I know the Bengals will take Burrow, but...

DoleINGout

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Based on what?  He transferred into LSU as an outsider and won the starting QB job immediately and won over the locker room that season.  Was the unquestioned leader heading into this year.  Transferred away from Ohio State and you can't find a single former team mate from the Buckeyes who will do anything except gush about Burrow.  The same kind of gushing all the LSU players in the draft process do about him now.  Any coach or player who has actually played with him contradict that bolded thought completely.  Hell, even the entire Ohio State fan base was pulling for Burrow once they weren't going to play head to head.

Easy to root for a former teammate in college if they're half decent as a teammate and suddenly famous especially with the opportunity to win a national championship. Burrow just had one of the best college seasons ever statistically and is in the spotlight as much as he'll ever be. The frontrunner position Burrow is in is gong to draw all kinds of respect least of which from his former teammates and especially his current ones. I don't doubt that Burrow is at least a decent guy or teammate. Never said otherwise. Not all great teammates are automatically leaders however. Winning a starting job does not necessitate a leadership role either.

The quarterback position is by default a leadership role of sorts due to the amount of responsibility in handling the football every possession.

In the case of Brissett and Burrow, as I said, there are leadership qualities. I am not sure they are actually leaders yet.

10 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Losing the job to Haskins and transferring put a chip on his shoulder but not the kind of arrogance or the whole world is against me so I’m pouting through my successes still. The kind that I’m going to prove you wrong and have fun doing it. 

Agreed about the shoulder chips. It seemed like Burrow was on a mission this year.

• Like 1

People that don't understand why we OSU fans love Burrow so much don't understand just how big HS Football is in the state of Ohio, period. Texas/Florida/California/Ohio/Pennsylvania it's different here in these states. You saw just a glimpse of that in his Heisman speech.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

While I think that Chase Young is an absolute freak and as close to a "LOCK" as you get, calling him or anyone else a "guaranteed Mack" is biased. Chase Young may end up being Andre Wadsworth or Vernon Gholston using the same 1:1 correspondence logic.

I think you missed this post. We were discussing what we would do if Young was 100% guaranteed to be a Mack-level player  

• Like 2

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

I think you missed this post. We were discussing what we would do if Young was 100% guaranteed to be a Mack-level player  

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I mean, I pretty much am always on the "give me the guarantee" train then.

If he's a future HOF caliber player that is going to be that way for 7+ years, then you have to take him. I'd take him, cut Andy/start Finley, and go completely in the tank for Lawrence in 2021.

I'm serious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Easy to root for a former teammate in college if they're half decent as a teammate and suddenly famous especially with the opportunity to win a national championship. Burrow just had one of the best college seasons ever statistically and is in the spotlight as much as he'll ever be. The frontrunner position Burrow is in is gong to draw all kinds of respect least of which from his former teammates and especially his current ones. I don't doubt that Burrow is at least a decent guy or teammate. Never said otherwise. Not all great teammates are automatically leaders however. Winning a starting job does not necessitate a leadership role either.

The quarterback position is by default a leadership role of sorts due to the amount of responsibility in handling the football every possession.

In the case of Brissett and Burrow, as I said, there are leadership qualities. I am not sure they are actually leaders yet.

You know, I let a lot of bad opinions go in this thread, and chose not to engage, but going after his leadership ability is just beyond the pale. I'm not sure how or when you came to this conclusion, and I apologize for being a bit blunt, but this is a terribly misinformed take. I suggest you do some reading, because by all accounts Joe has been a phenomenal leader on and off the field since stepping on to campus in Baton Rouge. It goes to show how much you actually know about Joe, which explains the wildly inaccurate Jacoby Brissett comparison you made earlier.

Breiden Fehoko walked into Monday's player meetings expecting a different vibe. After the Tigers had just beat top-10 SEC foe Florida 24 hours earlier, Fehoko was expecting a bit of a hangover from the team's big win.

So the senior defensive end was surprised by the reaction in the locker room.

"You play a big game like that the mentality is to come in and relax," Fehoko said. "But you have to treat every game like it's your last. We came in today and it kind of felt like we lost. Everybody was just kind of really focused and not in a bad way but we just kind of felt like let's move on to the next game."

That's because, like Fehoko, this team has goals much larger than beating a top-10 SEC team or starting the season off 6-0 for the first time since 2011, a season that birthed a BCS Championship appearance.

After the game on Saturday night, quarterback Joe Burrow gave a speech in the locker room, letting his teammates know what the goals should be for this team. 

"Don't let good enough stand in the way of greatness," Burrow revealed to the media after the game.

"After the game on Saturday, Joe was talking about getting to practice already and getting our mindset ready for a Tuesday practice," Fehoko said. "I mean shoot I'm glad he's not our coach because he'd probably have us practice after the game. That's the leadership we need."

LSU coach Ed Orgeron was right on cue in agreement with Fehoko's summation of the Burrow speech.

"LSU standard of performance. That's what you want your leader to do," Orgeron said. "I told him jokingly, I said, I'm glad you're not the head coach, we'd be practicing tomorrow morning. He was kind of PO'd, but I like that. That's true leadership. Joe knows where we want to go. We all know where we want to go. We got to do it one date at a time."

Above article dated: Oct. 15th, after 6 games (6-0). Well before any National Championship aspirations were on the radar outside of the LSU locker room, and well before Joe was "famous". 

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/fehoko-burrow-talk-the-importance-of-having-a-player-driven-team

"I didn't consciously try to be someone different," Burrow says. "A lot of coaches try to tell people what kind of leader they should be, but everybody is kind of their own leader. Tom Brady's leadership isn't the same as Matt Ryan's. Everyone has their own secret sauce. You can't steal someone else's secret sauce. If Burger King tried to make Cane's sauce, it would be crap.

"Everyone has their own. You just have to find yours."

The Tigers, too, have clearly found their secret sauce.

"It's more than their ability to throw the ball consistently now," says one SEC coach. "It's Burrows' attitude; they're feeding off it. He has made them the most dangerous team in the league."

Connors took Burrow down with a blindside hit. A dirty hit. Burrow was decleated and driven into the ground. Moore turned the poor throw into a 93-yard touchdown return, and suddenly, LSU was down 14-3 early, looking like it might be the latest Power Five team taken down in a major bowl by giant killer UCF.

On the sideline, Orgeron screamed at his offensive staff to get backup quarterback Myles Brennan ready to play. Burrow slowly pulled himself off the turf, walked to the sideline and got in Orgeron's face.

"You're not taking me out of this game!" he screamed.

Then he went out and completed 19 of his next 28 passes for 363 yards and four touchdowns—and no more interceptions—and a depleted LSU team beat UCF and wrapped up its first 10-win season since 2013.

"We put two full IV bags in him after the game," Orgeron says. "He's not one of those fake tough guys. He walks it every day."

"I remember thinking, Who is this guy?" says LSU center Lloyd Cushenberry III. "The next thing you know, he's in the locker room, and he's hanging around the offensive linemen. You know, those quarterbacks usually stick together. Not Joe. He belongs with us."

This article was dated September 4th, before the season began, and before the fame.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2851972-from-osu-castoff-to-sec-difference-maker-qb-joe-burrow-sets-a-new-tone-for-lsu

That's two examples from 2 seconds of googling "Joe Burrow leader". Joe isn't immune to criticism, and there are lots of things you can criticize about his game - he's got one year of production, his frame is slight, his arm is average, his production was certainly elevated by his supporting cast etc. - but don't question his leadership or his grit. It's one of many remarkable features that make Joe as great as he is.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1

Why do people act like Burrow is a guaranteed bust and Young isn't? Remember when some people honestly though Detroit should have taken Aaron Curry over Matt Stafford?

If Cincinnati takes anyone but Burrow, the fans should flat out revolt. Could he bust? Of course. But if he doesn't pan out Cincy will just have to try again. Can't really fault them for taking a chance on the top rated QB when they need a QB.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Elky said:

Why do people act like Burrow is a guaranteed bust and Young isn't? Remember when some people honestly though Detroit should have taken Aaron Curry over Matt Stafford?

If Cincinnati takes anyone but Burrow, the fans should flat out revolt. Could he bust? Of course. But if he doesn't pan out Cincy will just have to try again.

I'm guessing because one player has looked like a future top 5 pick since his freshman year, while the other player only dominated during his 5th year of school.

Still, I think it's foolish to consider Young bust-proof.  

52 minutes ago, Elky said:

If Cincinnati takes anyone but Burrow, the fans should flat out revolt. Could he bust? Of course. But if he doesn't pan out Cincy will just have to try again.

I'm stocking up on Molotov cocktails just in case they don't take Burrow.