• Mekhi Becton
    • Andrew Thomas
    • Jedrick Wills
    • Tristan Wirfs
    • The Field (Specify)

On 2/16/2020 at 8:01 PM, candyman93 said:

My “game plan”

Round 1: LT (Thomas)

Round 2: Safety (Delpit, he slips to us in my new Mock....and those that say he CANT, would have said that same thing about DK Metcalf last year)

Round 3: RT (Debating on Peart vs Adams...leaning twoards)

Round 3: TE (Moss the Younger)

First we seem to be in lockstep here....I have my 2nd Mock ready, just havent posted it yet.

I love this OT class.... and rank the Top 4. I feel anyone of them are worth a top 15 selection.

1. Thomas 2. Wirffs 3. Becton 4. Willis

Personally I like Wirfs the most as our tackle.

If we were in a normal blocking scheme I would probably look at Andrew Thomas more, but I am thinking in the zone blocking scheme, I want Wirfs.

He is by far the most athletic OT in this draft (everyone is talking about Becton but Wirfs is the more athletic of the two and its not close).

He is a monster of a man who can really move out for the blocks needed in ZBS.

I think he will improve with Technique under the teaching of Bill Callahan and take all that raw talent and become the best tackle in the group.

All that being said I would be very happy with Wills, Thomas or Wirfs at #10, and I would be thrilled with a trade down and still get Becton or Jones later in the first while picking up more draft picks.

I'm really interested to see what happens in free agency and what our draft needs will actually be

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

You don’t like Wills? He was only a RT so he can protect the blindside for Tua

Andrew Thomas and Mekhi Becton both play LT, even though Wirffs was a RT at Iowa, he is the most athletic out of all of the top 4 OT's, so I feel strongly he can switch sides. Willis I feel based on what I saw, will be hurt the most by moving to the Left Side of the line. I feel he will be able to play LT.

17 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Personally I like Wirfs the most as our tackle.

If we were in a normal blocking scheme I would probably look at Andrew Thomas more, but I am thinking in the zone blocking scheme, I want Wirfs.

He is by far the most athletic OT in this draft (everyone is talking about Becton but Wirfs is the more athletic of the two and its not close).

He is a monster of a man who can really move out for the blocks needed in ZBS.

I think he will improve with Technique under the teaching of Bill Callahan and take all that raw talent and become the best tackle in the group.

All that being said I would be very happy with Wills, Thomas or Wirfs at #10, and I would be thrilled with a trade down and still get Becton or Jones later in the first while picking up more draft picks.

I'm really interested to see what happens in free agency and what our draft needs will actually be

You're gambling on ceiling with Wirfs. He's very raw, but insanely talented. He's the most talented OT by far in my opinion and produces the most "wow" plays. But he also gives up the easiest pressures too. He has a lot of work to do, but boy is he talented.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You're gambling on ceiling with Wirfs. He's very raw, but insanely talented. He's the most talented OT by far in my opinion and produces the most "wow" plays. But he also gives up the easiest pressures too. He has a lot of work to do, but boy is he talented.

Certainly possible.  It will be REALLY interesting to see what this front office is looking for.

I think a lot of the pass protection plays are going to be much different in stefanski's scheme.  He disguises so many things I don't know how much pocket pressures there are going to be.  I see mostly move play action stuff and I do think that fits very well into Wirfs skillset.

Again I actually think Thomas is my favorite prospect.  I just think Wirfs fits the best with us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Andrew Thomas and Mekhi Becton both play LT, even though Wirffs was a RT at Iowa, he is the most athletic out of all of the top 4 OT's, so I feel strongly he can switch sides. Willis I feel based on what I saw, will be hurt the most by moving to the Left Side of the line. I feel he will be able to play LT.

Everything I read on him is that they believe he will be just fine as a LT. With some projecting him as being the best LT. It’s just a great draft for tackles. 

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

So why not eliminate one possibly major variable?

I like where you're going on this one. The commonality between the two scenarios is players, so if we don't draft players then they can't fail us. It's so simple when you think about it. I mean, it's worked for the Rams not drafting anyone ever 🤷‍♂️.

Wills just does not seem like the elite athlete I keep hearing he is. He’s technically sound and does a great job in pass pro, but I don’t see him dominate on any reps. He reminds me of Mitchell Schwartz when he was in Cleveland. Not giving up pressures, but not creating big holes in the run game either. Just kind of does his job adequately. That’s fine, but I like dudes that can ruin your face in the run game. 

For as good as our OL was in pass pro when we had Thomas/Bitonio/Mack/Greco/Schwartz, we sacrificed a lot in the run game. I’d take that line back in a heartbeat, but I always thought we should have prioritized being a more physical bunch rather than a finesse bunch.

• Like 2