Ravens Mock Draft Simulators

sp6488

2 hours ago, ravens5520 said:

I might lean draft 2!! Love your first 3 selections. Mims, Baum and Winfield

1 hour ago, Danand said:

It is completely against my own preference with interior oline early, but draft 2 is my favorite as well.

I am really torn about which of the two others I would have as my second choice though

I think my preference would be draft 2 as well. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but Baun and Winfield are really nice versatile pieces that would fit incredibly well in our D. Winfield Jr. makes me think of an incredibly rich man's Anthony Levine.

And then Mims is a physical freak at receiver that would have time to grow into the role. I really like the idea of us not necessarily trying to hit a home run by trading up for one of the top guys in a given draft, but instead building up a quality pipeline of guys in the 2nd - 4th rounds almost every year, kind of similar to what the Steelers have done in the past.

Quarantine's leaving me with little choice but to start getting more into the draft so took my first shot at a mock today:

first-mock

Feel like Kinlaw falling to 28 is a big steal, no? Probably didn't need to double dip on Hamler and Aiyuk but couldn't resist the idea of adding that much explosiveness to the offense. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Quarantine's leaving me with little choice but to start getting more into the draft so took my first shot at a mock today:

first-mock

Feel like Kinlaw falling to 28 is a big steal, no? Probably didn't need to double dip on Hamler and Aiyuk but couldn't resist the idea of adding that much explosiveness to the offense. 

Kinlaw at 28 would be incredible. I would love the draft to shake out like this personally.

• Like 1

Posted what’s probably my favorite of the bunch. With our tanks upfront, Baun doesn’t need to have the same length as our edge threats of the past. He can be quick technique guy that can bend the arc and wreck havoc.

Then on offense I couldn’t pass up on a RB with All Pro potential falling, it’s something I can see happening somewhat IRL due to his collegiate workload, positional devaluing, other similarly ranked backs (JK Dobbins, Clyde Edwards-Helair, etc), and enough teams already having their featured back.

From there I threw two IOL options that I think have pro bowl potential, that have plenty of collegiate experience, in Biadasz and Kindley. We can’t hope to replace Yanda’s cerebral talents on the line, but with our current crop plus these new recruits I would feel EXTREMELY confident in the position group moving forward.

Hamler’s fit is obvious. With Taylor, Ingram, and Hill toting the rock... having Hollywood and Hamler terrorize DBs deep off of PA would be quite the combo.

My only annoyance is that I wasn’t able to address the ILB position with the level of talent that I would’ve preferred. So instead I took two guys with “potential” to try and alleviate that dearth; Phillips as a very young linebacker (currently only 20) and Taylor as an athletic freak that didn’t REALLY start playing football until college. Both struggle with their trigger/instincts at this point, but have plenty of developmental potential.

That said IRL if this scenario presented itself, I would look to trade up to the top of the 3rd round for Jordyn Brooks, who I see as a future stud. Has the athleticism of Taylor but with a reliable trigger. In this scenario we could’ve packaged the Kindley pick (comp 3rd) and the Willekes pick (4th) with a team like the Jets or Jags in exchange for their 3rd and 5th round picks. 

Whatever pick we could acquire for Gus Edwards along with no longer having to gamble on “potential” LBs late could be spent on the developmental defensive backs that I didn’t get to address.

14-BC442-C-A229-4319-B59-A-10-E3-A37-E0-

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

@diamondbull424 You were big on Nick Chubb coming out, who do think is better between he and Taylor? Just from a pure ability standpoint.

Chubb from an athletic, burst and speed standpoint. Downside was his injury, while Jonathan Williams has a lot of wear and tear. 

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

@diamondbull424 You were big on Nick Chubb coming out, who do think is better between he and Taylor? Just from a pure ability standpoint.

Was a very good question and it was one I asked myself recently. Didn’t have an answer at the time. So I just dived into both Chubb and Taylor’s tape; along with highlights/tape from other RBs of the past.

Have to say all things considered I would have Taylor ranked above Nick Chubb. From a pure run in between the tackles perspective, I MIGHT give the edge to Chubb (depending on scheme); he’s more powerful and brute and you can tell he runs angry, similar to guys like Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, and Emmitt Smith. When Chubb runs its violent and he wants to hurt people. Football is about proving his metal, he’s a warrior battling in the coliseum. You don’t want to tackle Chubb in the open field, not because you can’t wrap him up but because he’s stronger than you and it’s going to feel like a car accident every time. Best to stop him in the backfield before he picks up steam.

On the other hand, Taylor is a runner with a mindset more closely resembling an Arian Foster or Edgerrin James, he will mix it up if he NEEDS to, if that’s how the play is designed; he won’t let you punk him and will bring the heat, but like water he would PREFER to follow the path of least resistance. You don’t want to run into him in the open field because he can outrun your angle, put a move on you, or run you over.

The reason why many weren’t as high on Chubb coming out was because he’s less scheme versatile. You want him in a power man/gap scheme where he can practice patience, find his lane, and then punish people. In a zone scheme where it’s one cut and go, he wasn’t nearly as proficient... more of an above average option while Sony Michel was good to great in that capacity, thereby giving the appearance to many that Michel was the superior runner... when in fact he was not.

Taylor however is great as both a gap power and zone scheme runner. What’s more he’s also a very good receiver. It was an underutilized skillset at Wisconsin similar to Ray Rice receiving ability being underutilized coming out of Rutgers.

With Chubb I saw a slower, more powerful Ezekiel Elliot with a lower tier receiving skillset. With Taylor I see a souped up Arian Foster.

I rated Chubb a high Tier 4 prospect coming out as a perennial pro bowl talent, with All Pro potential. Taylor on the other hand after more observation is a low to mid Tier 5 prospect, with legit All Pro talent and advanced HOF potential.

Taylor might be downgraded due to his snap count, but similar to Rice he had high mileage but also display high durability. If we go RB in this draft, he’s the best option with the best fit IMO.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Chubb from an athletic, burst and speed standpoint. Downside was his injury, while Jonathan Williams has a lot of wear and tear. 

Chubb has superior explosion and power for sure, but Taylor is the superior athlete IMO as he can just do more things on a football field that can cause problems.

I was amazed at some of the angles to the corner he could outrun or when he would turn the boosters on or with how fluid his release is out of the backfield was for his size or his ability to run legit routes out of the backfield, or track the ball over his shoulder as a receiver. All that to say his movement skills were better than what my initial perception of him was.

Chubb and Taylor had similar enough agility numbers (3 cone and short shuttle) at their respective combines, but looking at the tape it looks like Chubb likely ran his best times in those events respective to his efforts on tape, while Taylor ran on the lower end of his times respective to his efforts on tape. Chubb’s agility score is 56th percentile and Taylor’s is 66th percentile, but the tape feels like JT could’ve possibly squeezed out another 6 percentile points in that category.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

If we go RB in this draft, he’s the best option with the best fit IMO.

Great summary DB. 

I think there's a good chance we take at least one of your Wisconsin trio there. Different from the other two- Taylor is a luxury more than a need, but god would he be fun in this offense. It's kind of cruel that in a draft where the Ravens don't have a big need at the position, we have 2 different guys coming out with play styles similar to past club legends. CEH- Ray Rice and Jonathan Taylor- Jamal Lewis.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Chubb has superior explosion and power for sure, but Taylor is the superior athlete IMO as he can just do more things on a football field that can cause problems.

I was amazed at some of the angles to the corner he could outrun or when he would turn the boosters on or with how fluid his release is out of the backfield was for his size or his ability to run legit routes out of the backfield, or track the ball over his shoulder as a receiver. All that to say his movement skills were better than what my initial perception of him was.

Chubb and Taylor had similar enough agility numbers (3 cone and short shuttle) at their respective combines, but looking at the tape it looks like Chubb likely ran his best times in those events respective to his efforts on tape, while Taylor ran on the lower end of his times respective to his efforts on tape. Chubb’s agility score is 56th percentile and Taylor’s is 66th percentile, but the tape feels like JT could’ve possibly squeezed out another 6 percentile points in that category.

I don't think we disagree much here, if at all. This is also from memory from when I saw Nick Chubb who I really liked, but I feel he just has a little bit more oomphh when running - basically what you say about running angry. Even as a downhill runner I see Chubb being able to make start and stop and jump cuts and then explode, where I saw Williams being the better player when it comes to "flowing" with the play.

I do feel CEH would be the better fit for taking snaps in the pistol, but if we went with Williams, I hope we could get something in return for Edwards.

10 minutes ago, Danand said:

I don't think we disagree much here, if at all. This is also from memory from when I saw Nick Chubb who I really liked, but I feel he just has a little bit more oomphh when running - basically what you say about running angry. Even as a downhill runner I see Chubb being able to make start and stop and jump cuts and then explode, where I saw Williams being the better player when it comes to "flowing" with the play.

I do feel CEH would be the better fit for taking snaps in the pistol, but if we went with Williams, I hope we could get something in return for Edwards.

Yeah initially off memory, Chubb felt like he might win for me as well. But after rewatching the tapes of Chubb in college and those of Jonathan TAYLOR (lol you’ve been calling him Williams for some reason I initially didn’t want to be that guy in the previous post, but at this point I kind of have to be “that guy”), along with other great RBs of the past (its my process so that I can get a great feel for how each guy moves in comparison to other past greats), and then stacking them into my RB rankings it became clear that JT was the superior option. So I can see why you might feel that way. That and Chubb does have the superior Spark-X score. 

37 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Great summary DB. 

I think there's a good chance we take at least one of your Wisconsin trio there. Different from the other two- Taylor is a luxury more than a need, but god would he be fun in this offense. It's kind of cruel that in a draft where the Ravens don't have a big need at the position, we have 2 different guys coming out with play styles similar to past club legends. CEH- Ray Rice and Jonathan Taylor- Jamal Lewis.

Yeah honestly this draft reminds me of the Lamar Jackson draft with regard to QB. Personally, I know there were some Flacco haters, but I was not one of them. I thought he was adequate enough to take a well built team to the promise land... and that’s as good as it typically gets for most franchises. I remembered saying the only way I would move on from Flacco is if it were for a special QB talent. The only two options in that draft I thought could get me to move on from Flacco were Jackson and Mayfield, in no particular order.

Conversely in this draft, while we are pretty stacked at RB with Ingram, Edwards, and Hill... none of them are All Pro talents and with Ingram I think while he’s certainly skilled, he’s slightly below Pro Bowl level as a talent but benefited from the Big Truss wagon (no disrespect to his ability, love the guy, just saying). Plus Ingram is 30 and the coaches for some reason felt like they couldn’t turn to Gus Edwards in the playoff game, and I’ve been on the record with how I feel Hill is a great athlete but has below average vision.

So if the Ravens were to draft JT, be it first round or more ideally in the second round, it honestly wouldn’t shock me at all. When Daniel Jeremiah made his “controversial mock draft” where he gave us a RB, that’s not what shocked me, what shocked me was that he went with DeAndre Swift. Even before doing a deep dive on Taylor, I felt the best RB fits for this franchise would come from either JT or CEH. After doing a deeper look, I’m even more convinced in that assessment. Though maybe the team, after tipping the Hollywood pick last year, is feeding DJ the wrong RB info so as to keep teams off of the JT scent just long enough for them to pounce.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

That said IRL if this scenario presented itself, I would look to trade up to the top of the 3rd round for Jordyn Brooks, who I see as a future stud. Has the athleticism of Taylor but with a reliable trigger. In this scenario we could’ve packaged the Kindley pick (comp 3rd) and the Willekes pick (4th) with a team like the Jets or Jags in exchange for their 3rd and 5th round picks. 

Just double checking myself with my actual trade value chart that I use vs some website that claims to calculate for you and those numbers are definitely off. Would more likely require 92 and 129 and maybe even our 7th to get it done, especially with this being a very “Day 2 heavy draft” IMO. I feel like the trade discounts are more likely to be seen trading up in round 1, but teams will be less likely to want to move from those day 2 spots for sure.