Doug Pederson running the ball less than Andy Reid is a serious problem...

Phire

41 minutes ago, BLick12 said:
42 minutes ago, SwedeCane said:

This is his second season. He took the Dolphins to the playoffs last season with a 10-6 record.

Good point. 

Not really. Chip Kelly didn't the same too. Him making the playoffs doesn't really mean much to me. 

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not really. Chip Kelly didn't the same too. Him making the playoffs doesn't really mean much to me. 

But the Chip Kelly hire in general was an enigma. It's not like Adam Gase runs a gimmick offense. He's just been successful at doing things in the straightforward sort of way when you think of head coaches. Sure he could regress, but I don't think he's as likely to fall hard like Chip Kelly did.

29 minutes ago, Danger said:

But the Chip Kelly hire in general was an enigma. It's not like Adam Gase runs a gimmick offense. He's just been successful at doing things in the straightforward sort of way when you think of head coaches. Sure he could regress, but I don't think he's as likely to fall hard like Chip Kelly did.

I don't know that I think Chip's failure was his scheme. I think it was his lack of appreciation of talent and understanding of personnel. Casting out McCoy and bringing in Murray was a fundamental failure of evaluating fit for his scheme.

I just find it baffling that a team with two former quarterbacks on the coaching staff are completely cool with Wentz, a second year player, throwing the ball 100 times a game.

I really think Doug should give the play-calling duties to Reich. He can't be any worse.

8 hours ago, RBreezy said:

I just find it baffling that a team with two former quarterbacks on the coaching staff are completely cool with Wentz, a second year player, throwing the ball 100 times a game.

I really think Doug should give the play-calling duties to Reich. He can't be any worse.

I think doug should just be fired guy isn't good at his job at all. 

I understand wanting to run the ball more, but our run game is awful. Our line can't block and our backs are average at best.

We can run into a brick walk to keep defenses honest, but that is wasting downs. And how honest is a 2 yard run going to keep a defense? Wouldn't want it to reach 3 yards!!

1 hour ago, MemphisEagles said:

I understand wanting to run the ball more, but our run game is awful. Our line can't block and our backs are average at best.

We can run into a brick walk to keep defenses honest, but that is wasting downs. And how honest is a 2 yard run going to keep a defense? Wouldn't want it to reach 3 yards!!

It's not a waste. The problem with abandoning the run is that the defense isn't dumb and realizes that. Once they don't have to watch the run they can just sit back and play pass defense. Once you start trying to pass on a defense fully expecting the pass you're wasting 3-4 downs instead of 1. You must keep running the ball. We did a good job against Kareem Hunt and then he broke that huge run. Imagine if Andy abandoned the run.

1 hour ago, Phire said:

It's not a waste. The problem with abandoning the run is that the defense isn't dumb and realizes that. Once they don't have to watch the run they can just sit back and play pass defense. Once you start trying to pass on a defense fully expecting the pass you're wasting 3-4 downs instead of 1. You must keep running the ball. We did a good job against Kareem Hunt and then he broke that huge run. Imagine if Andy abandoned the run.

The problem is, our running is so bad that even when we are keeping the defense honest, they can still just focus on the pass. We don't have any one who is going to chug out 2 yard carries then break out a 20 plus yarder. 

Also look what the chefs did in the 2nd half once they realized we weren't running the ball, the stopped rushing their OLBs as heavy and just played coverage. They told their DL he'll have to check it down get your hands up. Batted passes. Running around from 3 guys because he's waiting for someone to open up. 

This forum has had this conversation before with AR, when you become 1 dimensional you are setting yourself up for failure with the OL (being told to protect instead of being the aggressor). RBs wasted in the backfield and receiving core telling them to open up when everybody knows you have to pass the ball.  

Seriously they might as well go prime Patriots and go 5 wide with short to intermediate routes with a no huddle. 

2 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

The problem is, our running is so bad that even when we are keeping the defense honest, they can still just focus on the pass. We don't have any one who is going to chug out 2 yard carries then break out a 20 plus yarder. 

What many are arguing is even if the run game sucks you still must run the ball. It's not an excuse to abandon it. And for the record Sproles was running fine. 4.8 yards per carry so we can't even say the run game sucked against the Chiefs. We abandoned it for no apparent reason.

I don't understand how everybody keeps saying that the running game was atrocious and using that as reason to not blame Pederson. The backs were playing just fine. The second drive was bad, to say the least. Below is a list of the drives, with the running plays listed in each of them. Even if you throw out the 10th drive, where we were in a must-pass situation, it's horrendous. It was pretty much a 1-possession game the entire time up until that drive. I'm fine with giving him the rest of the season to prove me wrong but I've seen nothing to disprove exactly what I've said since the beginning of his first season - he's simply not intelligent enough to be an NFL head coach. He comes up with a nice gameplan and is a solid coach in between the games, but he can't be trusted with play calling, clock management, in-game adjustments, etc. Put him as an o-coordinator behind an offensive-mind coach and he could be fine but that's the highest he'll go after he's eventually fired from this job. This isn't a one-time problem. He's said this weekly after each game and fails to correct himself. There were four key offensive players who made comments after the game, so it's clearly getting to be a problem for the team as well.

1) 3 run, 7 pass → 12, 6, 3
2) 3 run, 4 pass → -2, 2, -3
3) 1 run, 6 pass → 6
4) 1 run, 1 pass → 11
5) 1 run, 5 pass → 3
6) 2 run, 5 pass → 8, 3
7) 1 run, 9 pass → 5
8) 1 run, 3 pass →-2
9) 0 run, 3 pass
10) 0 run, 13 pass
11) 0 run, 1 pass

1 hour ago, fly eagles fly said:

I don't understand how everybody keeps saying that the running game was atrocious and using that as reason to not blame Pederson. The backs were playing just fine. The second drive was bad, to say the least. Below is a list of the drives, with the running plays listed in each of them. Even if you throw out the 10th drive, where we were in a must-pass situation, it's horrendous. It was pretty much a 1-possession game the entire time up until that drive.

PREACH!!

Archived