Soggust said:

I completely agree and think it's the deepest card (at the time without hindsight bias) I've seen the UFC put on. This card is amazing.

Also surprised (maybe I shouldn't be) at the angry reaction to Harrison on 300. I get Holm is a snoozefest, but if we are having legends on the card, she fits the bill for WMMA. This was really exciting news imo and brings life to what was a dead division when Nunes left.

Yeah I think Kayla is going to be a huge signing, assuming she can make 135 consistently. I can't imagine she would've left PFL if she wasn't confident in doing so though.