2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

37 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Definitely see Tampa as a option he’s from Florida 

It’s definitely closer than Nashville, but Tampa is like a 4 hr drive to Yulee so idk how much that would matter (plus I-4 is just a complete travesty with all the construction going on here..I guess it could be avoided taking I-75 though). I think being in FL only plays a factor if it’s Jacksonville pitching him.

• Like 1

I keep saying Henry has surpassed the "just a RB" talk, into an Eddie realm. 

Eddie obviously had more success early on, rushing for 1290+ yards each of his first 4 years. In fact, bulk stats are better... 1360 carries, 5365 yards, 3.9 ypc, 28tds, 114 rec, 994 yards 8.7 ypr, 6 tds... to Henry's 804 carries, 3833, 38 tds, 4.8 ypc, 57 rec, 578 yards, 10.1 ypr, 3 tds. Henry's been the more efficient back, both in yards per touch and tds per touch. 

But there are similarities between Henry now and when Eddie became one of the highest paid RBs in 2000 (6/42M). Just like Henry, Eddie was the leader and face of the team. McNair was obviously one of our all time greats, but it was Eddie who rallied the team, especially off the field.

Eddie didn't have his 1500+, SB bound season until 2000, after he signed his extension. He wasn't able to replicate his success after 2000,but he also had over 1750 carries after those 5 seasons. Even if Henry matches his workload this coming season, he'll have over 600 less carries than Eddie had through 5 years. 

I know we have to worry about the on the field product, but reality is we're a team in desperate need of an identity, a face, marketability... Not just in Nashville, but outside it. There are acouple people at work whose kids, early teens, became Titans fans this postseason... They have no connection to the Texas team like some of us "old timers" do. Henry was obviously the catalyst to that.

And while that kinda effect should only be secondary, it can't be ignored. Henry's value off the field, in the locker room, in the media, and with fans has value. But it's not like that's all he offers. While he may not be in the conversation for the best all round back in the NFL, he's probably the best pure runner in the league... He's able to get the tough yards and also able to take it to the house on any carry... He breaks tackles in the backfield and is a nightmare once he gets past the 1st level. He's also the type of player that gets better as the game and season wears on. He has probably about 2-3 years of this elite level play left in him, which is why the structure of the contract will matter much more than the total and APY values of the contract. 

But we need to bring him back. Analytics and conventional wisdom be dammed... <<gasp>>

• Like 3

A big difference between paying Eddie George and paying Derrick Henry is the era. In 2000 RBs were still in vogue. Running the ball and playing defense and holding teams to under 20 points was a realistic option even against good offenses.

It's 2020. I think most people would agree that Henry's presence and marketability do add value to what he should get in a contract. However that value should not make him near the highest paid RB given Zeke's already overpriced contract.

One of the best ways to make a team more marketable is to win. That needs to be the #1 priority when handing out contracts. AJ Brown was becoming a marketable player just before the playoffs and he still will be. We will have other people to market just fine if we continue to be successful on offense.

Whether or not we should bring him back should come down to the amount he's going to get paid. Bringing back Tannehill, Conklin, and signing a top edge rusher should all be a higher priority. How much can we afford to pay him after that while still being in a good position going forward keeping in mind contracts we will lose in future years and the contracts we will need to add?

Edited by TitanSS

We may not have made the SB, but we, along with other teams showed that you can definitely win in today's NFL with a balanced team. 

But to put contracts in perspective... And taking just APY for the sake of simplicity... Eddie's context in 2000 was 6/42 (plus an additional option year... Which never came into play as he was gone 4 years into the contract) = 7M/year... With a 62M cap. That's 1/9th of total cap room, 11%...APY-wise. Even if Henry gets 14M APY, that's with a 200M cap... Less than 1/14th of the cap... 7% (not even taking into account the 20M roll over). The devaluation of the running game is already a part of the current market. 

• Like 2

I was in my early teens in the first part of the 2000s, so my actual knowledge of what happened back then is fuzzy without researching it, but didn't we have major cap issues and a lot of cap casualties that followed? I feel like we couldn't afford to retain a lot of players.

6 hours ago, TitanSS said:

A big difference between paying Eddie George and paying Derrick Henry is the era. In 2000 RBs were still in vogue. Running the ball and playing defense and holding teams to under 20 points was a realistic option even against good offenses.

It's 2020. I think most people would agree that Henry's presence and marketability do add value to what he should get in a contract. However that value should not make him near the highest paid RB given Zeke's already overpriced contract.

One of the best ways to make a team more marketable is to win. That needs to be the #1 priority when handing out contracts. AJ Brown was becoming a marketable player just before the playoffs and he still will be. We will have other people to market just fine if we continue to be successful on offense.

Whether or not we should bring him back should come down to the amount he's going to get paid. Bringing back Tannehill, Conklin, and signing a top edge rusher should all be a higher priority. How much can we afford to pay him after that while still being in a good position going forward keeping in mind contracts we will lose in future years and the contracts we will need to add?

I understand what you saying but can we please stop bringing up zeke contract can’t compare Henry to zeke he got an extension he still had 2 years left on his deal & he was a 4th overall pick & the cowboys have a deep roster with cap room. Your logic make sense though 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

I understand what you saying but can we please stop bringing up zeke contract can’t compare Henry to zeke he got an extension he still had 2 years left on his deal & he was a 4th overall pick & the cowboys have a deep roster with cap room. Your logic make sense though 

I don't think agents care about that when they go into contract negotiations. If people are talking about Henry as the best RB in the NFL, his agents will point to that contract as what the team should be expecting to pay the best RB in the NFL.

It doesn't mean he'll get it, but the most recent contract at your position for a similar caliber player will always be relevant.

6 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I was in my early teens in the first part of the 2000s, so my actual knowledge of what happened back then is fuzzy without researching it, but didn't we have major cap issues and a lot of cap casualties that followed? I feel like we couldn't afford to retain a lot of players.

Different cap era... The cap has tripled since then... Cap roll over was not a thing back then... And rookie contracts were out of control. Ie, Young got a 58M contract as a rookie, 26M guaranteed right out the gate...this when the cap was just over 100M. Fast forward to now where Murray got 35M, 23.5M guaranteed. 

This was an era where GMs would have to extend contracts to lower cap hits... Mortgaging the future for wins in the moment. 

But yeah, the Titans got into cap hell in 2006, 2 full seasons after Eddie played his last down as a Titan. 

The league and contracts have changed so much since then. Teams now minimize salary bonuses in lieu of roster bonuses, making contracts easier to get out of, without having to mortgage future cap seasons. 

5 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Different cap era... The cap has tripled since then... Cap roll over was not a thing back then... And rookie contracts were out of control. Ie, Young got a 58M contract as a rookie, 26M guaranteed right out the gate...this when the cap was just over 100M. Fast forward to now where Murray got 35M, 23.5M guaranteed. 

This was an era where GMs would have to extend contracts to lower cap hits... Mortgaging the future for wins in the moment. 

But yeah, the Titans got into cap hell in 2006, 2 full seasons after Eddie played his last down as a Titan. 

The league and contracts have changed so much since then. Teams now minimize salary bonuses in lieu of roster bonuses, making contracts easier to get out of, without having to mortgage future cap seasons. 

Actually it was the 2004 season we were in cap hell, we cut everyone from Mason, Rolle, Dyson, Carter, Kearse, Fred Miller, Lance Shulers, Justin McCariens, Eddie George, we sucked so bad in 04 that we drafted PacMan in 05 with 6th pick 😩 & that’s the same draft Aaron Rodgers came out 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Actually it was the 2004 season we were in cap hell, we cut everyone from Mason, Rolle, Dyson, Carter, Kearse, Fred Miller, Lance Shulers, Justin McCariens, Eddie George, we sucked so bad in 04 that we drafted PacMan in 05 with 6th pick 😩 & that’s the same draft Aaron Rodgers came out 

Pacman was a stud though, just an absolute moron