The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Why is Santos not a contender if he beats Glover? I mean he fought for the belt and a super close fight with Jones. Feel like that would be enough after beating Glover too as well as a win over Jan. 

I think Santos is the next challenger if he wins. But I just don't think he's the clear-cut, no-brainer #1 contender. There's an argument for Rakic, or hell even Jiri, since Santos would only have a 1-win streak.

Just think that if Glover wins, his 5-win streak puts him as the clear #1 contender. If Santos wins, he probably deserves it, but it's a little more cloudy.

16 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

IS Smith even that good? I mean he beat Rashad and Shogun...then Volkan who after the fact doesnt appear to be a major player either. Dominated by Jones and then beat an already defeated Gusty

I think he's shown signs of being very good, but he seems to crumble under the spot light or earliest signs of hardship, just turtles up and sort of gives up on trying to win.

13 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I think Santos is the next challenger if he wins. But I just don't think he's the clear-cut, no-brainer #1 contender. There's an argument for Rakic, or hell even Jiri, since Santos would only have a 1-win streak.

Just think that if Glover wins, his 5-win streak puts him as the clear #1 contender. If Santos wins, he probably deserves it, but it's a little more cloudy.

I feel like Jiri/Rakic need another name. Santos was starching everybody. He crushed Yan who is getting the next shot which is a bigger deal than either of the other 2 and he went toe to toe with Jones without any knees. If the LHW champ wins and gets hurt I'd be fine with Santos(assuming he wins) fighting Rakic or Jiri for the #1 contender spot

On 8/31/2020 at 10:47 AM, Pats#1 said:

I think he's shown signs of being very good, but he seems to crumble under the spot light or earliest signs of hardship, just turtles up and sort of gives up on trying to win.

I don't think it's fair to say that. In both the Gus and Volkan fights he fought back and battled through adversity to get a late finish. He showed the same back at middleweight against Hector Lombard and Anthony Sanchez too. He was outstruck in all four of these fights, but went on to win by finish.

One big problem is that he's too comfortable off his back. That's a bad thing against guys with heavy pressure like Glover, Rakic, Jones.

He's also at a strength disadvantage from what I see (and from what he's said too). That's led to him getting beaten up, and then the only reason he's still in the fight is because of his toughness.

13 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I don't think it's fair to say that. In both the Gus and Volkan fights he fought back and battled through adversity to get a late finish. He showed the same back at middleweight against Hector Lombard and Anthony Sanchez too. He was outstruck in all four of these fights, but went on to win by finish.

One big problem is that he's too comfortable off his back. That's a bad thing against guys with heavy pressure like Glover, Rakic, Jones.

He's also at a strength disadvantage from what I see (and from what he's said too). That's led to him getting beaten up, and then the only reason he's still in the fight is because of his toughness.

agree completely. I dont think the guy who has his teeth gathered up in between rounds and gets off the stool for the next round has toughness issues. He is a good fighter in a really tough spot. He is kinda too big for 185 and according to his own words is not strong enough for 205. Probably never a champ at either but will be a strong gate keeper for the foreseeable future.

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)