Mock drafts !!!!

Gibster16226

Here is my off-season thoughts and potential draft picks in a perfect world.  I am going away from the board idea (earlier in the thread) that I suggested that actually caused more questions than answers: 

I resign UFA's OLB/Edge Bud Dupree, SS Sean Davis (1-year deal), TE Nick Vannett, LS Kameron Cannaday - - I doubt Davis is up for big $$$. I sign him to a one year deal to help him make himself more marketable and to provide the team with solid depth/insurance at both safety positions. 

RFA Signed: T Matt Feiler, Slot CB Mike Hilton, DE LT Walton, OL Zach Banner, S Jordan Dangerfield, DE Levon Hooks

I do not resign: NG/DT Javon Hargraves, TE Vance McDonald (club option), CB Art Burns, OG BJ Finney, ILB Tyler Matekavich - - Vance is strictly a $$$ move. I love Dirty red, but Robert Spillane can fill his role and U. Grant will compete for Barron's old role/spot.

Cuts to free cap money: OLB Anthony Chickello, ILB Mark Barron, DL Tyson Alualu (tough cut) - - I hate cutting Tyson, but he is 32 and I have Buggs and Walton. Use the extra money to help sign Billings and my replacement for Barron (Schobert). I would be happy to dance with U. Grant, but Schobert is a baller.

Other Team signings: NG Andrew Billings from the Bengals to replace Hargraves.  Joe Schobert ILB from Cleveland to replace Barron - - The middle is now locked up like a steel drum! Billings to stop the run, Bush and Schobert in the middle at ILB and Minkah back deep! 

Draft Needs: Interior OL, TE, Safety depth, DL Depth, OLB Depth, ILB Depth, Punter competition

2nd Round pick - - IOL Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin - - I could go with either LSU OL as well, but I like the Corn-fed, McNasty,  Big Badass. 

3rd Round Comp - - SS Kyle Dugger Lenoir-Rhyne - - Davis'  2021 replacement and possible competition for Edmonds spot if he does not take a step up in his game.  

4th Round A - -  RB AJ Dillon Boston College - - Kinda hate the pick with Connor and Snell, but too good to pass up value-wise. I would have preferred a faster type of RB. He may well be competing with Snell for starting spot in 2021 if Connors goes down again. 

4th Round B - -   TE Coby Parkinson Stanford - - Not the typical type of Steelers TE, but he may provide some good red-zone targets and can improve and get stronger. 

6th Round - - Edge Alton Robinson Syracuse  -- My last few mocks I took the Edge from Florida. This kid is all over the draft boards too. He doesn't look like a great pass rusher, but he is a football player. With some coaching, I am counting on him improving his overall game at OLB. 

7th Round - - NG/DT Leki Fotu Utah - - I love the NG's.  No more Mt. McCullers who never showed me anything near what I thought he would be.  A strong, mean, and tough kid who will bring back the no run zone in Pittsburgh. Strictly NG2 and Goal line defense. Teams will no longer pound the ball against the Steelers run defense. Should be a steal value-wise here.  

Recap: I am depending on Big Ben returning and even if he isn't Big Ben of  2016/2017, he is far better than anything that we had last year which equates to a minimum of at least 10 wins.  I sign an IOL who can run block to help the rushing attack. Dillon was a hard pick, but he will battle with Snell, Samuels, and Whyte for time.  TE is not going to get fixed completely, but I am good going with Vannett as the starter. CSW may be simply a blocking TE and Gentry and or Cody can hopefully resemble Outlaw next year.

On defense: Sign Bud to keep the defense intact. Hopefully, Tuitt and Cam stay healthy.  It is somewhat of a gamble letting Tyson go and depending on Buggs and Walton should one go down.  I like signing Billings as the NG and then drafting another to help the middle of the run defense. I am also depending on Cam and Tuitt to generate that pass rush inside from the Nickel. 

Adding Schobert makes our entire Line Backer group special again.  He's hopefully could be signed for a better deal than Mark Barron (I.E. the money could be spread out/converted to bonus) (whatever is necessary to sign him).  Dugger and Davis provide deep depth (the safety position).  I feel better with them than using Dangerfield and Allen. Edge is my only real concern as I am depending on Ola and Tupac to replace Chickello. Sixth-round pass rushers/OLB's usually don't make an impact. Hoping that Robinson is strictly special teams for a year or so. 

I think Schobert would cost entirely too much money for us to bring in. Would love it, but seems really unlikely. I think a more likely outcome to replace Barron would be a Darron Lee or Deone Bucannon style sub package player. Line up Bush and Williams with Lee/Bucannon/Gilbert. I am not ecstatic of either of those options, but I think cost wise, they are more realistic on 1 year prove it deals in a good defense as part time players. 

Also, not a fan of cutting Alualu. He was GREAT for us last year in his role. Without Hargrave, I am not willing to give up our third guy. Hope for a nice jump from Buggs, but I think we need that Vet insurance. 

Im not sure Davis comes back. He doesn't sound willing to take a 1 year prove it deal. I would like to see him back on that type of deal though. I like having 3 safeties on the field and Minkah would allow for Davis and Edmunds to be very flexible and box heavy. I just don't see it though. 

I do like Billings as our NT in a 20-30% role, but he would also mean I really wanted to keep Tyson so we can have 3-4 guys deep in Nickle/Sub packages. I think we are going to have plenty of short term, low dollar Vet options for NT. 

Cutting Vance and then not addressing TE in either FA or until the 4th round of the draft is a little scary, but its a hole of a position league wide. I expect Vance back, hopefully on a new deal.

I dont know much about the players in the draft, but I do like the positions - except for a 4th round running back. Just adds to the clutter. Im completely against RB in this draft, but I can at least understand part of the 2nd round RB candidate, provided he can completely change the landscape of our offense (which I greatly doubt). But a 4th round guy just adds to the mess and 4 straight mid-Round RBs -- a position that doesnt need that sort of attention. Unless he is the second coming of Corey Dillon, I pass. 

All in all, good work @Steeler Hitman 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Here is my off-season thoughts and potential draft picks in a perfect world.  I am going away from the board idea (earlier in the thread) that I suggested that actually caused more questions than answers: 

I resign UFA's OLB/Edge Bud Dupree, SS Sean Davis (1-year deal), TE Nick Vannett, LS Kameron Cannaday - - I doubt Davis is up for big $$$. I sign him to a one year deal to help him make himself more marketable and to provide the team with solid depth/insurance at both safety positions. 

I personally love the resigning of Davis... I have been on for this for a while... In my mock offseason I kept DIrty Red but let Davis go, but I think we can do it the other way better.

RFA Signed: T Matt Feiler, Slot CB Mike Hilton, DE LT Walton, OL Zach Banner, S Jordan Dangerfield, DE Levon Hooks

I would not commit money to Walton or Hooks.  Go with the young dudes.

I do not resign: NG/DT Javon Hargraves, TE Vance McDonald (club option), CB Art Burns, OG BJ Finney, ILB Tyler Matekavich - - Vance is strictly a $$$ move. I love Dirty red, but Robert Spillane can fill his role and U. Grant will compete for Barron's old role/spot.

Agree here.... we can't keep Hargraves.  McDonald is too meh...

Cuts to free cap money: OLB Anthony Chickello, ILB Mark Barron, DL Tyson Alualu (tough cut) - - I hate cutting Tyson, but he is 32 and I have Buggs and Walton. Use the extra money to help sign Billings and my replacement for Barron (Schobert). I would be happy to dance with U. Grant, but Schobert is a baller.

I am down with all of these, including Alualu.  Yes, he was OK for Tuitt, but is expensive and irrelevant if everyone is back.  Gotta let Buggs on the field.  Adding a NG (or 2) makes this position too heavy, IMO.

Other Team signings: NG Andrew Billings from the Bengals to replace Hargraves.  Joe Schobert ILB from Cleveland to replace Barron - - The middle is now locked up like a steel drum! Billings to stop the run, Bush and Schobert in the middle at ILB and Minkah back deep! 

I'm with @Dcash4 on this, I think $$ is too tight without addressing extensions and or resignings.  Maybe a Billings, but IDK we can get a Schobert.  I like the idea, but I need to get more into the $$ on it.  Especially with Davis coming back and the $$ with that, I just don't know if we can make it work.

Draft Needs: Interior OL, TE, Safety depth, DL Depth, OLB Depth, ILB Depth, Punter competition

2nd Round pick - - IOL Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin - - I could go with either LSU OL as well, but I like the Corn-fed, McNasty,  Big Badass. 

Love it.  Great pick.  Will be a Steeler for decades.

3rd Round Comp - - SS Kyle Dugger Lenoir-Rhyne - - Davis'  2021 replacement and possible competition for Edmonds spot if he does not take a step up in his game.  

If he is here, I am running to the podium.  I do not feel like that is going to happen, TBH.  I think he is long gone.  But, I do like the pick.

4th Round A - -  RB AJ Dillon Boston College - - Kinda hate the pick with Connor and Snell, but too good to pass up value-wise. I would have preferred a faster type of RB. He may well be competing with Snell for starting spot in 2021 if Connors goes down again. 

Sorry, totally against this pick.  Anything near a RB in this draft is a waste.  We need edge depth and DL depth MUCH more.  I'd rather take a WR falling than another RB.

4th Round B - -   TE Coby Parkinson Stanford - - Not the typical type of Steelers TE, but he may provide some good red-zone targets and can improve and get stronger. 

Gotta get a TE, I just hope its better than him.  He is a more of a developmental guy, and we have enough of those.

6th Round - - Edge Alton Robinson Syracuse  -- My last few mocks I took the Edge from Florida. This kid is all over the draft boards too. He doesn't look like a great pass rusher, but he is a football player. With some coaching, I am counting on him improving his overall game at OLB. 

I like the idea, but not the pick.  Robinson is a streaky player, and has some red flags.

7th Round - - NG/DT Leki Fotu Utah - - I love the NG's.  No more Mt. McCullers who never showed me anything near what I thought he would be.  A strong, mean, and tough kid who will bring back the no run zone in Pittsburgh. Strictly NG2 and Goal line defense. Teams will no longer pound the ball against the Steelers run defense. Should be a steal value-wise here.  

I'm OK with this pick.  Billings on a one year deal and then he becomes the NG.

Recap: I am depending on Big Ben returning and even if he isn't Big Ben of  2016/2017, he is far better than anything that we had last year which equates to a minimum of at least 10 wins.  I sign an IOL who can run block to help the rushing attack. Dillon was a hard pick, but he will battle with Snell, Samuels, and Whyte for time.  TE is not going to get fixed completely, but I am good going with Vannett as the starter. CSW may be simply a blocking TE and Gentry and or Cody can hopefully resemble Outlaw next year.

On defense: Sign Bud to keep the defense intact. Hopefully, Tuitt and Cam stay healthy.  It is somewhat of a gamble letting Tyson go and depending on Buggs and Walton should one go down.  I like signing Billings as the NG and then drafting another to help the middle of the run defense. I am also depending on Cam and Tuitt to generate that pass rush inside from the Nickel. 

Adding Schobert makes our entire Line Backer group special again.  He's hopefully could be signed for a better deal than Mark Barron (I.E. the money could be spread out/converted to bonus) (whatever is necessary to sign him).  Dugger and Davis provide deep depth (the safety position).  I feel better with them than using Dangerfield and Allen. Edge is my only real concern as I am depending on Ola and Tupac to replace Chickello. Sixth-round pass rushers/OLB's usually don't make an impact. Hoping that Robinson is strictly special teams for a year or so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I think Schobert would cost entirely too much money for us to bring in. Would love it, but seems really unlikely. I think a more likely outcome to replace Barron would be a Darron Lee or Deone Bucannon style sub package player. Line up Bush and Williams with Lee/Bucannon/Gilbert. I am not ecstatic of either of those options, but I think cost wise, they are more realistic on 1 year prove it deals in a good defense as part time players. 

I am hoping that Schobert is not going to cost $12 million a season.  I also believe that they may have more of a chance of perhaps signing him or someone like Darron Lee by giving more money in slasy bonus that can be spread out over the length of the entire deal. Of course, that gives some cap relief now, but gives them some problems when it is time to pay at the end. We saw this with AB's deal and the dead money. Schobert is young and would be a nice player to pair next to Bush. Actually I wouldn't be upset with Lee either. I was in favor of trading for and signing him before the drafting of Bush. 

Also, not a fan of cutting Alualu. He was GREAT for us last year in his role. Without Hargrave, I am not willing to give up our third guy. I hope for a nice jump from Buggs, but I think we need that Vet insurance.

I cannot disagree. This is where I gambled. I would love to sign him to a cheaper deal.  The problem is that he is 32 (not ancient), but not at an age where you shouldn't be looking for a replacement to take over. Tyson is a good guy and a great role player for the Steelers. He is all I had hoped Dan McCullers would be.>:( In a perfect world, I would retain him for a lower salary, but in reality, that won't happen when someone will pay him better than our cap will allow and he earned it.

I'm not sure Davis comes back. He doesn't sound willing to take a 1 year prove-it deal. I would like to see him back on that type of deal though. I like having 3 safeties on the field and Minkah would allow for Davis and Edmunds to be very flexible and box heavy. I just don't see it though. 

My thought on this and I could be completely wrong. I would be surprised if someone were willing to pay and commit any significant second contract money to Davis based on his health and up and down play.  I think a one-year prove-it deal makes him more $$$ in the long run. Either the Steelers commit to him or another team would especially if he stays healthy and has a solid year either rotating or starting for Edmunds.  He is a smart football player and I think he would benefit from having a great safety like Minkah opposite him.  Maybe I am off, but I would definitely try to pitch that idea. Several players have benefitted from the one-year prove-it type deals. Safety depth is paper-thin and he could fill in at either spot. I see great value and security keeping him. Is this possible? I hope so.

I do like Billings as our NT in a 20-30% role, but he would also mean I really wanted to keep Tyson so we can have 3-4 guys deep in Nickle/Sub packages. I think we are going to have plenty of short term, low dollar Vet options for NT. 

I agree that there will be more options at NG and that the options should be more accommodating to our salary cap that a top tier DT. With our LB corp getting better, I want to improve our run defense. We have properly adapted to being able to generate a pass rush and defend the pass.  However, we need some beef up front.  This was not Hargraves strong point. We have Tuitt and Cam who play inside in the Nickel, but I would still like the "immovable force" inside like Billings or A'Shaun Robinson. The Tyson cut was not easy. It was strictly money.  Without it, I can't sign an ILB and NG.  Am I being penny wise and pound foolish with the DL depth, but with the salary cap and only having six picks, there is only so much that I "realistically" can do.  I tried to pick the best place for the hole.

Cutting Vance and then not addressing TE in either FA or until the 4th round of the draft is a little scary, but its a hole of a position league wide. I expect Vance back, hopefully on a new deal.

The Steelers probably won't cut Vance, but I think they try to do something money-wise with him, Barron and Tyson. They almost have to.  Which Vance do we get? The one that at times looks like an upper-echelon TE or the one who is hurt?  His blocking seemed to get exposed last year when I actually thought his blocking in 2017 -2018  was better than average and our rushing attack was better when he was in the game blocking. None of these draft picks are going to make an impact year one. I don't believe anyone comes out looking like Denver's  Noah Fant for an offense. Our TE needs to be able to block well and catch check-down, underneath and intermediate routes.  I am hoping that CSW will emerge as the blocking TE.  I think Vannett can have a positive effect at TE like Vance did on the offense and working with Big Ben at QB.The hope is Gentry can be the Jessie James TE in our offense in the red zone.  Again, not perfect, but not horrible either. The team has gone with four TE's in the past. Having a healthy Rosie Nix at FB should also help the rushing attack.

I dont know much about the players in the draft, but I do like the positions - except for a 4th round running back. Just adds to the clutter. I'm completely against RB in this draft, but I can at least understand part of the 2nd round RB candidate, provided he can completely change the landscape of our offense (which I greatly doubt). But a 4th round guy just adds to the mess and 4 straight mid-Round RBs -- a position that doesn't need that sort of attention. Unless he is the second coming of Corey Dillon, I pass. 

A very valid point. I struggled with it as well. But in my analysis/draft breakdown I went with value here. I was against the Snell pick last year and thought they should have taken the Edge kid from UGA or the TE from UCLA Moreau. I am not a fan of the RB, but actually wouldn't mind seeing a different type of RB (Speed guy). Like the kids from TCU or the University of Maryland. Rb is somewhat muddled with players and I could have gone with another position of need, but I may have also been over-drafting and passing on a value. 

All in all, good work @Steeler Hitman 

Thanks for your input. It gave me some more things to think about and consider. 

Mock from first-pick.com:
Round 2 Pick 17: Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame
Round 3 Pick 38 (COMP): Lloyd Cushenberry III, C/OG, LSU
Round 4 Pick 18: Zack Moss, RB, Utah
Round 4 Pick 29: Reggie Floyd, FS/SS, Virginia Tech
Round 6 Pick 19: Isaiahh Loudermilk, DT, Wisconsin
Round 7 Pick 18: Richard Moore, OLB, SMU

Mock from thedraftnetwork.com (no comps):
49 Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame
114 Solomon Kindley, IOL Georgia
125 Nick Coe, EDGE Auburn
178 Antoine Brooks Jr., S Maryland
209 A.J. Dillon, RB Boston College

26 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Mock from first-pick.com:
Round 2 Pick 17: Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame
Round 3 Pick 38 (COMP): Lloyd Cushenberry III, C/OG, LSU
Round 4 Pick 18: Zack Moss, RB, Utah
Round 4 Pick 29: Reggie Floyd, FS/SS, Virginia Tech
Round 6 Pick 19: Isaiahh Loudermilk, DT, Wisconsin
Round 7 Pick 18: Richard Moore, OLB, SMU

Mock from thedraftnetwork.com (no comps):
49 Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame
114 Solomon Kindley, IOL Georgia
125 Nick Coe, EDGE Auburn
178 Antoine Brooks Jr., S Maryland
209 A.J. Dillon, RB Boston College

I like the second one considerably more. I don't love the idea of taking a RB at all. Maybe in the 7th, but I don't want to use an important pick on such an unimportant position. I am intrigued by Dillon because he's really big and yet agile and fast. I really like Kmet and Kindley. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like the second one considerably more. I don't love the idea of taking a RB at all. Maybe in the 7th, but I don't want to use an important pick on such an unimportant position. I am intrigued by Dillon because he's really big and yet agile and fast. I really like Kmet and Kindley. 

I took BPA (according to me) for every position. Since the 2nd one did not have the projected comp pick, I didn't see anyone worth taking earlier than Dillon.

We'll have to disagree on the importance of the RB position tho. Without a healthy Conner (or Bell before him), the Steelers are an ineffective team. Even Ben struggles with his receivers not getting open due to defenses not being worried about a running threat.

Edited by cjfollett

11 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I took BPA (according to me) for every position. Since the 2nd one did not have the projected comp pick, I didn't see anyone worth taking earlier than Dillon.

We'll have to disagree on the importance of the RB position tho. Without a healthy Conner (or Bell before him), the Steelers are an ineffective team. Even Ben struggles with his receivers not getting open due to defenses not being worried about a running threat.

Except with a healthy Ben all of our RBs become much better. Our RBs aren't nearly as bad as they looked last year. We couldn't run because nobody respected the arms of Rudolph or Duck. Look at what Samuels did when Ben was healthy. RBs are a dime a dozen. 

5 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am hoping that Schobert is not going to cost $12 million a season.

Mosley got $17M  per last year. Im not saying Schobert is better than Mosley, but he is a good player hitting free agency where guys make 125% of their value. When you consider we will need to pay Watt, potentially are paying Dupree, and will need to pay Minkah -- I dont think throwing another large number is in our benefit. If we cut Barron, I hope the next move is saving us a few bucks as well. 

I think Schobert would be a great fit. Im not willing to pay for it though. 

5 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I would be surprised if someone were willing to pay and commit any significant second contract money to Davis based on his health and up and down play.  I think a one-year prove-it deal makes him more $$$ in the long run.

I completely agree with the 1 year prove it deal being in his best, long term interest. But if I was him and his agent -- Steelers have Minkah, who Davis is not better than, and Edmunds, third year, first round player. Davis would be in a part time role. If I want to prove something in one year, its not happening from the bench. 

Again, I LOVE Davis as that third guy. I think we could make tremendous use out of him, but I dont think he will see the Steelers as the most beneficial location. He will find somewhere he can start and play significant snaps. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Except with a healthy Ben all of our RBs become much better. Our RBs aren't nearly as bad as they looked last year. We couldn't run because nobody respected the arms of Rudolph or Duck. Look at what Samuels did when Ben was healthy. RBs are a dime a dozen. 

Ben did not play enough in 2019 to show how bad the offense can be -- healthy or not -- but the games versus New England and Seattle were not promising.

The Steelers have typical relied on a balanced attack, which a requires a better than run-of-the-mill RB to complement a good QB. The struggle is real, and it works both ways.

I get that there are lots of RBs that can do the basic job, but there are very few who require the attention of the other team's DC.

• Like 1

👔
15 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Mosley got $17M  per last year. I'm not saying Schobert is better than Mosley, but he is a good player hitting free agency where guys make 125% of their value. When you consider we will need to pay Watt, potentially are paying Dupree, and will need to pay Minkah -- I don't think throwing another large number is in our benefit. If we cut Barron, I hope the next move is saving us a few bucks as well. I think Schobert would be a great fit. I'm not willing to pay for it though. 

Overall I agree with you here. I don't see Schobert getting anywhere near what Mosely did. He made less than $3 million last year and is looking to get paid. I would offer a larger bonus (guaranteed money) to be spread out over five years to help ease the cap cost. Maybe it is just a pipe dream, but he is someone that I would target to play alongside Bush.   I do like Schobert. but not at the cost of Watt and Minkah. I see him as a complementary piece for our defense.  I am hoping that this new CBA is passed and the players agree. It should open up some cash for the team going forward. 

I completely agree with the 1 year prove it deal being in his best, long term interest. But if I was him and his agent -- Steelers have Minkah, who Davis is not better than, and Edmunds, third year, first round player. Davis would be in a part time role. If I want to prove something in one year, it's not happening from the bench. 

I am not so sure that Davis would be on the bench that much. Here's why: First: I honestly think that Davis believes that he can beat Edmunds out for the starting SS spot next to Minkah.  Why wouldn't he? Edmunds has not lit it up and this is going to be a big year for Edmunds to prove that he has it. Second: The Steelers would ideally like to play more three-man safety and Edmonds would be the perfect Hybrid fit with his size and speed. (Maybe even better than Mark Barron). Third: Because of the defenses the Steelers employ (Nickel or specialty 65% - 75% of the time), none of the safeties are going to be on the bench that much. This is why I see the Steelers as a perfect fit for Davis for at least another year.

Again, I LOVE Davis as that third guy. I think we could make tremendous use out of him, but I don't think he will see the Steelers as the most beneficial location. He will find somewhere he can start and play significant snaps. 

I am not so sure that the perfect place isn't right here (for the reasons that I listed above). This is all my theory/opinion. If you were looking for a safety, would you invest or pay Davis on a long term contract right now? I think that there are other safer options for teams to choose from. 

16 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I see him as a complementary piece for our defense. 

This is the key for me on Schobert. Im no willing to pay for complementary, or at least not pay that much. I think he easily gets $10M+ and that's too much for me. 

17 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I honestly think that Davis believes that he can beat Edmunds out for the starting SS spot next to Minkah.  Why wouldn't he? Edmunds has not lit it up and this is going to be a big year for Edmunds to prove that he has it.

They are not going to give up on a 3rd year, 23 year old for a guy on a one year deal. Its Edmunds job - at least to start the season and would probably have to fall completely on his face to lose it. He has not been bad, he just hasnt been dynamic which is the highlighted issue when you get drafted in the first round. 

18 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

The Steelers would ideally like to play more three-man safety and Edmonds would be the perfect Hybrid fit with his size and speed. (Maybe even better than Mark Barron). Third: Because of the defenses the Steelers employ (Nickel or specialty 65% - 75% of the time), none of the safeties are going to be on the bench that much. This is why I see the Steelers as a perfect fit for Davis for at least another year.

Ill put these two together. I love 3 safeties, but there are still other snaps to share. Hilton wont come off the field often, and I actually think he will play a role as our third safety this year at times with Sutton playing as a third corner in certain situations. We will still need a second linebacker who will play the most in that spot down to down. So in the nickel, the snaps for Davis would come from the slot (Hilton and Sutton) and second linebacker (probably only in pass heavy situations). That's a lot of sharing. Even if the Steelers play 70% of snaps in sub, Hilton will take snaps over Davis in the slot, we will need to us a LBer at the second ILB slot for the majority, and Sutton still has a future here. I think that's a lot of sharing for Davis to have anywhere near a 50% snap share. I think it would be far more likely he played 30%, maybe 40% on the high end. I am going to guess 30-40% wouldnt be what he is looking for in order to showcase for a bigger contract.

28 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

If you were looking for a safety, would you invest or pay Davis on a long term contract right now?

I actually would like Davis as a third safety on a third safety salary. I think he would be a great fit to be a backup/Sub player. But I dont think that's what he wants at all. He was a 3.1 year starter who lost his spot to Injury and Minkah. I think he is going to go find that starting spot back. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

This is the key for me on Schobert. I'm not willing to pay for complementary, or at least not pay that much. I think he easily gets $10M+ and that's too much for me. 

I agree that he would be in the $10 million range. If I could I would though. The signing would help take the defense from very good to potentially great.

They are not going to give up on a 3rd year, 23 year old for a guy on a one year deal. Its Edmunds job - at least to start the season and would probably have to fall completely on his face to lose it. He has not been bad, he just hasn't been dynamic which is the highlighted issue when you get drafted in the first round.

I am not suggesting that they give up on Edmonds.  I think he may be better in that Nickel-Backer role than SS. He would get snaps as well. The hope is that he makes a Bud Dupree like improvement in his game. He was a half-step to a step behind on a few plays. The hope is he makes up that ground (mentally and he definitely has the physical skills).

I'll put these two together. I love 3 safeties, but there are still other snaps to share. Hilton won't come off the field often, and I actually think he will play a role as our third safety this year at times with Sutton playing as a third corner in certain situations. We will still need a second linebacker who will play the most in that spot down to down. So in the nickel, the snaps for Davis would come from the slot (Hilton and Sutton) and second linebacker (probably only in pass heavy situations). That's a lot of sharing. Even if the Steelers play 70% of snaps in sub, Hilton will take snaps over Davis in the slot, we will need to us a LBer at the second ILB slot for the majority, and Sutton still has a future here. I think that's a lot of sharing for Davis to have anywhere near a 50% snap share. I think it would be far more likely he played 30%, maybe 40% on the high end. I am going to guess 30-40% wouldn't be what he is looking for in order to showcase for a bigger contract.

I see having Davis playing SS next to Minkah and allowing Edmonds to take the Nickel-backer role. He is better suited for that right now. Davis is definitely better than Edmunds in coverage.  That is a lot of speed and allows some flexibility on defense.  We use the term starter, but the game is really so specialized.  I see a role for Davis being on the field a lot, even if Edmonds was the first down SS in the base. I definitely see that role being higher with what the Steelers want to do defensively. They are now not limited by not having the players.   

I actually would like Davis as a third safety on a third safety salary. I think he would be a great fit to be a backup/Sub player. But I don't think that's what he wants at all. He was a 3.1 year starter who lost his spot to Injury and Minkah. I think he is going to go find that starting spot back. 

I don't disagree.  I just am not sure that it isn't here for at least another year and possibly beyond. I could be completely wrong, but I am throwing out some options outside of the conventional box.

• Like 1

I will try the Hitman style for getting a feel for the picks.  Then he can complain to me about the players available

Steelers Franchise Bud.  Keep McDonald.  Keep Hilton, Feiler, Banner and Hooks(ERFA)

Cut Barron, Chick, Foster, Switzer.  Restructure McDonald, Tuitt and Pouncey.

If I list them they will not be there on the next pick.  Ask if you want to check on a player's availability.  Some positions are deeper than others and some are not.

Figure that the Steelers will not sign any FA until after the draft.

Pick #49

OT Trey Adams(Wash), Saahdiq Charles LSU, Jack Driscoll Auburn

IOL Lloyd Cushenberry III LSU, Tyler Biadasz Wis, Nick Harris Wash

WR Justin Jefferson LSU, Tee Higgins Clemson, Tyler Johnson Minn

TE: Jared Pinkney Vandi, Cole Kmet ND, Adam Trautman Dayton

RB Antonio Gibson Memphis, Zack Moss Utah, Eno Benjamin Ari St

QB: Jordan Love Utah St, Jacob Eason Wash, Jalen Hurts Okl

EDGE Julian Okwara ND, Joshua Uche Mich, Curtis Weaver Boise St.

IDL: Ross Blacklock TCU, Justin Madubuike Texas A&M, Raekwon Davis Bama

LB:  Malik Harrison tOSU,

CB: Jaylon Johnson Utah, Noah Igbinoghene Auburn,

S: Ashtyn Davis Cal, Jeremy Chinn S. Ill, K'Von Wallace Clemson

Edited by jebrick