The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

3 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

I'm from Ohio so I have been a huge Stipe fan for years. I feel like he'll wear down Francis again. 

Anyone familiar with how Francis's cardio is these days? 

It's hard to say because since the first Stipe fight the only fight that went the distance was his loss to Derrick Lewis but neither guy engaged at all, there were 0 takedowns and only a total of 31 strikes landed in 15 minutes. On his current 4 fight win streak he has won each fight via 1st round KO and 3/4 were over within under a minute and the 4th only last 1 minute and 11 seconds. IIRC his last four fights have been finished in an average of 40 seconds. 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's hard to say because since the first Stipe fight the only fight that went the distance was his loss to Derrick Lewis but neither guy engaged at all, there were 0 takedowns and only a total of 31 strikes landed in 15 minutes. On his current 4 fight win streak he has won each fight via 1st round KO and 3/4 were over within under a minute and the 4th only last 1 minute and 11 seconds. IIRC his last four fights have been finished in an average of 40 seconds. 

So it's pretty much the same fight all over again, lol

11 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

So it's pretty much the same fight all over again, lol

I wouldn't say that. Francis only started training when he was 26 and was just beating guys because of his power early on in his career. The first Stipe fight was only his 11th professional bout while Stipe has been a life long boxer/wrestler/mma fighter. None of the guys that he has beaten since then have been able to handle his power but 3 years of training with great coaches, especially with as raw as Francis was in the first fight, will definitely make a huge impact. 

In the first fight Francis looked lost during the grappling exchanges and was just looking to explode to get back to his feet. Since that fight he has changed training camps and has been working with Eric Nicksick who was named MMA coach of the year in 2020. 

Since that first fight we've also seen Stipe get KO'd in the 1st round by Cormier who is nowhere near as powerful as Francis. Followed by two hard fought wars with Cormier after that. Stipe is also 38 now so it'll be interesting to see if his chin can still hold up.

3 hours ago, carl_sjunior said:

I'm from Ohio so I have been a huge Stipe fan for years. I feel like he'll wear down Francis again. 

Anyone familiar with how Francis's cardio is these days? 

No lol

Dude has had his cardio tested in 1 fight his whole career, his last fight v Stipe. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't say that. Francis only started training when he was 26 and was just beating guys because of his power early on in his career. The first Stipe fight was only his 11th professional bout while Stipe has been a life long boxer/wrestler/mma fighter. None of the guys that he has beaten since then have been able to handle his power but 3 years of training with great coaches, especially with as raw as Francis was in the first fight, will definitely make a huge impact. 

In the first fight Francis looked lost during the grappling exchanges and was just looking to explode to get back to his feet. Since that fight he has changed training camps and has been working with Eric Nicksick who was named MMA coach of the year in 2020. 

Since that first fight we've also seen Stipe get KO'd in the 1st round by Cormier who is nowhere near as powerful as Francis. Followed by two hard fought wars with Cormier after that. Stipe is also 38 now so it'll be interesting to see if his chin can still hold up.

Yea those DC fights were brutal too for Stipe's longevity. Pieces of Stipe were left in that trilogy even though he won 2 out of 3. I'm still team Stipe but man im worried

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303