Mock drafts !!!!

Gibster16226

I honestly don't like anyone at #49 (second round) for us.  We have bigger needs and players who can make a bigger first year impact.  This draft class is not said to be strong in terms of impactful let alone sure fire TE prospects. I think that they can find  prospect in round, three, four, six and possibly even round seven.

That said, I always remind people that HOF TE Shannon Sharpe was not a first, second, third or fourth round draft choice.  However, it takes those players some time to develop as opposed to blue or red chip prospects.  Are there players that I like? Yes, but not at #49. I think there will be an IOL, Safety, ILB, WR or even RB with a higher grade and that could make a better impact or bang for the draft position buck (value) at #49. The prospects that I put in bold, I wouldn't mind seeing one of them in Steelers black n gold. Honestly, if the Steelers didn't draft a TE, I would not be upset. I would be content with Vannett, Gentry and a free agent or CSW.  If they could get Vance at a reduced salary, I would try to keep him.

Cole Kmet 6'6 255 Notre Dame

Thaddius Moss 6'3 250 LSU

Jared Pinkney 6'4 255 Vanderbilt

Colby Parkinson 6'7 245 Stanford

Adam Trautman 6'5 250 Dayton

Harrison Bryant 6'5 245  Florida Atlantic

Devin Asiasi 6;4 280 UCLA

Here's two sites that I read up on prospects. 

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-Tight-Ends-2020-NFL-Draft.asp

http://walterfootball.com/draft2020TE.php

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree about the TE spot. We’re in a bind. No good TE’s on the roster, no money, and a weak TE class. Also, that’s a position that takes time to develop, which we don’t have a lot of before our window is closed. I wouldn’t be upset if we tried to trade for OJ Howard. 

I don't really want to see us trading draft picks unless it is for additional picks. I guess the exception would be for an established player.  OJ has not reached his potential and unless it was a lower to mid tier pick, I would pass. The best option would be to sign Vance for a more cap friendly number through bonus or expanded contract that can break up the bonus and lesson the cap hits.  

Truthfully, I would be fine with Nick Vannett as the starter and Gentry, CSW, Kevin Radar fighting it out for the remaining two positions.  Maybe they sign a cap casualty vet.  Not sure that TE would be fixed if Vance leaves and they draft someone. As you said, it is a year or two of development if they draft someone.

44 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Best case scenario is retain Dupree and McDonald going into the draft.  That narrows down the needs to IOL, IDL, WR and S.

And RB. :D:D:D All RB jokes aside: Do you really see WR as a position of need or luxury? 

My thought is that the position is good with Ju Ju, Dionte and Washington as the top three.  I like what Cain offers, though he is more of an unknown. That is my top four. That leaves the list below competing for one or two spots:

5A. Amarah Darboh - - I think he probably has the best chance to make it at #5.

5B. Anthony Johnson

5C. Johnny Holton

5D. Jamaal Custis

6 A. Ryan Switzer

6 B. Quadree Henderson

Not exactly household names or anyone who could potentially make an impact or tear it up on the field. Although Holton may have been more effective with Ben tossing balls deep to him. This is the year of WR in the draft, so there may be value there. That is why I had asked you (or anyone else): Is WR a need or a luxury?

I don't see how anyone can suggest that RB is not a need for the Steelers. They have one proven guy, who happens to get hurt a lot in Conner. Then, they have a lot of "potential" guys (1-3 question marks):

Kerrith Whyte ??
Ralph Webb ???
Benny Snell Jr. ?
Jaylen Samuels ??
Darrin Hall ???
Trey Edmunds ??

I'm sorry, but not one of these guys is giving any other team's DC anything to worry about. If Conner gets hurt again, the Steelers are screwed. There will be 3 or 4 guys available at 2.49 who could come in and make an impact right away.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I don't see how anyone can suggest that RB is not a need for the Steelers. They have one proven guy, who happens to get hurt a lot in Conner. Then, they have a lot of "potential" guys (1-3 question marks):

Kerrith Whyte ??
Ralph Webb ???
Benny Snell Jr. ?
Jaylen Samuels ??
Darrin Hall ???
Trey Edmunds ??

I'm sorry, but not one of these guys is giving any other team's DC anything to worry about. If Conner gets hurt again, the Steelers are screwed. There will be 3 or 4 guys available at 2.49 who could come in and make an impact right away.

Agreed.

I can see Snell losing 10-15 lbs and getting better ala Bell some years back but I don’t see it.

Conner hasn’t stayed healthy and having another solid rb would allow them to rely on the run game if Big Ben doesn’t come all the way back.

57 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

And RB. :D:D:D All RB jokes aside: Do you really see WR as a position of need or luxury? 

My thought is that the position is good with Ju Ju, Dionte and Washington as the top three.  I like what Cain offers, though he is more of an unknown. That is my top four. That leaves the list below competing for one or two spots:

5A. Amarah Darboh - - I think he probably has the best chance to make it at #5.

5B. Anthony Johnson

5C. Johnny Holton

5D. Jamaal Custis

6 A. Ryan Switzer

6 B. Quadree Henderson

Not exactly household names or anyone who could potentially make an impact or tear it up on the field. Although Holton may have been more effective with Ben tossing balls deep to him. This is the year of WR in the draft, so there may be value there. That is why I had asked you (or anyone else): Is WR a need or a luxury?

The need a deep threat. Someone with speed to threaten deep.  Jalen Reagor.  Maybe Justin Jefferson.  Maybe Brandon Aiyuk

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

They need a deep threat. Someone with speed to threaten deep.  Jalen Reagor.  Maybe Justin Jefferson.  Maybe Brandon Aiyuk

I thought that both Cain and Darboh would fit the deep threat. I am not a huge fan of Holton, but realistically, he couldn't do much without Big Ben at the helm. Both Justin Jefferson and Brandon Aiyuk would probably have to be the pick at 49.  I am guessing that Reagor would be gone at that point.  I don't think I would want to invest in WR at that pick unless they were the BPA.  I look at that as a luxury pick as opposed to a need like IOL or DT with losing Hargraves and needing to upgrade from McCullers.  Do you know of any speedsters that could be drafted a la Mike Wallace or Sammy Coates in the fourth round say?

I like Cain for the deep role. Martavius Bryant and Sammie Coates showed that with the right guys around you (and throwing you the football) you do not have to be a very good receiver to be the long guy. 

I would really like to stay away from WR in the draft this year, despite the draft depth at the position. I would like to take a look at a Philip Dorsett in FA if the price is right. Let him come in, be your 4/5 and just be a difference maker with his speed. Brings something to the table our current lot doesn't have. 

1a) JuJu
1b) Johnson
3) Washington
4) Dorsett
5) Cain
6) Holton (strictly gunner)

I could live with a 6 like that and use the draft resources elsewhere. If you tell me Cain can be a gunner, eliminate Holton and just give me 5. 

• Like 1