The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

BTW, it's noteworthy that books let the odds stay, or even improve, against Van / Merab & Diego Lopes.   They took hard stances backing those 3.    Let's see how it goes.   So far they're 1-for-1.

Books went 3-for-3.   With big favorites Jauregui & Zellhuber (not as big as Jauregui, but heavy action on him), the parleys all got busted.    Books made a mint tonight.

Big indictment of Sean and his coaches tonight imo. He was way too reliant on a one shot prayer and just stood there watching Merab bounce around. Conor McGregor already put down the blueprint for how to deal with those squatty guys at range. Feint the counter and knee, constant work with the jab, dig those teeps to the stomach, and keep most of your work linear and down the pipe until they open up. 

Merab doesn't have great power or crazy subs, and even if he does get you down here and there he's not going to land 100% of his takedowns. You need to open up and let him feel your offense. That teep at the end from Sean was too little too late. He should've been doing that the whole fight and kept his jab in Merab's face. Nothing Sean did made much sense to me in this one.

Congrats to Merab, he has an interesting contender waiting in Umar and I hope we get that in December as the co main to Dricus-Strickland II. I'm going to that card and selfishly want some fun fights.

O'Malley should fight Sandhagen next and see how he does, he might try to go FW and test his luck against them though. Like try to get a striker vs striker fight against Yair or someone then try to market himself into a title shot. He wasn't the star the UFC and commentators made him out to be, he's closer to the Strickland tier than he is the upper tier of stars, but I'm expecting a 5 round non title fight underneath some upcoming championship fights to help sell those cards. Like a Belal vs Shavkat card in 2025 or something.

On 9/15/2024 at 12:08 AM, DreamKid said:

Big indictment of Sean and his coaches tonight imo. He was way too reliant on a one shot prayer and just stood there watching Merab bounce around. Conor McGregor already put down the blueprint for how to deal with those squatty guys at range. Feint the counter and knee, constant work with the jab, dig those teeps to the stomach, and keep most of your work linear and down the pipe until they open up. 

Merab doesn't have great power or crazy subs, and even if he does get you down here and there he's not going to land 100% of his takedowns. You need to open up and let him feel your offense. That teep at the end from Sean was too little too late. He should've been doing that the whole fight and kept his jab in Merab's face. Nothing Sean did made much sense to me in this one.

Chito reads our posts confirmed-