End of season 1st mock

OneTwoSixFive

Here is my first go at a 2020 draft and free agency. I haven't put $ numbers on the re-signings and vet FAs, but the losses and gains are designed to make it all doable under the cap.

Significant Losses:
ILB Blake Martinez
G Lane Taylor
C Corey Linsley
TE Jimmy Graham

Re-worked Contract
QB A.Rodgers (already done)

Significant New Contracts
Bryan Bulaga
NT Kenny Clark
LT David Bakhtiari (minimal additional cap hit due to existing contract being large)
RB Aaron Jones (retaining him is why Linsley needed releasing)
RB Jamaal Williams
TE Marcedes Lewis (not very expensive but good for TE development)

Big Veteran FA additions
ILB Corey Littleton

My thinking is that Martinez will cost too much (for what he is) and is released. Graham is not playing up to a $12m pa contract, and his release frees up $8m+. I'd like to keep Martinez but his production versus projected salary means he is gone (his replacement is in the draft). Littleton gets a monster hike in his current $3m salary and is the big veteran addition as an ILB coming into his prime, whose forte is coverage. Rams will struggle to keep him at a high salary (like $14m+) due to their cap situation.

Lane Taylor is released for a modest cap gain, I also release Linsley for a bigger cap return and the hole at guard is filled with a draft pick (Lucas Patrick stands in, until round 4 draftee is ready, or Patrick proves to be better). Elgton Jenkins takes over at Center. RB Jamaal Williams is replaceable if you look only at the stats, but he always runs hard and is a great locker room presence, I'd keep him if his next contract is modest, around $5m pa. He IS (sadly) expendable if the cap money is just too tight to make his deal.

Draft I tried to make this draft at thedraftnetwork and got virtually all these picks. 5th rounder TE Parkinson went three picks before the Packers turn, but that isn't significant. Shenault is often gone by pick 30 but was here this time around. Bredeson is sometimes there with the 4th pick, sometimes not. I got a picture for each draft pick and reduced their size from the often huge original pic, but they won't transfer to this post (I'm sure the original pics will, but most are huge pictures

1 WR Laviska Shenault 6'2”, 220, Colorado. Has the smarts, the height, the physical body, strong hands and speed, to be a quality moveable chess-piece. Runs more like a RB with the ball. Alternative pick WR Jalen Reagor.     https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/laviska-shenault-jr/NLQE1jFVo5

2 DL Justin Madubuike 6'3”, 304, Texas A&M Strong and quick, a gap penetrator to begin the upgrade from Lowry/Lancaster/M.Adams.  https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-madubuike/xpRhCFjTkz

3 ILB Markus Bailey 6'1”, 240 Purdue. After losing Martinez, he will be the Martinez clone, mainly a gap-filling run stopper to pair with the veteran coverage ILB Littleton (see above). Alternative player (to draft) ILB Evan Weaver.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/markus-bailey/OtGYSwyJNA

4 G Ben Bredeson 6'5”, 325, Michigan Big, experienced tough mauler who can impact the run game as well as pass protect.  https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ben-bredeson/cTxPUTk0o4

5  TE Colby Parkinson 6'7”, 251 Stanford Huge target with enough speed to threaten deeper parts of the field, and has great hands. Blocking is poor at this time but he has all the tools to become much better. I'd love to see him spend a year on the team with Marcedes Lewis to help him block well.  https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/colby-parkinson/xoMtmOliez

6a  RB Patrick Taylor 6'3”, 227, Memphis A bigger back who is powerful with decent (not great) speed along with solid pass catching ability. As he only played in one game this season (bad ankle) he is available with a 6th round pick.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/patrick-taylor-jr/D0U6vBx0cH

6b DL Davon Hamilton 6'4”, 310 Ohio St. Good mover, quick hands, experienced and strong. Can hold up vs double teams. which he faced constantly at Ohio St. Must learn to stay low after contact. Along with Keke, and draft pick Madubuike, he can complete a remake of the Packers D line.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/davon-hamilton/0rMLfjtcnZ

7a QB Kellen Mond 6'3”, 217, Texas A&M. Mond could be a gem of a pick. He needs to improve some things (obviously), but he has the live arm and good pocket awareness. He has decent speed when he runs for it. He can be accurate, but he can also be streaky, he needs to work on his throwing mechanics.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kellen-mond/jhx5XAPmG3

7b  CB Tino Ellis CB 6'1”, 195, Maryland. Scrappy corner with likeable coverage ability. The fundamentals are there to coach up........a nice project.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tino-ellis/oR7wvQs6UF

• Like 1

I guess I'm still just confused as to where the cap is going. We cut Lane Taylor and Graham, and now Linsley. That gives us, with the Rodgers extension, appx $55m cap space. 

Littleton is getting FOURTEEN MILLION??? What has he done to deserve anywhere close to that?

Okay, so we have $41m. Then Bulaga, let's say gets $12m. We have $29m. 

Kenny Clark gets what, $16m and his 5th year is torn up? Okay, that was $7.69m, so a difference of $9m if you want to say his year 1 cap hit will be the AAV, which it wont, but still. Now we have $20m.

Leave $7m for the draft, we have $13m. 

So we save that $13m to use in the year for Bakh, Aaron Jones and Jamaal extensions? 

I gotta say, if this is how we use this cap space, I will mail Gute a life size mould of my backside so he can fist me

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I guess I'm still just confused as to where the cap is going. We cut Lane Taylor and Graham, and now Linsley. That gives us, with the Rodgers extension, appx $55m cap space. 

Littleton is getting FOURTEEN MILLION??? What has he done to deserve anywhere close to that?

Okay, so we have $41m. Then Bulaga, let's say gets $12m. We have $29m. 

Kenny Clark gets what, $16m and his 5th year is torn up? Okay, that was $7.69m, so a difference of $9m if you want to say his year 1 cap hit will be the AAV, which it wont, but still. Now we have $20m.

Leave $7m for the draft, we have $13m. 

So we save that $13m to use in the year for Bakh, Aaron Jones and Jamaal extensions? 

I gotta say, if this is how we use this cap space, I will mail Gute a life size mould of my backside so he can fist me

Bakh is already on a huge contract, so getting another big one won't impact the available cap space much, maybe $1m extra. I budgeted about $11m for Bulaga. Clark is about as you suggested, given that there are several ways you can make the first year of the contract more, or less. It is Aaron Jones that takes up the lions share of the remaining money. Jamaal is a luxury keep (I pretty much said that when I pointed out that if the cap is too tight he could be let go). 

Did you not read where i said Littleton massively outplayed his current contract ? That is the only reason the Rams are in such a tight spot to keep him.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

15 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Did you not read where i said Littleton massively outplayed his current contract ? That is the only reason the Rams are in such a tight spot to keep him.

So what you said was this...

59 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Littleton gets a monster hike in his current $3m salary and is the big veteran addition as an ILB coming into his prime, whose forte is coverage. Rams will struggle to keep him at a high salary (like $14m+) due to their cap situation.

So I extrapolated from that info that we are signing him to a $14m+ deal, am I incorrect? Either way, there is no way he deserves a contract that high. 

Just now, JBURGE said:

So I extrapolated from that info that we are signing him to a $14m+ deal, am I incorrect? Either way, there is no way he deserves a contract that high. 

I think you'll find that is what he gets, it will be a huge hike for him. Good coverage ILBs get big bucks. Slower guys, even talented ones, get less as they lack the real sideline to sideline talent.

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:
6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That so illogical it hurts my brain.

Why ? Apart from the luxury of the Jamaal Williams new contract (which i admitted was a luxury).

It's illogical because we are losing more of our own players than we are retaining in 2020 (lose Martinez, Linsley, Taylor, Graham), and the only player we are bringing in is Littleton. 

We have $55m cap space in your scenario. We brought in 1 free agent, re-signed 1, and extended 4 that don't even need to be extended

• Like 1

We can revisit this after the draft and see what actually happened in draft and FA

Martinez is replaced with draft pick Bailey, and the ILB room generally is improved a great deal, with Littleton. Linsley is replaced by Jenkins, Taylor by Patrick in the short term, Bredeson in the longer term. Graham is mostly replaced by Sternberger, while by 2021 I'm hoping Parkinson can stand in for Lewis.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive