2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

Seems like a few of us are ready to get to work on the off-season. We have a Tanny thread:  

Then we also have a Derrick Henry Thread:

Those are two of the main story lines for the Titans this off-season. It's not off-limits in here, but this will be mainly for the main look of the team and direction to go. 

Pass rush help is needed desperately. Maybe Walker who they drafted this year and didn't play will help but we need to draft or sign a pass rusher big time to help Landry.

I would franchise Henry personally and try to sign either Tannehill or Brady.

Logan Ryan unfortunately would be a cap casualty. I also think Delanie Walker sadly is done in Tennessee and I think Woodyard may retire.

We need pass rush help and another corner with speed. If we don't sign Tannehill or another capable QB that is obviously a huge need but I don't see the Titans letting Tannehill go for better or worse unless he prices himself out.

Losing Henry to me would mean we have to change our philosophy a bit but I think if the offensive line keeps it up run blocking we can be effective if we needed another back. However I hope the Titans keep Henry. No other RB like him. I do think we could be using Dion Lewis better I still like Lewis and if we lose Henry we need to keep Lewis.

I don't think we need to address offensive line starter wise even if Conklin leaves Kelly is capable. TEs I think we are fine with the current group. Wide receivers maybe one more with speed but overall I like the group of AJ Brown, Corey Davis and Adam Humphries in three wide.

D line is solid, inside linebacker we are set. Outside linebacker is solid but need one more edge rusher badly. Secondary I actually want us to keep Butler have him and Jackson outside. We should draft a CB with speed. I am high on Hooker and Cruikshank. Safety we are set. Kicker Joseph seemed overall fine. Kern is the best in the league.

So really the only areas we need to address (outside of QB or RB depending on how that shakes out) are a pass rusher and a corner with speed.

Obviously QB and RB uncertainty is critical but depending how that shakes out this Titans team is solid overall and several of the young guns should only get better.

Edited by Titan89

6 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Man it so sad seeing this thread up already, was really hoping to push this thread off for another few weeks 

Hopefully the Titans don’t dink around and try to get some deals done when they are first eligible too atleast with Henry 

Lol rewind to Broncos game, we thought this thing would have been up months ago. :) 

Like said in another thread, this deep playoff run pushed this back for almost a month.

Senior Bowl this week.
Few weeks after that the Combine (Feb. 25)
Few weeks after that FA starts (March 16)
Few weeks after that Draft (April 23)
Few weeks after that Mini-Camp (May 8)

Then training camp (July) 

Lol So really just a few more weeks and we will be back for pre-season   LOL!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If they can franchise Henry without him holding out for Zeke money, that would be great, but I really don’t see us keeping Henry.

But we’ll see. There are a lot of ways the team could go in free agency this season.

Henry will be brought back for obvious reason you pretty much made it plain clear in the playoffs who’s offense this is. Tannehill is nice but it was the Derick Henry Show, & even today with arts conservative play calling, you know who & where this offense starts with 

1 minute ago, TitanRedd said:

Henry will be brought back for obvious reason you pretty much made it plain clear in the playoffs who’s offense this is. Tannehill is nice but it was the Derick Henry Show, & even today with arts conservative play calling, you know who & where this offense starts with 

Devil's advocate: today, we saw how limited an offense that's really just Derrick Henry can be.  That, and the fact that paying RBs insane amounts of money is usually a bad idea makes me think it doesn't happen.

RBs can be replaced, QBs not so much.  I'm not all in on Tannehill, but it's probably silly to think Derrick Henry will replicate what he did in the playoffs next season.

As much as I would love for him to be back, the smart move is probably letting him go.

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Devil's advocate: today, we saw how limited an offense that's really just Derrick Henry can be.  That, and the fact that paying RBs insane amounts of money is usually a bad idea makes me think it doesn't happen.

RBs can be replaced, QBs not so much.  I'm not all in on Tannehill, but it's probably silly to think Derrick Henry will replicate what he did in the playoffs next season.

As much as I would love for him to be back, the smart move is probably letting him go.

Again RB’s can be replace only when you’re Kyle Shanahan or a offensive genius or you have a franchise QB with elite arm talent, 🗣 we have neither. Which is why art calls plays to setup the pass off the run. Tannehill is good but he’s not elite 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Don't think it would be smart football wise. 
Money wise long term probably, but immediate football wise?  No.

I think it's just false to think you can just grab a RB our of the 4th/5th round and get production.
Roster spots can be just as valuable as cap space.
If we carry say 4 RBs to try to get the production we need from the position are we really being smart? Do we have the talent elsewhere to account for that? 
Do we trust Arthur Smith to be able to juggle personnel correctly and use 3 RBs like they do in San Fran?

Franchise Henry or give him the exact deal that Bell got. 4 year deal with an out after 2 years. Only $27 mil guaranteed. Draft a back in the 3rd round. Cut Lewis.

While it may seem like a dumb move to pay a RB, it is equally a questionable move to just let the leading rusher in the league and locker room leader.

I also feel it doesn't match any of the "recent horror" stories at RB.

Gurley had knee issues before the contract in 2018 even the next year of the deal he got 17 TDs and the team made the Super Bowl.
David Johnson had missed the previous year before his deal pretty much on injury.
Bell had some character concerns and this year he still was the best weapon the Jets had in his down year.
Elliot has some character concerns and still produced worthy of the deal.
They paid DeVonta Freeman based off his time with Shanahan, changed the system and he isn't the same back. 
McKinnon was a FA bust due to injury and truthfully never should have got that money.

Those are the top paid RBs based on new deals. 
To me that says, don't pay a RB that has past knee issues or character concerns that has only produced for one season.

Henry has no character concerns. No injury concerns. Now back to back seasons of production. Same offensive system next year.  He to me, doesn't fit the list of concerns for previous RBs.

I also feel you don't pay a RB when you have a franchise QB. We do not have a franchise QB, so pay the people around that guy that will help make that QB the best he can be.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Again RB’s can be replace only when you’re Kyle Shanahan or a offensive genius or you have a franchise QB with elite arm talent, 🗣 we have neither. Which is why art calls plays to setup the pass off the run. Tannehill is good but he’s not elite 

Freeman is one the horror stories at paying a RB, and Shanahan got him that money. Shanny took his system and RB production with him. 

I'll point it out again. It's easy to say we can just draft or sign any RB to replace Henry's production. 

Bishop Sankey, David Cobb, Shonn Greene, Antonio Andrews, Dexter McCluster are all some of the guys who we tried to get to be the guy in the years between CJ and Demarco Murray.

Now, I trust Jon Robinson to find better production than Ruston Webster did during that span. However, I just want to show it's not as simple as just plugging any RB through a high draft pick/UDFA/free agency and thinking he'll provide similar production to an All Pro back.

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

I'll point it out again. It's easy to say we can just draft or sign any RB to replace Henry's production. 

Bishop Sankey, David Cobb, Shonn Greene, Antonio Andrews, Dexter McCluster are all some of the guys who we tried to get to be the guy in the years between CJ and Demarco Murray.

Now, I trust Jon Robinson to find better production than Ruston Webster did during that span. However, I just want to show it's not as simple as just plugging any RB through a high draft pick/UDFA/free agency and thinking he'll provide similar production to an All Pro back.

Just crazy SOB that wants to keep the best offensive unit this team has seen in almost a decade together.  lol 

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

To be fair, everyone Webster drafted failed, not just RBs.