NFC North 2020

Golfman

What are we going to do to get better? 

1. The Vikings are going to regress. Terrible cap situation and a lot of guys who are in decline. Rumors are Diggs could be on the block and they may give Cook a big deal. I see them no better than 3rd place next year.

2. The Bears are going to ship a second round pick to Oakland for Derrick Carr, book it. That makes them immediately better on offense, but their defense is going to slip, no question about it. Once that second round pick is gone the resources are too with Carr's contract coming Chicago's way. They would almost assuredly need to extend him immediately to relieve some cap space, but they still will need to move a player or two or stand pat.  

3. The Lions are going to be the biggest benefactor of the Carr trade to Chicago. They now have a bidding war for Tua at #3 because I don't see anyway Washington can move out of the 2 slot and pass on Young. If they do Detroit still wins by grabbing Yound. If they don't the ransom they will get for Tua is going to give them a lot of draft capital to get a lot better. I could see them moving to 5 and still getting the guy they covet at 3, Okudah. 

So what are we going to do to get better, because if the Bears get Carr, they are better, a little at least. The Lions are going to improve and the Vikings, not so much! 

I don't think the Vikings lose out on 2nd place. Even with the Carr trade, as you said, resources are thin. They're going to have to hit on a lot of lower draft picks in this upcoming draft. I can see them switching places with Detroit. There are rumors that Stafford might get traded so look for that deal to go through to a team like San Diego for their 2nd round pick or that and a player of starter quality to be named; maybe Melvin Ingram. 

I think we need to R-E-L-A-X here. We've got this division sealed up barring an injury to #12 or a horrible defense that regresses. We're going to hit on at least one WR not named Adams this year. Our running game will set up the pass. Sternberger will get more looks and produce.

First we have to not regress. Step one was signing Crosby. Step 2 is signing Bulaga.

Second we progress. Step 1 by using FA to sign a vet IDL, and a ILB. Step 2 drafting a couple of WRs. Step 3 draft a center and T to eventually replace Linsley and Bulaga. 

I'm not worried. These are all doable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

First we have to not regress. Step one was signing Crosby. Step 2 is signing Bulaga.

Second we progress. Step 1 by using FA to sign a vet IDL, and a ILB. Step 2 drafting a couple of WRs. Step 3 draft a center and T to eventually replace Linsley and Bulaga. 

I'm not worried. These are all doable.

I agree we want to progress, but think we need more htan an IDL and ILB on defense. We need depth at EDGE. I don't see Fackrell coming back and he's a JAG. WE absolutely need Gary to take a major step and another guy besides him. We were exceptionally lucky injury wise this year. That is not likely to happen again. 

I've got concerns other than what you are suggesting, although it's a very good start. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I agree we want to progress, but think we need more htan an IDL and ILB on defense. We need depth at EDGE. I don't see Fackrell coming back and he's a JAG. WE absolutely need Gary to take a major step and another guy besides him. We were exceptionally lucky injury wise this year. That is not likely to happen again. 

I've got concerns other than what you are suggesting, although it's a very good start. 

Fackrell is replaceable. And Gary will improve. 

Securing right tackle will be huge. It's either Bulaga or someone else, but that's very important. Solidifying the center front of the defense is also a high priority. There are several adequate D-linemen available, again doable. I think Clark, Keke, and a FA with Lowery and maybe a rookie should shore it up. 

Inside LB is more of a concern. There is little to build from. Raven Greene will be back. One FA signing should be affordable, and then some of the young guys have to step up. 

What are you other concerns?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Fackrell is replaceable. And Gary will improve. 

Securing right tackle will be huge. It's either Bulaga or someone else, but that's very important. Solidifying the center front of the defense is also a high priority. There are several adequate D-linemen available, again doable. I think Clark, Keke, and a FA with Lowery and maybe a rookie should shore it up. 

Inside LB is more of a concern. There is little to build from. Raven Greene will be back. One FA signing should be affordable, and then some of the young guys have to step up. 

What are you other concerns?

WR not named Advante Adams. Lazard wsa improving and would be a decent to solid #2, but who is going to be #2? MVS completely disappeared so can you even count on him? St. Brown is an unknown and Kuerow is a JAG! 

TE where do the catches come from? Most think Graham is gone and he should be for the money he makes and the holes we need to fill. Tonyan was a no show and Lewis, if he comes back offers little. Sternberger should improve but is it enough. 

Depth in a lot of positions. Again we were very lucky in that department last year. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

WR not named Advante Adams. Lazard wsa improving and would be a decent to solid #2, but who is going to be #2? MVS completely disappeared so can you even count on him? St. Brown is an unknown and Kuerow is a JAG! 

TE where do the catches come from? Most think Graham is gone and he should be for the money he makes and the holes we need to fill. Tonyan was a no show and Lewis, if he comes back offers little. Sternberger should improve but is it enough. 

Depth in a lot of positions. Again we were very lucky in that department last year. 

Great draft year for WRs. I would take two in the first three picks, if the board falls right. 

TE I'm not as worried about. Sternberger will be great with another training camp (how's that for a prediction!). I think Tonyan and Lewis will be adequate depth. 

Of course injuries are always a concern and completely unpredictable, but that goes for the rest of the NFL too. I think MLF has a pretty good handle on it. Should be interesting how MM does with injuries in Dallas.

59 minutes ago, Leader said:

We will progress. Thats all that matters :)

Regress* The Packers record last year under that play is not sustainable. Anyone that believes it is, needs to take their homer glasses off and stop drinking the Koolaid. All you're doing is setting yourself up to be disappointed with the 2020 season outcome. We're still quite a few pieces away from being the team ya'll think we already are. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Regress* The Packers record last year under that play is not sustainable. Anyone that believes it is, needs to take their homer glasses off and stop drinking the Koolaid. All you're doing is setting yourself up to be disappointed with the 2020 season outcome. We're still quite a few pieces away from being the team ya'll think we already are. 

We can absolutely still progress while finishing with a worse record.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

We can absolutely still progress while finishing with a worse record.

That's fair. I'll give you that. However, a huge part of that was us being healthy last year for relatively the better part of the entire season (almost unheard of especially in Green Bay) -- That won't happen again next year, at least I don't expect it to. We will assuredly be hit with injuries and our depth needs a lot of help if you want to progress. This off-season is huge for us and unfortunately, we don't have the bankroll to make the moves it would take to sustain that kind of play. That's jmo. 

Edited by Nick_gb

If ever there was a year to go all in, it would be this year. The question is can we get over the hump in doing so? That's a real debate. Do you go and get a Chris Jones as was mentioned someplace here? I mean, that almost assures your defense moves into the top 10. Still have to get another WR who can get it done on a weekly basis. Are we Andre Rison serious and we go after say, OBJ? I think he's on the block and probably not a outrageous price regarding capital. He's got 4 years left on his contract and it appears none of it was guaranteed. 

I'm against that move personally because I think he's more concerned with his 'brand' than football at this point. 

Edited by Golfman

I like where the packers stand for 2020. 

MN- They might be able to squeeze out one more run with this core but I feel like this year it hits the fan this year.  The

Chi- it all boils down to qb. 

Det- If stafford plays all year and they make the right moves, we’ll see. They’ll either get a boat load of picks or chase young. Throw in cap space and they can turn it around 

There is a reason the division is so important every year. Any team that gets into the playoffs reasonably healthy can have a shot. The Packers had one this year. If they can shore up some weak spots that just makes their chances better. But as to the North...

The Vikings have long been a paper tiger. They have tons of talented pieces but rarely seem to put it together. At the center of that is Cousins. He's going to crumble under pressure, and I will continue to believe that unless it starts changing.

The Bears are a mess. The Mack move was a double down on Trubisky and now the cupboard is sparse because it hasn't worked out. Trading for Carr may improve QB but there are still many holes and that's another fairly premium draft pick lost.

The Lions are the Lions. Occasionally they will hit on a few really high draft picks, but Stafford has been good enough to keep them in purgatory.

The North is the Packers to lose.

• Like 1