Packers hiring former MN Jerry Gray

Pugger

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

According to Tom Silverstein on Twitter the Pack is hiring former MN secondary coach Jerry Gray to replace Jason Simmons, who is going to Carolina to coach their DBs.  I must have missed the report of Simmons leaving...

Simmons left for Carolina a few days ago.  Gray did some remarkable work with Harrison Smith. Can’t wait to see what he does with Savage and Amos. 

Some Jerry Gray data......

Bill Huber:  The Green Bay Packers have filled the lone hole on their coaching staff by hiring Jerry Gray as defensive backs coach.

The hiring was first reported by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Gray will replace Jason Simmons, who joined new coach Matt Rhule in Carolina. Rhule hired Phil Snow as his defensive coordinator; Snow was an assistant coach at Arizona State during Simmons’ college career.

Gray has no ties to either coach Matt LaFleur or defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. On an otherwise-young staff, the 57-year-old Gray stands out in terms of experience (32 years in the NFL as a player and coach) and age (57).

Gray was defensive backs coach for the Minnesota Vikings under Mike Zimmer from 2014 through 2019. Zimmer elected not to retain Gray at the end of the season. He will inherit a group that’s young but experienced. Starting cornerbacks Jaire Alexander and Kevin King were the Packers’ top picks in 2018 and 2017, respectively, and Josh Jackson was a second-round pick in 2018. Safeties Adrian Amos (free agent) and Darnell Savage (first round) were added in 2019. They helped the Packers finish sixth in opponent passer rating (after finishing 28th in 2018) and third in interception percentage. Minnesota was 10th in passer rating and fourth in interception percentage.

From a technique perspective, he said he likes to let his players do what they do best rather than rigidly stick to press or off coverage.

“To me, being a teacher, it's your job to figure out what the guy can do best,” Gray said. “And if you can do that, the guy will play for you. Any time a player has success, they're going to love you as a coach. If they don't, they're going to hate you as a coach. That's the bottom line.”

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Simmons left for Carolina a few days ago.  Gray did some remarkable work with Harrison Smith. Can’t wait to see what he does with Savage and Amos. 

His work with Anthony Harris is more remarkable than his work with Smith IMO. Harris was a UDFA but was a top 10 at the safety position in 2019 and about to earn a huge dollar contract either in MN or somewhere else.

I Like this move. He's also been a DC twice before. Why did MN let him go?

A first-round draft pick by the Los Angeles Rams in 1985, he made four consecutive Pro Bowls from 1986 to 1989. He intercepted a whopping 19 passes in those four seasons, taking two back for touchdowns and adding four fumble recoveries. Gray would add nine more picks later in his career for a total of 28 before retiring after the 1993 season at the age of 31.

Edited by Arthur Penske

15 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I Like this move. He's also been a DC twice before. Why did MN let him go?

Failure requires some degree of human sacrifice.........
Zim's keeping that "knock on the door" a few feet from his still.....but it's getting closer. 

Although I cant claim to knowing much (at all) about Jason Simmons (or either guy really....) - I like this hire as well.

I think we are set at safety....but....when I saw Rhodes this year, he looked like he would be a pretty darned good strong safety.  Dude likes to hit and can hit.  I know he's regressed in coverage and can be handsy, but I'd love him as a third corner playing near the LOS.

44 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

People are advocating for Rhodes open? Did you watch him play this year? He’d give up a big play and magically have a 2 play  injury every time he gave one up. Want nothing to do with that chump

Strange things happen when you play for a new contract as opposed to getting paid 20 billion dollars.